You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I downloaded a trial version of the Nik software and I am not seeing anything like what is shown in the tutorial for installing it.

• After downloading, it asks if the application will be Photoshop or Light room.
  • It shows up in my downloads not in my C drive.
  • In the downloaded file Google is not in the file name.
  • I have tried to access the Nik file as shown in the tutorial but nothing is found.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Hello @Film Photog,

I think you have installed the NIK collection from DxO.
Search for Nik collection 1.2.11 on the net, this version is free.

After installing the NIK Collection,
Open Affinity Photo and under
Edit
Settings, select the option Photoshop Plugins.
There you can switch to the Nik Collection folder via the Add button
(for example: C: \ Program Files \ Google \ Nik Collection) and confirm the selection.

Cheers

nik-collection-affinity.png

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3447)

You guessed correctly.  I had downloaded the latest from DxO Nik collection.  After deleting it an installing the one recommended every thing worked fine. Thanks much.  One other question:  Only two files show in yellow, the others are "unknown".  Are the unknown files accessible in any way?  I am specifically interested in Silver Efex.

The new version of NIK shows it is compatible with Affinity Photo, but unfortunately it is not showing up after an install. Do I have to install the new version the same way the free one is installed? Or is the old version the only way to use the NIK Collection with Affinity Photo. 

Thank you.

• Staff

Hi JudeDez21,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Out of curiosity - what do you mean with The new version of NIK shows it is compatible with Affinity Photo? Where are you seeing this exactly? 

Regarding the installation, yes you have to set/add a custom folder to where the plugin files will be installed like with the old/free Google version. This applies to both Windows and Mac installations. The installer will then create a folder for the application files and will place the plugin files on the folder you've set up/created manually. The host applications must then point to that plugin files folder.

Don't forget to tick Allow "Unknown" plugins to be used in Affinity Photo Preferences, Photoshop Plugins section (on bottom).

Currently, on Macintosh, the NiK Collection by DxO works with the current retail version - Affinity Photo 1.6.7 (with a few issues) - but doesn't work with Affinity Photo 1.7.0.102 (Beta). On Windows it seems to be working fine (Nik Collection v1.2.18) with Affinity Photo retail and  1.7.0.188 Beta.

37 minutes ago, MEB said:

The new version of NIK shows it is compatible with Affinity Photo

https://nikcollection.dxo.com/what-s-new/ scroll down to the third dot (right-hand side indicator menu) to be fair it shows the 1.6.x Affinity Photo icon.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Not sure if this is the correct place to post, but I have the old Google version of Nik. I did not download it to a folder on the desktop as I have had Nik for years and have it installed in several other applications (and never had a problem before.) 

I have followed the steps on the video and here except I use the google folder Library>Application Support>aperature>Plug-ins>Google. Google contains the folders for Nik. I can add the folder in Affinity, but after restart nothing happens. Have done this several times. I don't really need to install it in Affinity, but since the option is there I would like to do so without spending much more time trying to do so.

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong? Frankly, if I have to redownload NIK---if it is even still possible---and make a special folder on the desktop just for Affinity, I am not going to bother., although I do not see why it would be necessary.

I am on Mac 10.12.6

I don't know what DxO are doing to the NIK software but whenever I try to edit a TIFF file it crashes just before finishing applying the settings, this is in the standalone apps. Went back to the free version and everything works fine now.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

On 11/22/2018 at 1:33 AM, PedroOfOz said:

Download on torrent its much faster.

• Staff

Hi DocHuff,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Aperture plugins use a specific plugin format that's different from the one used by most other host applications (Photoshop compatible plugins). So if you have another host application installed (like Photoshop) add its plugins folder to Affinity Photo Photoshop Plugins section in Preferences and they will be recognized and listed in Affinity. Make sure Allow "Unknown plugins to be used is also ticked there. Let me know if you still have trouble.

I have just downloaded and installed the new DxO Nik plugins. I tried Viveza first, as this has traditionally been the problematic one. It worked fine except that a portrait image (freshly opened) loaded as landscape. If I rasterized the image first, then it worked perfectly.

I did not remove my old Nik files from my PC, nor from Photo, and Photo just listed the new ones.

The current price, till November 26th is £29.99.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

• 6 months later...

I have just installed NIK & found a great youtube video on how to use it:

I am using the Beta (350) version of Photo.

I tried using Viveza & it didn't work. Firstly the image was all washed out & I wasn't able to use the control point feature which is what it's all about!

As I have the free version, that's not going to change. I was wondering if anything in Affinity is likely to change (during the beta testing) that would cause the NIK plugins to work better?

I also tried the HDR feature & that wouldn't allow multiple images to be input & using it on just one image came out with some weird results!

I had a little look at Silver Efex but did't choose the best image. I'm wonderig if it could be any better than AP's colour sliders?

What are the best features of the NIK plugins that are worth using via AP?

So far they have taken forever to load but that could be my crappy laptop!

Nik HDR will only work as a single image as a plugin. That is just the way plugins work. I have tried it and it gave good, though limited, results. For multiple files you need to use the standalone.

All the other plugins seem to work well for me except that they seem to ignore crops any crops and transformations you have made beforehand. The solution is to use the Rasterise and Trim command in 1.7.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Thanks John.

I've fixed it up now I think. It seems to open quicker once a particular plugin's been used. Some seem quite useful - lots more experimentation is to be had!

I hadn't realised the issue of crops etc being ignored. I'll take note of your comment to rasterise though. Thanks!

Julie.

• 6 months later...
8 hours ago, iMacKalle said:

I have problem with Affinity Photo 1.7.3 when I try to install Nic Collection Plugin in to my iMac 2017 Catalina 10.15.1

Tick "Allow unknown plugins to be used."

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

38 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Tick "Allow unknown plugins to be used."

Thanks.

Yes I have try both 10 times

Yes I have restart many times

Close only close not restart. I need to start Affinity Photo again.

May I need to delete Nic Collection and install again, but I lost the installer.

Skärmavbild_2019-12-07_kl__10_04_26.png

@iMacKalle, I do not understand what your problem is. In your first screenshot, you wrote "Why 2 only" but in the second one with "Allow unknown plugins to be used," the Filters > Plugins > Nik Collection submenu shows them all.

There appears to be no document open, so all the choices are greyed out, but that is normal -- there must be a suitable layer selected for the filters to work on.

Please explain more about why you think they are not installed.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7