You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can TOC span multiple pages of the same topic as one?

I started creating a multipage manual with the latest beta, just to get to know the program better.
So far, everything worked out fine and I found out everything I needed intuitively.

Then I created a Table of Content for the document, listing all the H1 headlines.

But what if one section spans over multiple pages, all having the same headline?
Right now, the TOC lists every page in it's own line:

Example:

First Topic          Page 2
Second Topic    Page 3
Third Topic         Page 4
Third Topic         Page 5
Third Topic         Page 6
Fourth Topic      Page 7

Is it possible to change that, so it looks like this?:

First Topic         Page 2
Second Topic    Page 3
Third Topic        Page 4-6
Fourth Topic      Page 7

or at least

Second Topic    Page 3
Third Topic        Page 4
Fourth Topic      Page 7

And if so, how?

5 hours ago, LostInTranslation said:

or at least

Second Topic    Page 3
Third Topic        Page 4
Fourth Topic      Page 7

And if so, how?

A work around will give you the last option, you'll have to make a new H1 style. Call it H1b and change nothing from H1 but use it on all the subsequent pages i.e. Pages 5 and 6 for the Third Topic items. Then you can just choose H1 for the Table of Contents. I realize this is not ideal.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

26 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I realize this is not ideal.

But a clever workaround :)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

13 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

A work around will give you the last option, you'll have to make a new H1 style. Call it H1b and change nothing from H1 but use it on all the subsequent pages i.e. Pages 5 and 6 for the Third Topic items. Then you can just choose H1 for the Table of Contents. I realize this is not ideal.

That's a good workaround indeed. And totally doable in my case.
But maybe it's a thing that could also be implemented as a feature. I guess it happens very often that sections span over multiple pages.

8 minutes ago, LostInTranslation said:

But maybe it's a thing that could also be implemented as a feature. I guess it happens very often that sections span over multiple pages.

I'm curious about something. Did you really put a header for that section on each page that it spanned?

If so, I have to say that I wouldn't have done that. Normally in my experience as a reader a header appears only at the start of a section, and thus would appear only once in the ToC.

If you were wanting a top of page header that would be handled differently, I think. For example, you could use the Section Manager to arrange the pages in sections. You could put a section/chapter header (Heading 1 or 2) at the start of the section, and on subsequent pages you could put an additional text frame at the top of the page containing the section name, which can be inserted using the Fields studio/panel.

(I can provide a sample later if you'd like, when I'm back at my computer.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

For example, you could use the Section Manager to arrange the pages in sections. You could put a section/chapter header (Heading 1 or 2) at the start of the section, and on subsequent pages you could put an additional text frame at the top of the page containing the section name, which can be inserted using the Fields studio/panel.

Interesting, I never knew about the section manager, have to check that out.
In my case it makes sense to put the same header on every page,  but in general you are right.