You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

"Temporary Shortcut" to Zoom

In Adobe you hold Cmd Space to temporarily access the zoom function. This is a tool I use all the time, it is so useful not to have to come out of a text box, hit Z, zoom, and then go back to the text. Zoom to selection helps a bit but isn't the same. Any chance of a key combo for "temporary" access to the zoom?

1 hour ago, Serenak said:

In Adobe you hold Cmd Space to temporarily access the zoom function. This is a tool I use all the time, it is so useful not to have to come out of a text box, hit Z, zoom, and then go back to the text. Zoom to selection helps a bit but isn't the same. Any chance of a key combo for "temporary" access to the zoom?

CTRL + mousewheel zooms in and out. In preferences you can even set 'Use mouse wheel to zoom'. Then no modifier key at all is required.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

9 hours ago, Serenak said:

I am using MAC Sierra.   For my computer the correct temporary zooming shortcuts are in Preferences>Keyboard Shortcuts>View.   Zooming in is Command + the “+” key.   Zooming out is Command + the minus key.   

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

1 hour ago, jmwellborn said:

I am using MAC Sierra.   For my computer the correct temporary zooming shortcuts are in Preferences>Keyboard Shortcuts>View.   Zooming in is Command + the “+” key.   Zooming out is Command + the minus key.   

I see, so you don't have a mouse wheel :o

You could remap in Preferences>Keyboard Shortcuts>Tools>Zoom to a key close to the left Command key (on my german keyboard this would be '<' on an english keyboard this is '\' as far as I know). Then you could toggle to zoom and back to the previous tool. Not the same but not bad, either :)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

18 hours ago, dominik said:

you don't have a mouse wheel

If using one of the Apple "magic mouse" things, you can generally swipe in the middle of the mouse as if a wheel were there to get the equivalent.

With a track pad, you use two fingers to simulate a scroll wheel.

18 hours ago, dominik said:

I see, so you don't have a mouse wheel :o

You could remap in Preferences>Keyboard Shortcuts>Tools>Zoom to a key close to the left Command key (on my german keyboard this would be '<' on an english keyboard this is '\' as far as I know). Then you could toggle to zoom and back to the previous tool. Not the same but not bad, either :)

d.

But if one is left-handed, the key close to Command is Z.    

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.

1 hour ago, Fixx said:

Space-CMD works ok, unfortunately CMD-SPACE does not. Thus if you are in a text box you are outta luck.

It is Command plus the plus key (+) to zoom in.   Command plus the minus key (-) to zoom back out.   That was what I meant by Command + the + key.   Etc.   Works.

4 hours ago, jmwellborn said:

But if one is left-handed, the key close to Command is Z.    

Yes for sure. The idea is to remap to a key that is close to the CMD (or CTRL) key and is not used by another tool. On either side of the keyboard whatever fits personal needs best.

d.

4 hours ago, fde101 said:

If using one of the Apple "magic mouse" things, you can generally swipe in the middle of the mouse as if a wheel were there to get the equivalent.

I am not really familiar with Apple computers and hardware. So, it is possible to mimick a CTRL+mousewheel action with a 'magic mouse'?

4 hours ago, fde101 said:

With a track pad, you use two fingers to simulate a scroll wheel.

Even my Windows laptop offers with it's trackpad this two fingers gesture. And I just discovered that this together with the CTRL-key zooms in and out. You learn something new every day :)

d.

6 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Thanks @fde101,

I am glad to have a real mouse wheel under my finger. I assume this qualifies me to be 'old fashioned' ;)  Please consider my Apple Pencil as an utensil to step onto the next level :)

d.

Well, I guess we have all thrashed this out.     À chacun son goût.  Cheers, everybody!

31 minutes ago, dominik said:

I am glad to have a real mouse wheel under my finger

There is a place for both.  I really like my Wacom tablet, which may be why I don't personally own a Magic Mouse - though I have used one and the lack of a physical wheel on that doesn't bother me nearly as much as the fact that it is wireless and can't be recharged while in use.  Apple makes some great products, but I think that particular design choice is dumb.

10 minutes ago, fde101 said:

I really like my Wacom tablet

I don't have a tablet like this (apart from the iPad) so I value your statement as a possible future shopping recommendation. Wacom's seem to have a certain reputation.

Apple makes some great products, but I think that particular design choice is dumb.

Interesting to hear that Apple is not alway perfect (in your point of view) ;)

d.

2 hours ago, fde101 said:

Apple makes some great products, but I think that particular design choice is dumb.

dumb to the point where I trashed mine after about four months.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I think I would have liked the magic mouse much more in a corded version, but as it is I have a regular USB gaming mouse I use for those games that the Wacom tablet doesn't work well for and for everything else I use the tablet.  Most of the time the mouse isn't even connected.

2 hours ago, fde101 said:

...I have a regular USB gaming mouse I use for those games that the Wacom tablet doesn't work well for ...

I can play games with the Wacom!?

Wait, I don't play games. Because losing all the time is dull and boring.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.