You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I feather this?

The image on the left is the one with a line and is a picture frame, image on right is image.  I need to feather so that there is no abrupt dividing line seen. I want to combine the two seamlessly without having to take into photoshop and combine there, which is easy to do, but if there is a way in affinity I would finally like to know how to do this please. 

Capture.JPG.007f44a35ea8d730271b6986b6e17fe0.JPG

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

1 hour ago, Chris26 said:

I want to combine the two seamlessly without having to take into photoshop and combine there

Look into the transparency tool (Y). Or look into masks. I'm in a hurry but I'm sure you'll figure this out.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Yes, Transparency I am using quite frequently, it creates a nice feather as long as you tail it off in certain ways and angles, but now and again you use transparency and the angle has to be in a certain way that lends itself to this sort of situation where you have that border.  

Now, do not get me started on that nemesis of mine, the masks.  I have used complex masks in photoshop nearly 12 years now, so I know most of what there is to know.  But this beast in affinity has no comparison whatsoever with masks in photoshop, it has confused and confounded me since I first tried to use them.  They do not make any sense at all, they do not work in the same way and I have no idea how to use them and when I have tried to work it out, I end up creating all sorts of mysterious things on the images that I practise with .  One 15 minute tutorial from affinity is all it takes.....:( 

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

.  One 15 minute tutorial from affinity is all it takes.....:( 

Yes, but demonstrated and  spoken slow’w’w’w’w’w’w’ly.    Preferrably with the light UI.    So hard to squint at all those tiny little black arrows galloping back anf forth between tiny little words in tiny little menus in all that black at about 65 mph!   Maybe a 17 min tutorial?

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

2 hours ago, Chris26 said:

that lends itself to this sort of situation where you have that border.

OK, I understand. Then you should be able to accomplish what you want. You just have to make sure that 100% transparency is not outside the top object. Otherwise you get that kind of abrupt dividing line.

2 hours ago, Chris26 said:

Now, do not get me started on that nemesis of mine, the masks. 

I'm sorry, my advice towards masks in APub is a little misleading at the moment. They will be fully usable once the Photo Persona is enabled. At the moment there are no pixel tools in APub and you cannot paint on a mask with a brush. That is what I was thinking of.

What you can do at the moment is apply a gradient (from white to black) to a mask. This fades out the image as well. But it is basically the same as the Transparency Tool.

From what you write about your experience with masks in Photoshop I do not have to explain you anything in this regard :) 
I assume you are aware of the mask tutorials for APh at vimeo? After a little training, experimenting and getting used to it I am able to handle masks quite good in Affinity Photo and Designer.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

11 hours ago, dominik said:

You just have to make sure that 100% transparency is not outside the top object

Hallo Dominik, I do not understand what you mean by this at all, I'm sorry.  2 Screen shots the first one has a nice seamless flow, the second one I just moved the Black point to the left slightly.  Would you be kind enough to explain please.  Thanks for the Vimeo link, no I ws not aware of this at all, I shall watch some and see how aPhoto compares with PS.

Capture1.JPG.331f20275353824699a3a538e2b2911f.JPGCapture.JPG.97bd92f2cbb81ba1b479b9af4716aa1a.JPG

4 minutes ago, Chris26 said:

Hallo Dominik, I do not understand what you mean by this at all, I'm sorry.  2 Screen shots the first one has a nice seamless flow, the second one I just moved the Black point to the left slightly.  Would you be kind enough to explain please.  Thanks for the Vimeo link, no I ws not aware of this at all, I shall watch some and see how aPhoto compares with PS.

Capture1.JPG.331f20275353824699a3a538e2b2911f.JPGCapture.JPG.97bd92f2cbb81ba1b479b9af4716aa1a.JPG

Hi Chris26, thanks for the screenshot, that helps.

I was referring to a transparency 'gradient' that is exactly horizontally. That way you can fade the right border of the top image and a transparency of 0 (zero) is assigned to the pixels at the right border.

If you apply a transparency diagonally you will have pixels of different transparency along the border and this creates the effect as seen above.

What you can try (I'm not at my APub computer right now) is to assign multiple transparencies. The first one like the one you show in your screenshot. Then you create a group of the  pictureframe of the top image (not both images). Then you can apply a horizontal transparency fade from left (no transparency) to right (full transparency). This should give a smooth transition.

d.

Ok, quite a lot there you said, I will have a go later on and delve a bit deeper.  Thankyou Dominik. 

Just now, Chris26 said:

Ok, quite a lot there you said, I will have a go later on and delve a bit deeper.  Thankyou Dominik. 

