You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Display Performance: Metal export crash [1.7.0.2]

Choosing Metal in Display Performance preferences, and then hitting Export causes immediate crash. MBP 2015 with AMD R9 M370X card - listed in System Info as: 'Metal: Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily2 v1'

MacBook Pro M1 Max, macOS 12.6.1 Monterey
Affinity Designer : 2.0  Affinity Photo: 2.0,   Affinity Publisher: 2.0

• Staff

Hi iaing,

I've just tried this myself, but have been unable to reproduce it. Do you have a copy of the crash report you could attach please? Also does it happen on a new document, or is it specific to a document you already have open? I take it is is File > Export you are clicking on?

Thanks!

I can't re-produce it now either Sean - the file I was using does seem to be freaking Designer out though, it's an 88mb pdf created by non-Beta Designer, and when I click on another tab and back to it, the title bar shows things like 'loading 1075 images' - it's single pdf - same if I zoom in or out. When I imported the pdf Designer offered to 'link the image to save disk space' which I said yes to - don't know if that's related. Happy to share the file privately if you want it for testing.

1 minute ago, MattP said:

Designer shouldn’t be linking images - it’s an accidental inclusion from Publisher, sorry! :/

That's a shame!!

1 minute ago, MattP said:

It has no resource manager at present, so no method to manage the linked images. It will pick up linked images when Publisher has sorted all the wrinkles out ;)

YAY!

I think the 'loading xxx images' is down to a very complex vector file in the original pdf, can see the preview re-drawing across the screen while the menu bar display that message - small section attached:

Screenshot 2018-11-19 at 20.16.14.png

3 hours ago, Sean P said:

Would you be able to share the PDF with us please Iaing. If you'd rather not upload it to the forum, let me know and I can give you a Dropbox link.

Hi Sean, sure, no problem, yes please Dropbox link

• Staff

Thanks for the file! Unfortunately I'm not getting the message saying it is 'loading 1075 images'. I've tried Placing, with both embedded and linked images (which as Matt said shouldn't currently be there), and even opening the PDF directly I don't get that message.

Would you be able to do a Step by Step recipe on how you're getting that to appear? 

Thanks!

Typically it's not happening here either now - have updated to .03 since. You know when you zoom in or out and everything goes pixelated, then quickly redraws to vector quality? It was doing that very slowly, and that's when the 'loading xxx images' was coming up, but like I say, can't get it to do it now.

How do you find it placing that file? On mine it takes about 25secs of spinning beachball.

• Staff
1 minute ago, iaing said:

Typically it's not happening here either now - have updated to .03 since. You know when you zoom in or out and everything goes pixelated, then quickly redraws to vector quality? It was doing that very slowly, and that's when the 'loading xxx images' was coming up, but like I say, can't get it to do it now.

How do you find it placing that file? On mine it takes about 25secs of spinning beachball.

That was about the same as yours, however it is an absolutely massive file with thousands of individual objects and images in. When opened in Designer it is around 26,000 px by 14,000px so there is a lot of image data inside it, so I can't say it was entirely unexpected

• 1 month later...
On 11/19/2018 at 3:07 PM, MattP said:

Designer shouldn’t be linking images - it’s an accidental inclusion from Publisher, sorry! :/

Bring File Linking to AD, @MattP...  you know you want to do it...

image.png

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

That's great news! Happy New Year!!

12 hours ago, MattP said:

lol, it'll be included after Publisher releases and it is guaranteed to be stable! :)

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.