You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to remove background

In Serif, there was a "Cut Out Studio" which I absolutely love.

I have searched the Help Section and Forums for "erase background", "cut out studio",  "background removal", and am unable to find out how to remove a background.

Can you please give me a link that will show me how to remove a background?

I edit product photos and want the entire background removed easily like in the old programs.

Thank you,

Do you have an example file to look at?

If its a white background you can use the Erase White Paper filter in Affinity Photo: Filters > Colours > Erase White Paper.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I have a follow-on question related to the 'Erase White Paper', so thought it best to post here instead of creating a new topic.

When you have erased the white paper, is there a way to replace it with a pure white background or alternatively, to leave it with a transparent background?  For context, I am editing product shots where the white background is slightly off-colour and I need to find a way to make it consistently the same across multiple shots.

• Staff

Hi Annie2,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
To turn the background transparent, go to menu Document ▸ Transparent Background. To fill it will white (or any other colour or gradient) go to menu Layer ▸ New Fill Layer and pick the colour you want from the colour panel. Place this layer on the bottom of the layer's stack. Alternatively you can use a rectangle (shape) the same size of the canvas (use snapping to help you align it with the canvas while you are creating it) set its fill colour to white and place it on the bottom of the layer's stack.