You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I just prepared a document with a spread size of 340  x240 mm. I exported it by pages for printing , each page with a 3mm bleed all around. The print shop reported that some pages were not the correct size. I opened the output file in AP and found that the odd pages were not 170 but 170.1mm and I think that might be the problem the print shop has. Any ideas? I guess .1mm is enough to produce and error in printing.

Thanks

A little more on this. When I checked the pdf by opening it in AP I found that some odd number pages were 482.2px by 680.4px. they should have been 481.9px x 680.4px. I checked all the pages and found that this seemed to be random. I guess about 5% of pages were affected but this screwed up the whole commercial print process I think (maybe I am wrong, the printer will get back to me with a result on the corrected file on Monday). 

I might be remembering wrong but I think someone had a very similar problem caused by photos/images which were fractional pixels in dimensions(i.e. not integer). Example 240.6 x 341.7 pixels. The export process "helpfully" and wrongly added to the page size for lord knows what reason.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Unfortunately the pages "miss-sized" do not have picture. 

I wrote this to the print shop last night

Today i split the spreads into pages before exporting to PDF and then exported to pdf. I checked the pages and all are the same size, 481.9 point by 680.3. So the change seems to have been caused by the export of the spreads as pages.

7 hours ago, Roger terry said:

Unfortunately the pages "miss-sized" do not have picture. 

I wrote this to the print shop last night

Today i split the spreads into pages before exporting to PDF and then exported to pdf. I checked the pages and all are the same size, 481.9 point by 680.3. So the change seems to have been caused by the export of the spreads as pages.

I was off by a little and a lot in my remembering. Bit of searching showed me that the problem was that the size of the artboard in Affinity Designer would scale up if the size was a fraction of a pixel off an integer value. Could you check your page size in pixels and trim that bit off? I only suggest this because of the oft mentioned "shared code base" between all three applications.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I am not an expert at all but I am confused by this sizing issue. The print shop book size pages are 170 x 240mm which of course does not make a integer when turned into points.  My book is 250 pages and when I check each individually I found that within the first 30, odd numbered pages were 482.2 poins x 680.3 points. Within the rest of the book I found a further 5 pages (all odd number0 which were similarly mis-sized. I hope this was enough to throw up the error at the printers, I will know more later and report. I could change all the spread sizes to an even number integer and then split into pages but then they will not be the 170 x 240 template which the printer uses. These are very small differences, I find it had to believe that it cannot be printed.

10 hours ago, Roger terry said:

482.2 poins x 680.3 points.

The problem was with Pixels not points. I think it is because points, inches and centimetres are distances and a Pixel is a 'thing' that measures 1 arbitrary unit by 1 arbitrary unit exactly. Pixels are binary, 1 or 0, there is no way to have a fraction of a pixel. All this is guessing on my part and I am glad your printer figured out a solution for you.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.