You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why are there TWO lock children buttons?

Why on earth do we have 2 lock children buttons placed in 2 different places dependent upon my TWO picture frames for ONE image?  So confusing.Capture1.JPG.2a5cda6e0b7967104d24c57ca1799bbf.JPGCapture2.JPG.54c3f706cd26fbc6df2d23e443ce46fc.JPG

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

Hallo Wosven, that nesting was not intentional.  I have noo idea how that happened except to say that I imported the image as IMAGE, using the place command, then needed to move frame without moving image and move image inside frame so needed to convert to picture frame....yes that sounds confusing only because I am still trying to get my head around what does what in what frame and how each of the frame types work.  IE move frame without moving image, move image without moving frame, when to have image frame when to have picture frame, and how each image is treated by publisher in each frame.  I'll get there.

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

Two questions:

1. Perhaps I'm blind, but I see only 1 lock children button in the first post in this topic (left image, labeled "lock children" in the context menu). Where's the second one that I'm not seeing?
  2. Why don't I seem to get any Lock Children buttons at all, when using picture frames? Certainly none in the Context Menu where I expected one.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:
  1. Why don't I seem to get any Lock Children buttons at all, when using picture frames? Certainly none in the Context Menu where I expected one.

Hi @walt.farrell,

please see my post (with screenshot) from today. If APub's window is not wide enough the 'Lock children' checkbox get's cut off and is hidden behind a double right arrow flyout sign. Can you find it there?

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

1 hour ago, dominik said:

Hi @walt.farrell,

please see my post (with screenshot) from today. If APub's window is not wide enough the 'Lock children' checkbox get's cut off and is hidden behind a double right arrow flyout sign. Can you find it there?

Yes. Thank you. I had two problems. First, that control only shows up in the context menu for the Move Tool, and second when it shows up there it's off-screen as you indicated.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

First, that control only shows up in the context menu for the Move Tool

This is correct, that is another prerequisite. We're getting there :)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

13 hours ago, Wosven said:

Each picture frame's got its own lock children button.

That does not make sense. But apparantly as I have just gathered from Dominik's comment to Walt, Affinity are aware of this anomaly. 

11 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Perhaps I'm blind, but I see only 1 lock children button in the first post in this topic (left image, labeled "lock children" in the context menu). Where's the second one that I'm not seeing?

I’m with Walt on this: I only see one ‘Lock Children’ button — actually a checkbox, but let’s not quibble! — in the OP’s screenshots. o.O

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

MEB and Mr. Alfred, in the second screen shot far right hand side just above that 'x' which closes the document. Click on that and you get a drop down menu. Lock children and convert to curves choice.

3 hours ago, Chris26 said:

in the second screen shot far right hand side just above that 'x' which closes the document.

You mean the double-greater-than-sign thing?

That shows up when there are too many things to fit on the context toolbar (window is too narrow) and allows access to options which didn't fit.

You are not getting two "Lock Children" options.  The one that is "hidden" in that menu is the same one you pictured on the left, but displayed in the menu when other things push it so far to the right that there isn't room to display it normally.

If you have a large enough display to make your window sufficiently wider it will turn back into a checkbox and once everything is displayed in the context toolbar the ">>" thing will disappear.

I do and there is always plenty of room because that context menu is never full, ever.  So Lock children should always be there. 1366 x 768 screen is quite adequate.  Besides, how can I edit the context menu above, I know how to edit the toolbar.

3 hours ago, MEB said:

What Tool (from the left toolbar) do you have selected in both cases? Move Tool,... other?

In both cases the move tool.  And the oddest thing is I can not seem to repeat this.  I can not get that lock children back again (the large one on the left).

1 minute ago, MEB said:

It's possible it was a casual glitch.

Ah Ok, so I presume that a larger than life button is expected within the next few months?:)