You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Creating shapes by entering dimensions. [Designer]

When working in illustrator, if you have a shape tool selected, single clicking on the canvas brings up a dialog wherein you can enter the parameters of the shape you would like to create (i.e. Height x Width, Number of points, Radius ect.) Is there a way to create shapes by exact dimension in Affinity Designer? the only way i have figured out so far is to draw a shape of arbitrary size and modify it in the transform panel. This is quite a cumborsome workflow. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

21 minutes ago, nikpawlak said:

This is quite a cumborsome workflow.

Why?

I don't see any real difference between selecting a shape tool and single clicking once on the canvas (AI) or click and drag a bit (Designer).

What is the difference then between entering in a dialog box (AI) or in the Transform panel (Designer) ?

It is the same number of operations, just a slightly different method.

Perhaps that tiny drag after clicking is too much of a drag ;)

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

2 minutes ago, toltec said:

Why?

I don't see any real difference between selecting a shape tool and single clicking once on the canvas (AI) or click and drag a bit (Designer).

What is the difference then between entering in a dialog box (AI) or in the Transform panel (Designer) ?

It is the same number of operations, just a slightly different method.

Because in Illy it is quicker and doesn't involve moving the mouse/focus/eyes anywhere. 

Just now, MikeW said:

Because in Illy it is quicker and doesn't involve moving the mouse/focus/eyes anywhere. 

I can click and drag a basic shape without looking, as easily as I can make one click. It doesn't matter about the shape size if you are then going to adjust it in the Transform panel.

I still have to move my eye focus to the dialogue panel to do that.

Apart from a fractional drag (without needing to look), how much quicker could it possibly be?

5 minutes ago, toltec said:

Apart from a fractional drag (without needing to look), how much quicker could it possibly be?

It’s quicker to have a dialog box popping up at the cursor instead of having to move your mouse to wherever the Transform panel happens to be. And you aren’t restricted to setting the dimensions and rotation/shear: you can also set the other values for your chosen parametric shape.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

16 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

It’s quicker to have a dialog box popping up at the cursor instead of having to move your mouse to wherever the Transform panel happens to be.

But if you place the Transform panel on the screen it is just as quick. In fact, if you do that you don't even need to refocus as the transform panel stays in exactly the same place for as many shapes as you want. If you keep clicking (AI style), unless you click in the same place each time, the dialogue box will move. So actually, you have to focus to click in the exact place, then focus on the dialogue box. In Designer you don't need to focus to click, because the Transform panel is already in the exact, same place.

There is so little in it, I don't see the problem but I might be showing my age. 

29 minutes ago, toltec said:

But if you place the Transform panel on the screen it is just as quick. In fact, if you do that you don't even need to refocus as the transform panel stays in exactly the same place for as many shapes as you want. If you keep clicking (AI style), unless you click in the same place each time, the dialogue box will move. So actually, you have to focus to click in the exact place, then focus on the dialogue box. In Designer you don't need to focus to click, because the Transform panel is already in the exact place.

Having the extra operation of mousing to the transform panel and clicking inside of a width field inside the transform panel adds quite a bit IMO. Single clicking and typing exactly where you clicked without having to look anywhere at all is dead simple and intuitive.

(AI) Click-Type, Click-Type

(Designer) Click-Drag-Mouse-Click-Type,Mouse-Click-Drag-Mouse-Click-Type

Especially with tools such as the star or polygon being able to single click and enter your radius and number of sides exactly in place is much quicker for the way i work. 

My focus is typically on the cursor, so being able to single click and type without mousing over and having to click inside an input box than return the mouse to the canvas to click again is quite a bit slower in practice for myself. 

Currently single clicking with a shape tool just deselects items on the canvas. So I don't see why adding this to Designer would be anything but helpful.

55 minutes ago, toltec said:

But if you place the Transform panel on the screen it is just as quick.

That’s why I made a point of saying “wherever the Transform panel happens to be”. However, you’re still left with the issue of dealing with the other variables.

I might be showing my age.

Nothing new there, then! :P

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, nikpawlak said:

Having the extra operation of mousing to the transform panel and clicking inside of a width field inside the transform panel adds quite a bit IMO. Single clicking and typing exactly where you clicked without having to look anywhere at all is dead simple and intuitive.

(AI) Click-Type, Click-Type

(Designer) Click-Drag-Mouse-Click-Type,Mouse-Click-Drag-Mouse-Click-Type

Especially with tools such as the star or polygon being able to single click and enter your radius and number of sides exactly in place is much quicker for the way i work. 

My focus is typically on the cursor, so being able to single click and type without mousing over and having to click inside an input box than return the mouse to the canvas to click again is quite a bit slower in practice for myself. 

Currently single clicking with a shape tool just deselects items on the canvas. So I don't see why adding this to Designer would be anything but helpful.

Well, I don't know how you work or how many shapes you draw at one time but would the power duplicate feature not help?

Draw one shape and set it, size it, move it etc, then press Ctrl J to make an infinite number of exact copies.

I am sure your feature would be useful but there are so many things on the Designer 'to-do' list it is unlikely to come soon. Therefore it is best to use what is already there the best way possible. I come from thirty years of using Photoshop all day, every day and missed lots of things but have got used to using Photo, so it doesn't bother me now. Mostly ;)

• 5 years later...