You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Storing Palette With Document

You can have a pallet for the System or the Application or that one Document.

slice1.jpg.dd08fe310b6d844c2b6ebaed6a21803d.jpg

Swatches and the top right bunch of lines (don't know what that is called).

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

the top right bunch of lines (don't know what that is called)

I might call it a "settings menu" but I've more commonly seen it called a "hamburger menu" in these forums :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

more commonly seen it called a "hamburger menu" in these forums

That is probably because it is actually an industry-standard term:

https://uxplanet.org/the-ultimate-guide-to-the-hamburger-menu-and-its-alternatives-e2da8dc7f1db

https://speckyboy.com/analyzing-effectiveness-hamburger-menus-web-design/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamburger_button

I have used ‘Add Doucument Palette’ and then selected a previously-created palette stored on disk. However, after saving, closing and reopening the document the added palette is no longer there and I have to import it again. 

Is there a way to store the palette with the document or am I missing something?

16 minutes ago, bgeal said:

I have used ‘Add Doucument Palette’ and then selected a previously-created palette stored on disk. However, after saving, closing and reopening the document the added palette is no longer there and I have to import it again. 

Is there a way to store the palette with the document or am I missing something?

When I add a document palette to a document on Windows, and save the document as a .afpub file, when I reopen that document the palette is present. So this works, at least on Windows. Note: In the Swatches panel, the document palettes are located above the default palette that is displayed (Greys), so you will need to click on the palette pulldown and scroll up to find the document palette you added.

Add Document Palette would not  give you a dialog to select a previously-created palette. That's done during Import Palette. The Add operation merely gives you a new palette that you can then select and fill with colors.

I'm not sure that you followed the correct set of steps, or simply didn't find them, or whether you're perhaps on Mac and there's a bug there.

Correct steps, as I understand them, using Add Document Palette:

1. Add the palette.
  2. Select the palette in the Swatches panel, and add some colors to it.
  3. Save the .afpub file.

Or, using Import Palette:

1. Import the palette as a document palette.
  2. Save the .afpub  file.

With either approach, when I reopen the .afpub  file on Windows the document palette is present.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1