You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

export options

Is there any documentation on the various export options? I'm specifically interested in the PDF options. I don't generally look at the PDF that's generated, but when I generate PDF for web, I get a 45MB file. It pixelizes badly, which I am not too surprised at given 45MB and 300 images. On the other hand, if I export "for export" I get a 950MB file. I can guess that this simply takes all of the files at maximum resolution. But what about PDF/x4, which presumably is intended to go to print? It's 68MB, although "export for print" yields 170MB.

I have done a reasonable amount of due diligence - export doesn't yield anything in Help->Publisher Help, and the google hits on this turn up mostly in foreign languages and don't appear to be too relevant to publisher.

I'm on the latest .174 on a Mac running Mojave.

HI blw

The main differences is the DPI ans vonBusing mentions and how many of the elements are flattened, as well as things like transparency. Export and print set the dpi to document resolution for raster elements, web sets it to 72dpi. Flatten rasterises the entire document into a single image.  PDF X hav different standards as to what can be kept as vector and what has to be rasterised along with things like colour modes

It's these variations that attribute to the differing PDF file sizes

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

52 minutes ago, blw said:

... (It ought to be in the help somewhere!) 

See: Affinity Publisher Beta Help > Publishing and Sharing > PDF Publishing > Publishing PDF Files:

1. Choose a PDF Preset and a Raster DPI to set the resolution for rasterization of effects on export. Presets include:
    • PDF (for export)—Exports to PDF 1.7 (Acrobat 8) at document resolution, no image downsampling, overprint on, embed all fonts and use (and embed) document profile as colour space.
    • PDF (for print)—Exports to PDF 1.7 (Acrobat 8) at 300 DPI, image downsampling to 450 DPI, overprint on, embed all fonts, use (and embed) document profile as colour space, allow advanced features.
    • PDF (for web)—Exports to PDF 1.7 (Acrobat 8) at 72 DPI, image downsampling to 108 DPI and sRGB colour space.
    • PDF (for flatten)—Exports to PDF 1.7 (Acrobat 8) at document resolution, rasterises all content, no image downsampling, overprint on, embed all fonts and use (and embed) document profile as colour space.
    • PDF (PDF/X-1a:2003), PDF (PDF/X-3:2003), PDF (PDF/X-4)—Exports using pro print PDF presets that conform to specific CMYK print standards.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

In this help text are two resolutions mentioned for some presets.
I just tried them and noticed that the first value in the help text is the one which ends up in the PDF.

– But what is the second resolution value, which says "downsampling to ..." ?

– Might it mean "downsampling if larger than ..." ?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

thomaso - i've tweaked the help now..

PDF(for web): change "image downsampling to 450 dpi" to "downsample images of >450 dpi"
PDF (for print): change change "image downsampling to 108 dpi" to "downsample images of >108 dpi"

Andy Capstick

Affinity docs

• 1 month later...
On 11/23/2018 at 6:39 PM, thomaso said:

See: Affinity Publisher Beta Help > Publishing and Sharing > PDF Publishing > Publishing PDF Files:

1. Choose a PDF Preset and a Raster DPI to set the resolution for rasterization of effects on export. Presets include:
    • PDF (for export)—Exports to PDF 1.7 (Acrobat 8) at document resolution, no image downsampling, overprint on, embed all fonts and use (and embed) document profile as colour space.
    • PDF (for print)—Exports to PDF 1.7 (Acrobat 8) at 300 DPI, image downsampling to 450 DPI, overprint on, embed all fonts, use (and embed) document profile as colour space, allow advanced features.
    • PDF (for web)—Exports to PDF 1.7 (Acrobat 8) at 72 DPI, image downsampling to 108 DPI and sRGB colour space.
    • PDF (for flatten)—Exports to PDF 1.7 (Acrobat 8) at document resolution, rasterises all content, no image downsampling, overprint on, embed all fonts and use (and embed) document profile as colour space.
    • PDF (PDF/X-1a:2003), PDF (PDF/X-3:2003), PDF (PDF/X-4)—Exports using pro print PDF presets that conform to specific CMYK print standards.

When exporting to PDF almost all images in all export options are rasterised, in my cases. Looks like the beta version is not capable yet to handle images as it should when it comes to a final release?

• Staff

Hi Robin3,

Raster images (JPG, PNG, etc) are raster anyway - the export options only affect downsampling of those in different ways. Do you mean if you placed a vector image such as SVG you were expecting some level of edibility after export but you didn't get any? I'll investigate further if so.

\AndyC

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.