You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AD 1.7.0.2] Fill Tool: new feature or bug?

I was playing around with the Designer beta's Fill Tool, creating a Linear fill with several stops. When I deleted one of the end stops on the canvas, a dotted rectangle with control (??) handles appeared, but I am not exactly sure of its purpose. The image on the left shows the fill before deleting the upper stop; on the right is what I get after doing that.

65090651_fillbefore.jpg.508efc3d9c1e749e823cd1d45b5acf8f.jpg 777695471_fillafter.jpg.c43396d38ab9cd4c64655b53f8aa075a.jpg

AD beta fill oddity.afdesign (history included)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

There is another post about this (can't find it) but from what i remember the extra handles are there to preserve the angle of a gradient when a shape is skewed.

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

3 hours ago, dutchshader said:

There is another post about this (can't find it) but from what i remember the extra handles are there to preserve the angle of a gradient when a shape is skewed.

If that is their purpose, I don't understand why they appear only after deleting one of the gradient stops. I think it has to be the ending stop, but the extra handles only appear after deleting the stop on one end but not the other.

Very strange.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

If you only deleted a point, then that is a bug. You have not introduced any skew and an alternative linear 1D gradient will suffice. Once skewed there is a danger of it not exporting as a vector gradient

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Yes, I just deleted one end point of the gradient, so it seems to be a bug. Hopefully, the file with history I attached to my first post will help squash it.

Affinity Photo 

• Staff

Ok - this is a new feature.  We now have transform stable linear, radial and conical fills.  When the total transform on the fill (which can result from the fill transform, or the parent objects) has a scale or shear, we show these correction handles. It allows you to control the shear and scale on the fill.

What is happening here is that the deletion of the handle is causing the fill transform to be re-evaluated, and this is introducing some element of scale or shear.  Hence why the addition handles are then visible.  If the fill rotation is different to the object rotation, the new fill scale will create some shear.  It might only be very slight - but the tolerance is fairly low when the extra handles are shown.

You can double click on the extra handles to correct back to 1:1 scale and remove the shear.

Looking at your example though, it does appear that the transform is being incorrectly modified when the point is deleted.  I'll that a look at that. - the line of the fill appears different after the point is deleted.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff

ok - there was a bug in here - and it will be fixed in the next Beta.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.