You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Imported Brushes have disappeared twice now

So, for the second time in about a month during after a Photo crash, all of the brushes that I had previously imported were gone.  I suspect there is no way to get them back without importing them all over again, but if there is I would LOVE to know how.  But my main question is, is there any way to back up the imported brushes or something so that if it happened again I do not have to re-import them all again.  Obviously, this is very time consuming!!  

Thanks to anyone who can help!

DHayes

3 hours ago, MeNan said:

So, for the second time in about a month during after a Photo crash, all of the brushes that I had previously imported were gone.  I suspect there is no way to get them back without importing them all over again, but if there is I would LOVE to know how.  But my main question is, is there any way to back up the imported brushes or something so that if it happened again I do not have to re-import them all again.  Obviously, this is very time consuming!!  

Thanks to anyone who can help!

DHayes

The burger menu is your friend.

You could create your own category of brushes, and then export them as a backup using the burger menu, choosing Export Brushes

export.jpg.3ab38f2cd37401612da26ed8ec2c0ae1.jpg

They will be saved as a .afbrushes file. 

You can reload backed up brushes by using the burger menu and clicking Import Brushes.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Brushes are stored in the directory: 
%AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\user\

all together in the file  raster_brushes.propcoll

So, if you find a recent backup to restore them ...

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

10 hours ago, MeNan said:

So, for the second time in about a month during after a Photo crash,

Every change on brushes or macro-library.... will afaik only  REAL stored, after close/reopen AP. 

I had the same by reorganize my macro-categorys with this stupid 1step-up/dwn longwindowed system. I do a half hpour work and then AP crashes and all changes since last restart where completly nirwarnaed. Same by import / organize some brush (category). In future i will close/reopen after each 10 minutes when working on "presets"....

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

Thank you all for the suggestions!  Big help!  I will definitely create a folder with my favorites and EXPORT it as it is--I had the favorites folder in my brushes, but had never exported it.  I will also check for the file mentioned above.  Thanks so very much!!

DHayes