You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am using Affinity Photo trial before deciding whether to buy it instead of of subscribing to Photoshop CC (which infuriates me) or buying Photoshop Elements.

The first thing I have tried is to resize a photo. I did exactly s I have done in Photoshop for years but the image became unusable. Despite thinking I was fairly capable, I can not figure out what is going wrong. Can anyone help?

I have attached images showing the original image, the menu options I used (with Photoshop and therefore with Affinity too) and the resultant image. Photoshop would resize but would retain a good quality image - Affinity ruins the image.

Perhaps Affinity is not going to be good enough for me / won't do what I want. Help!

(There was a problem uploading image 1 but I can not tell why - hope you can still see the problem with Affinity from the other 3 images.)

2 Resize window showing original details.png

3 Resize window showing altered size.png

4 Image after resizing.png

Screenshot 2018-11-16 at 20.56.28.png

• Staff

HI @jayaitch,

Welcome to the forums. 

Can you please zip your original image file and attach it here? 

However, the screenshot you have attached is indeed blurred, but it will be as you're not previewing the image at 100% zoom. The screenshot size is 3376 x 2260, and the photo only 2000 x 1333. This result is expected and normal, and pixelation will occur. You're viewing the image at over 150% zoom. Set the zoom level to 100% and you will see the image looks fine :)

Thanks

Gabe. 

You may also want to use a different Resample setting than the default Bilinear one. Depending on the image content & how much you are reducing or increasing its size, one of the other resample choices farther down the list may produce results more to your liking.

Regardless, note that resampling can degrade image quality. This is just as true in Photoshop as it is in Affinity Photo. From this Adobe Image size and resolution user guide topic:

Keep in mind that resampling can result in poorer image quality. For example, when you resample an image to larger pixel dimensions, the image loses some detail and sharpness.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks both for getting back to me. I am familiar with Photoshop and that automatically alters the preview image to 100% so I had not realised Affinity does not do this and I thought I was looking at the resized image as it would appear. Is there any way of making this automatically happen when resizing? If not, do I have to go to the 'View' menu or is there a quick button anywhere on the interface?

I don't want to change the setting from Bilinear or better as I do not want to add to any degradation.

Another quick questions please - is there any reason why the altered, resized image does not show the metadata? Again, is there something that needs to be 'switched on' for this to be retained? I have attached a screenshot showing what I mean - the data list to the left is the original, the middle one is from my resized version in Affinity and on the right the photo data / info from a resized version done in Photoshop Elements.

Thanks in anticipation.

John

photo info.png

15 minutes ago, jayaitch said:

Is there any way of making this automatically happen when resizing? If not, do I have to go to the 'View' menu or is there a quick button anywhere on the interface?

There’s no automatic way, but you can use the keyboard shortcut Cmd+1. There’s also a slider on the Context toolbar when the Zoom Tool (shortcut Z) is active.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 hours ago, jayaitch said:

I don't want to change the setting from Bilinear or better as I do not want to add to any degradation.

I think you have misunderstood about the degradation that occurs when resampling an image. Some degradation is unavoidable, regardless of the resampling method used. Please read the entire Photoshop guide article if this is still unclear.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

4 hours ago, jayaitch said:

Another quick questions please - is there any reason why the altered, resized image does not show the metadata? Again, is there something that needs to be 'switched on' for this to be retained? I have attached a screenshot showing what I mean - the data list to the left is the original, the middle one is from my resized version in Affinity and on the right the photo data / info from a resized version done in Photoshop Elements.

When you export the resized images as a JPG image, look under the JPG export panels middle "More" button on the panel that pops up if embedd metadata is checked there (?).

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

5 hours ago, R C-R said:

I think you have misunderstood about the degradation that occurs when resampling an image. Some degradation is unavoidable, regardless of the resampling method used. Please read the entire Photoshop guide article if this is still unclear.

Thanks RCR - no misunderstanding - understand degradation but don't want to increase that by changing the setting you identified.

4 hours ago, v_kyr said:

When you export the resized images as a JPG image, look under the JPG export panels middle "More" button on the panel that pops up if embedd metadata is checked there (?).

Thanks - Yes 'embed metadata' is selected. 'Embed ICC profile' is selected too with 'use document profile' also selected, which I thought may mean use the metadata from the original updated to reflect the new / changed data?

3 hours ago, jayaitch said:

Thanks RCR - no misunderstanding - understand degradation but don't want to increase that by changing the setting you identified.

Do you understand that depending on the image content you can reduce the degradation by changing the setting?

Affinity Photo 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/16/2018 at 9:57 PM, jayaitch said:

I am using Affinity Photo trial before deciding whether to buy it instead of of subscribing to Photoshop CC (which infuriates me) or buying Photoshop Elements.

The first thing I have tried is to resize a photo. I did exactly s I have done in Photoshop for years but the image became unusable. Despite thinking I was fairly capable, I can not figure out what is going wrong. Can anyone help?

I have attached images showing the original image, the menu options I used (with Photoshop and therefore with Affinity too) and the resultant image. Photoshop would resize but would retain a good quality image - Affinity ruins the image.

