You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New app icon ?

On 11/16/2018 at 11:48 AM, fde101 said:

Yes, and some of us definitely prefer the old new style.

Me too.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

The new icon does seem to lack "that certain sort of something."   Maybe they could omit the upper right hand corner triangle, giving us an A again?   The square looks a bit lonely down there on my Dock!1013759463_ScreenShot2018-11-17at5_47_18PM.thumb.png.f4c88ef33c7e875b908586fa8df99427.png

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

i love the new ones and the way they look on my dock.
I see them more pro than previous ones !

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

I don't actually miss the triangle/"A" shape of the old icons, but my initial reaction to the new square one was that it felt washed out. Most of the icons in my dock (including Designer and Photo) are much more saturated and contrasty by comparison.

Aside from that, I do prefer the clean, minimalistic look of the new splash screen. The old ones were a bit gawdy and over-designed IMO. A little too "hey, look at me, I'm fancy" vs. "I am a professional tool, part of a professional suite, and in it for the long run."

So, overall, moving in the right direction. The icon is part of the public beta, too, right?

Hello everyone, I prefer the old icon because the shape of the icon "A" means the brand "Affinity". Currently, there is a new icon and I do not see the shape "A" anymore. He loses the identity. Too bad. In my opinion, it is necessary to keep the form "A" but you can redraw new (design, slimmer, simpler and modern) like flat. What do you think ?

I do not believe the crucial aspect is the resemblance to the uppercase letter A, but the allusion to the three apps tightly integrated into a common framework as symbolised by the equilateral triangle. This was even more prominent in the first version of the icons with the folded ribbon. As I said elsewhere, I wished the new icons would preserve this design idea.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/72586-affinity-publisher-public-beta-170174/&tab=comments#comment-378601

Also I believe the icons are a bit too large for the dock context and misaligned there. Other than that, I am happy with the new direction. To my eyes, the icons are looking much more subtle and professional. :)

First-Version.png.ec143d6eb1913eb6c3c1a439a577157b.png

Dear all,
just a friendly reminder that "human interface guidelines"
are at the core of Apple app development, and full part
of the macOS plus iOS everyday (fluid) experience.
The Affinity family needs to improve in that area,
old and newer icons are just-not-here-now.
An "i like" or "i don't like" point of view
doesn't offer clues to the right question...

https://developer.apple.com/design/human-interface-guidelines/macos/icons-and-images/app-icon/ 

10 hours ago, andremacola said:

There is something wrong with the icon size, maybe a bit taller?

A bit Taller ? Good sign, Affinity is growing :D

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

10 minutes ago, vonBusing said:

Growth is good, but one can hope that icon size is not how Serif envision growth for the Affinity suite...
Or we will need bigger screens. O.o

Bigger screen is not bad at all. I mean, we may like or not but there's a cost for being best app of the year in the sight of giants like Apple and Microsoft, so I can understand the move and just Encourage Serif on their way to the top (they are not there yet).

Unfortunately whatever I say or think I can't pay the price they to pay to fit with all that is imposed or required to them from both giants leaders,  can just smile and make my shoulder available if there is a reason to cry.

See ! My position is simply a bit different.

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.