You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Artboard resizing affecting layer and guide placement?

I am using designer to make my connected instagram feed: https://www.instagram.com/infinite_canvas/

I make files that are 20 rows long and then cut those up with guides to imitate the instagram feed. For some reason, when I insert an artboard to crop the document for a post (I usually crop for two rows, so 3240 x 2160 px), it shifts the position of layers as I resize to the required size. Does anyone know why this is happening?  Please see the two images below, notice how in the second screenshot ("after.png") the face on the left has shifted down in relationship to the guide. This shift ruins my ability to match things perfectly, which ruins the "connectedness" of my feed. After a few tries, I can correct it, though it remains often a few pixels off. Its a time suck that goes against this rather carefree nature of what I'm doing with the feed.

From a features request standpoint, guides should remain in place and when inserting an artboard and the resize should snap to guides. Anyways, I really don't want to move to affinity photo because I'm utilizing some weird stuff in designer and enjoy the process. I hope this is clear enough, thank you.

before.png

after.png

• Staff

Hi @bwackv

Resizing your artboard should not move the position of the layers. The way it looks it's just shifted up. Are you sure it's not the artboard positioned too far up? Why don't you use slices to export your artwork? It would be a lot easier and does not require you to create additional artboards. 

Exporting: Slices

Thanks,

Gabe.