Perhaps Affinity is not going to be good enough for me / won't do what I want. Help!

(There was a problem uploading image 1 but I can not tell why - hope you can still see the problem with Affinity from the other 3 images.)

2 Resize window showing original details.png

3 Resize window showing altered size.png

4 Image after resizing.png

Screenshot 2018-11-16 at 20.56.28.png

The easiest solution is to use other freeware. Resizing with Photo is unfortunately a mess.

On 11/17/2018 at 7:57 AM, jayaitch said:

I only got as far as the elements part 
Been there myself and I can say that although Affinity is (was for me) a big learning curve away from Adobe; it is better than Elements for the stuff I use it for -- in fact I have removed elements from the computer . The main learning curve is the different names for tools that do similar jobs to other programs; and very often those similar tools are hiding in different places --- Ps and Affinity are very similar and different at the same time; however there is so many features in Ps that most would never need or even want. Affinity also have some tools that are better than Ps/Pse

I also find this forum a great help to get started; and to keep learning as I go. Many google searches lead to this forum 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/11/2018 at 3:48 PM, GabrielM said:

Can you please explain this? 

Thank you for replying. I need a resizing dialog for professionals - because resizing is the most needed essential feature in the graphics business. I am a Affinity buyer since the first release day and I don't get tired to post the wish for a resizing dialog box that fulfills the standard in the graphics business.

3 hours ago, Opera said:

Thank you for replying. I need a resizing dialog for professionals - because resizing is the most needed essential feature in the graphics business. I am a Affinity buyer since the first release day and I don't get tired to post the wish for a resizing dialog box that fulfills the standard in the graphics business.

Perhaps you could post a s/shot or 2 showing how you mean as "never reach professional level". 
I would be interested to know why graphic resizing is different to photo resizing -- that's a honest request; not trying to start a resizing war :)

My workflow for resizing images with Affinity Photo in most cases goes with the export.

First I load the image with full size and quality in Affinity Photo. Then I do my modifications and edits in the image. At the end I export the image where I can enter the desired image format (e. g. jpeg) and the desired pixel size in the export dialog. In this dialog I also can adjust the file size by entering the quality percentage of the jpeg. And I also can find the best In addition, I can set the best compromise between quality and file size of the resulting image. On this way, the meta data is preserved (if I don't uncheck to embed meta data in the "More" panel).

In the attched screen capture the original size is outlined yellow and the desired size in export dialog has a green outline. The 2nd screen capture shows that the meta data is kept in the resulting file.

My experience is that for quality reasons resizing of the image should be the last step of an editing process.

I only use the resize dialog if I want to change the dpi resolution of the image.

In old Photoshop times I also first resized the image and then made my edits and the stored this image. In Affinity Photo I learned the described workflow woking best for my needs and results in little quality loss.

Export.png

File info.png

Affinity Photo V2.3.0 | Affinity Designer V2.3.0 | Affinity Publisher V2.3.0

Mac Studio M2 Ultra | 128 GB RAM | 1 TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.6 | EIZO CS2740 4K UHD
MacBook Pro Retina, 15", Mitte 2015 | 2,8 GHz Intel Core i7 | 16 GB RAM | 512 GB SSD | macOS Monterey 12.6.6

• 1 month later...
On 1/2/2019 at 10:01 PM, ianrb said:

Perhaps you could post a s/shot or 2 showing how you mean as "never reach professional level". 
I would be interested to know why graphic resizing is different to photo resizing -- that's a honest request; not trying to start a resizing war :)

On 1/3/2019 at 12:52 AM, Kaffeepause said:

My workflow for resizing images with Affinity Photo in most cases goes with the export.

First I load the image with full size and quality in Affinity Photo. Then I do my modifications and edits in the image. At the end I export the image where I can enter the desired image format (e. g. jpeg) and the desired pixel size in the export dialog. In this dialog I also can adjust the file size by entering the quality percentage of the jpeg. And I also can find the best In addition, I can set the best compromise between quality and file size of the resulting image. On this way, the meta data is preserved (if I don't uncheck to embed meta data in the "More" panel).

In the attched screen capture the original size is outlined yellow and the desired size in export dialog has a green outline. The 2nd screen capture shows that the meta data is kept in the resulting file.

My experience is that for quality reasons resizing of the image should be the last step of an editing process.

I only use the resize dialog if I want to change the dpi resolution of the image.

In old Photoshop times I also first resized the image and then made my edits and the stored this image. In Affinity Photo I learned the described workflow woking best for my needs and results in little quality loss.

Export.png

File info.png

On 1/3/2019 at 2:03 AM, v_kyr said:

And for bulk/mass image resize handling the "File -> New batch processing" jobs can be used.

In a professional resizing dialog you can see and edit all relevant data at once without clicking other boxes. Maybe some of you have worked with Photoshop or Gimp or or or or... before.... They all have a standard resizing dialog that meets professional demands. The existing resizing dialog box in affinity photo is an emergency solution only and not a tool for photo editors and their daily job. Sorry guys.