You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No difference in Document-Size (linked / embedded)

Hi,

according to my understanding the file size should change depending on whether I embed or link an image.
I just tested with a very large document containing about 200 images.  I saved the document once with embedded and once with linked images. The file size is exactly the same in both cases. Is that normal?

Thanks and br

Martin

• Staff

Yes, I think so. I understand that "linked" is (currently still) adding the files to the document (and previews too), but Affinity Publisher notices when the linked files have changed, and the embedded version does not take any notice of those changes. This behaviour is not what many will expect but has been done for architectural reasons and speed/reliability of opening.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 minute ago, Patrick Connor said:

This behaviour is not what many will expect but has been done for architectural reasons and speed/reliability of opening.

Does this mean that, being ‘by design’, the behaviour is unlikely to change? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

I do not know if we have settled on this. Initially it was by design, but I understand that it may change (or be optional). I will let you know if I find out any more. Assume "by design" for now.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

57 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Yes, I think so. I understand that "linked" is (currently still) adding the files to the document (and previews too), but Affinity Publisher notices when the linked files have changed, and the embedded version does not take any notice of those changes. This behaviour is not what many will expect but has been done for architectural reasons and speed/reliability of opening.

Hi Patrick,

I think that this behaviour is effected by the general preferences settings: "Automatically update linked resources when modified externally". Affinity Publisher asked me to link all the images due to the document size. In my opinion this means that linked images should take up much less space in the document. But I can't confirm that at the moment.

Just seen this in the Designer Beta too, (though there's no mention in release notes yet of Designer gaining linked images) - I agree with Martin -  sounds to me like the intended result is smaller file size, just not working that way yet.

Screenshot 2018-11-18 at 20.42.34.png

MacBook Pro M1 Max, macOS 12.6.1 Monterey
Affinity Designer : 2.0  Affinity Photo: 2.0,   Affinity Publisher: 2.0

• Staff
2 hours ago, iaing said:

Just seen this in the Designer Beta too, (though there's no mention in release notes yet of Designer gaining linked images) - I agree with Martin -  sounds to me like the intended result is smaller file size, just not working that way yet.

Screenshot 2018-11-18 at 20.42.34.png

Hmmmm, quite so

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Patrick, I think Affinity/Serif should decide to have linked files not also embedded in the document. The convenience of automatic updates is one thing. The other thing is that it is much easier to handle Publisher files when they are not in the x-hundred-megabyte range.

I use to keep a few iterations of a given project as different files, just in case. With even the linked files embedded Affinity documents unnecessarily gobble up huge amounts of SSD space on my Mac that I had better uses for.

• 6 months later...
  • Staff
8 minutes ago, randomjames said:

Any updates on this issue?

Affinity Publisher can link to files without a significant increase in the filesize. Currently Affinity Designer doesn't offer linked and doesn't have the resource manager that allows easy access to this.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Hi Patrick,

Is there something I'm doing wrong? I'm using publisher and am linking to a number of Designer files. My Publisher file is over 400 MB in size. Is this normal? My expectation is that the Publisher file should be very small if it's simply referring to linked files. 

Screen Shot 2019-06-03 at 2.44.42 PM.png

3 minutes ago, randomjames said:

Is there something I'm doing wrong? I'm using publisher and am linking to a number of Designer files. My Publisher file is over 400 MB in size. Is this normal? My expectation is that the Publisher file should be very small if it's simply referring to linked files.

The cost savings are not as great currently when linking to .afpub, .afphoto, or .afdesign files. I think there's a bug report open abut that. Or maybe there's no saving at all; I'm not sure.

But other files work fine.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.