Yeah, delve in there :)

It will be easier once it is possible to paint with a pixel brush on the mask (= version 1.7 of APh is integrated into APub).
BTW, in the mean time you could switch to APh and play there with masks to get a hang of it.

Cheers,
d.

I thought you were referring to the gradient tool.  You used the term Transparency gradient.  So there I was playing around with the gradient tool.

33 minutes ago, Chris26 said:

You used the term Transparency gradient.

Yes, because I wouldn't know how to call it correctly ;)

I meant to refer to the Transparency Tool that offers to apply a gradual shift of transparency from value A to value B (or even more if you add stops inbetween).

d.

Well after several 15 minute srtints it can not be done in Publisher, if you create a horizontal or very near to horizontal 'transparency gradient' with transparency tool then yes, you can achieve a seamless transition between two images placed horizontally.  It is understandable really why it can not be done, the image edge is well, an image edge, I suppose I will just create the effect in PS and then Import again.

Well after several 15 minute srtints it can not be done in Publisher, if you create a horizontal or very near to horizontal 'transparency gradient' with transparency tool then yes, you can achieve a seamless transition between two images placed horizontally.  It is understandable really why it can not be done, the image edge is well, an image edge, I suppose I will just create the effect in PS and then Import again.

I think we're propabely trapped by the fact that APub is not finished yet. As of this early beta all the extra functionality that will come with APh and AD integrated in APub is just not there yet. This is a known limitation and you are right to look into a temporary solution in the meantime.

Cheers,
d.

Yes. I keep forgetting that. Long gone are the days when I created a design pixel by pixel on an Amstrad in the late 80's and never complained about the lack of functionality.  Now it seems we just take miracles for granted and still demand more. ( I was very young when I started,)9_9

SOLVED, well I guess I created my own miracle, thought I would try one last idea that popped into my head.  I imported the right image at small size, I imported the left image and increased its size to 3 times the right image, allowing for the fact that I had plenty of PPi to play with so it is at 300 PPI. It worked. These are actually two images with a seamless join.

Capture.JPG.677255995df68d6f7ad2d81e6502828c.JPG

4 hours ago, Chris26 said:

SOLVED, well I guess I created my own miracle, thought I would try one last idea that popped into my head. 

Congratulations! I'm glad you found a way to get this done. And this in the limited environment of APup without the full fuctionality :)

d.

• 4 months later...

I have been going mad trying to "feather"  - so easy in PPX!   I've tried all sorts of things and can't crack it - I still have a hard edge with an elliptical on a square/oblong rectangle tool.  I've put it behind my script and thought this morning I would try 2 masks over each other to soften all the edges - most you can see a hard edge even if it's lighter.  It's a lot of messing around, and worthy of throwing a party at the end if I ever get it!  I've tried both the transparency tool and the fill tools.

I'm a capable user of PPX but not trained in graphics, so I learn as I go.  Doing a 20pp booklet at present so really want it to work.  I thought I'd try in APub to get used to working with it, but I'm tearing my hair out a bit.

I just want a simple white to nothing even fade-out as a background for some script boxes to lighten the master background - and without a hard edge.  The feather in PPX is all I really need.  I thought I just didn't understand, but it seems others way more experienced can't achieve it either.  Something for Serif to add to the build perhaps?  (yes, we are a demanding lot!  It's still way better than the letraset days! lol)

I'm thinking of making up a couple of background frames in PPX, saving as a png, and using in APub.......  probably the best way with the least time expended ATM.

J.

I have just found that all I needed was a gassian blur from the fx panel - maybe it's worked because it's over the rectangle with the transparency tool - I don't know yet, but a tutorial would be good - there's a lot to remember when taking on something new... so maybe a little tutorial would be helpful to others.  I'd searched and searched - maybe I'm asking for the wrong thing.... but my (thought)  process might be helpful to you as it's taken me a looooooooong time to find what I need because I'm trying to do it through the transparency.  (The PPX idea didn't work either!)

I didn't want kind people wasting time replying either, so hopped back on to say I'd sorted it.

• 2 months later...

Hi Jenny,

"I just want a simple white to nothing even fade-out as a background for some script boxes to lighten the master background - and without a hard edge.   The feather in PPX [PagePlus Xn] is all I really need."

I wanted to mimic PagePlus's "feather effect" too, and found a way to more or less replicate it in Affinity Publisher. I wonder whether my post, here, might help?

• 7 months later...

I too have been very much missing the feather effect in Affinity Publisher, particularly the "crop - feather".

I have just discovered I can achieve most of what I need by using the Effect "Inner Glow".  It works on images, cropped images, picture frames, shapes, and most other objects.  Hurray!