You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Missing fonts

Hello,

I get a message saying that ArialMT is missing.  Then, in the Font Manager, I select that entry and use the Locate button.  It takes me to a text box.  This is when I get confused.

The Font Manager says that Palatino Linotypre was used as a substitution for the ArialMT.  However, when I examine the text box that I had been taken to, ALL the text is Book Antiqua (or so the Character Panel says), which happens to be the font I wanted.  I have not, consciously, used ArialMT anywhere in the document.  I have the following problem:

• Is the entire issue a bug and so I should just ignore it?
  • Have I, without knowing it, used ArialMT somewhere but the Font Manager has given me the wrong location, in which case, I better scan the entire document to find the offending ArialMT?
  • Is the font in the text block actually ArialMT, even though the Character Panel says it is Book Antiqua, in which case there is a bug in the Character Panel?

Any ideas?

Sincerely,

Robin

Is this a document you created in Publisher, or one you've imported from some other program?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hello Walt,

The document was set up in Publisher but a lot of the text was copied and pasted from a (very similar) PagePlusX9 document.  There have been so many changes since - all in Publisher - that I cannot say for sure if the text, that the Font Manager sends me to, originated in Publisher or in PagePlusX9.

I suppose I could try deleting it all and retyping it.

Cheers,

Robin

If I needed to start over I'd probably select all the text, paste it into a simple text editor, then copy it from there into a new Publisher document so it comes in with no style or font info. Saves the effort of retyping and should introduce fewer errors 

But I'd suggest saving that Publisher document in case the Serif team would like to examine it.

Or, maybe someone will have a better idea for figuring out your problem :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Great idea Walt.

I copied the text into Notepad then, from there, back into Publisher and saved as a new file.  No error message when opening it!  Good.  However, the Font Manager claims there is Arial (not ArialMT) but, on location, it is NOT Arial at all.  So, still something strange but at least I don't get the error massage anymore.

Where would I be without the Forum and people like you?!

Thanks,

Robin

HI RobinMcL

I may need you to provide the document to be able to investigate this further. It seems something has gone awry when copying the text from PPX9 and bringing over the formatting on that text so it is most likely going to be localised to that document

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

I followed the suggestion in a reply I got; copied the text into Notepad, then copied from Notepad back into Publisher, then set the font I wanted.  That worked fine.

Publisher is fantastic.  My problem is that I am new to this entire area and do NOT have any book that can explain things to me.  I hope that Serif brings out a book like the one for Photo.  Actually, even that is not quite enough.  For someone like me (new to the entire area) I need more than a book that tells me how to use certain features.  I, first, need a book that tells me what features might help me solve a problem I have.  I recall when I was still a mathematician.  I was telling an academic colleague about some consulting I was doing with a computer company.  He was envious and said "Let me know if they have any integral equations to solve."  I replied "Industry never has integral equations to solve.  In fact they never have mathematical problems to solve.  They have 'problems'.  They don't know that they may be mathematical ones.  It is the job of the mathematician to decide if there is any mathematics that can help and, if so, to do it - no matter what it is."

So, I got fantastic help from someone who suggested I use a Gaussian (Gauss was a mathematician) blur.  My problem was not being able to find a Gaussian FX.  It was so much more fundamental.  It was in knowing that a Gaussian blur would solve my problem.  Sadly, that's the level that I am at.  People like yourself are enormously helpful to me but I keep worrying that I am so stupid with my questions that I am wasting your time.

Cheers,

Robin

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.