You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Color sliders bug

When I set up AD I made the color panel show HSL Sliders.  In my drawing I then go to Swatches and click on any swatch.  When I return to the Color panel it is showing Sliders RGB not HSL.

Also, when I exit and restart AD the color panel is showing the color wheel not sliders.

Making a change to the stroke panel will also cause the problem.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

• Staff

Hi Gear maker, 

I don't believe this is a bug as such, but the swatch was created in RGB, so will switch to RGB. However there is a new lock icon next to the colour model in the Colour Panel that should do exactly what you want! 

As for restarting, it remembered whether I had set Wheel, Sliders or Boxes.

On 11/16/2018 at 1:15 PM, Gear maker said:

when I exit and restart AD the color panel is showing the color wheel not sliders.

I believe I have seen this behavior also; I don't have it in front of me right now to validate

2 hours ago, Sean P said:

new lock icon next to the colour model

Sweet!

5 hours ago, Sean P said:

Hi Gear maker, 

I don't believe this is a bug as such, but the swatch was created in RGB, so will switch to RGB. However there is a new lock icon next to the colour model in the Colour Panel that should do exactly what you want! 

As for restarting, it remembered whether I had set Wheel, Sliders or Boxes.

Sean, I can barely see the lock much less if it's open or closed.  I would say the left one looks a little more open (maybe), but it has locked the HSL. 

1559067260_ScreenShot2018-11-19at6_51_19AM.png.6eea9137949296d192b4d8900aaef9c2.png1170719545_ScreenShot2018-11-19at6_52_11AM.png.c5564dda334d9e09435cb04ec47c5eb1.png

Actually the icon is the exact same icon for both locked and unlocked.:(  Enlarged to 600%:

2135951437_ScreenShot2018-11-19at6_56_11AM.png.38dc081505af0cf95d53574fef01484c.png1473428932_ScreenShot2018-11-19at6_55_30AM.png.41d1e86dcfcc4506c41fc2e5c852f1c2.png

Just now I tried restarting AD again, it came up in sliders RGB and I had been in sliders HSL when it was shut down.  And the lock was locked.  Then I switched it to HSL toggled a layer invisible so it would resave the document and restarted AD.  I'd call that a color wheel.  But then I can't tell if when restarting is the lock still locked or does it unlock every time when starting?  Did it again, same result.

1049918568_ScreenShot2018-11-19at7_13_31AM.png.9fced12060089e5b9b679a896e64613a.png

Two out of three restarts brought up the color wheel when it had the HSL slider at shut down.

And does anyone really want the color panel to switch to whatever the setup was that created that color? o.O  Most likely the reason you are in the color panel is to modify the color from the swatch, not to revisit the history of the swatch.  And then if that's the case then the confusion caused by one swatch taking you to the color wheel and the next taking you to RGB and the next taking you to LAB etc.  Really isn't what I can imagine anyone would desire.  I missed reading that Feature Request when it came in and I don't find it on a search. :)

Sometimes I have had the stroke panel change the color panel, sometimes not.  Is that caused by what was selected when the color was created?  This is so confusing.

So the lock icon is definitely a bug.  The inconsistent startup sounds like a bug also.

Mike

Sean, now I find that when I click on the color spot on the color panel to use the color sampled the color panel changes from the sliders HSL I want to sliders RGB.  Are you still saying this all is intensional?  This is such a pain in the butt that I'm going to probably go back to the 1.6.1.  The only reason I haven't so far is that I'll have to start over again.  So far today I have set it to sliders HSL over 20 times in about 4 hours work.

Mike:

Regarding the lock icon, yes, it is the same for the locked and the unlocked state. The difference is in the background. The slightly darker background indicates the locked state. Unfortunately, it is barely visible in the light version of the interface. Switch to the dark one and you will see it a little better. This is definitely something that requires improvement.

And yes, I can confirm that the colour panel always defaults to the RGB colour wheel, when opening a document. Even when I locked the colour space to HSL and an object with a fill created in HSL is selected. Not good. :(

Cheers, A. :)

Locked-Unlocked.thumb.png.e0654b121d000baeb9e1979e5591e84c.png

Alex, you think it's really the background?  I do see it is different 240R 240G 240B vs 230R 230G 230Bm slightly.  I wonder which is for the locked condition? :/

I guess the old 494568544_ScreenShot2018-11-20at5_45_00AM.png.2086526b2fe1922a206928a987dfbe8f.png1504197151_ScreenShot2018-11-20at5_45_12AM.png.c5a3e976a68fd28e4523d10e18eb97ba.png used in the rest of the program is so passé.  Plus it doesn't lock it.  Didn't this all work well in the last 30 versions of AD?

Mike

• Staff

@Gear maker

I'll log an issue with development regarding the button graphics and states. I can see on Light UI it is difficult to see, and also the lack of icon change. That said however, it is the same as the Lock icon on the Layer Panel, which I don't believe anyone has mentioned before!

I've also reproduced the colour picker switching from HSL to RGB so will also get that passed on to development.

The lock state is also only remembered per session, which as far as I can tell this is by design but I will query it with development.

It also seems that the Sliders dropdown defaults to the first in the list rather than the last one set on restart of the application so I can pass that on to development as well.

Unfortunately however I still cannot reproduce restarting the app so that the colour wheel is present. Would you be able to record a video showing the behaviour you are getting please? Short demonstration videos issues like these help us greatly in seeing what is happening and what actions you are doing that could be causing the behaviour.

@A_B_C

The issue you mentioned with the aliasing on the colour wheel is something that we've already logged with development and seems to mainly affect non-retina screens!

Sean, I don't think the video will help much.  It is slower to load with Quick Time recording.

Try reproducing the issue by:

Open an existing drawing in beta

Get the Color panel to show HSL sliders

Click on the visibility box twice on the top layer (to get AD to allow a save)

Press cmd + S

Press cmd + Q 

In the dock right click on the beta icon, select the file you just saved

• Staff
14 minutes ago, Gear maker said:

Sean, I don't think the video will help much.  It is slower to load with Quick Time recording.

Try reproducing the issue by:

Open an existing drawing in beta

Get the Color panel to show HSL sliders

Click on the visibility box twice on the top layer (to get AD to allow a save)

Press cmd + S

Press cmd + Q 

In the dock right click on the beta icon, select the file you just saved

Color Wheel.mov

Thanks for the steps - I've reproduced it now! I'll get it passed on to development.

4 hours ago, Sean P said:

That said however, it is the same as the Lock icon on the Layer Panel, which I don't believe anyone has mentioned before!

Well, this is not the same use case, Sean. For the locked state is primarily indicated by the presence of the lock icon next to the layer’s name in the list, not by the background of the toggle switch next to the gear icon. I must confess I never paid attention to the state of this switch, only to the presence of the lock icon.

So for a standalone icon, I would also prefer a more obvious solution. As for a suggestion, why not just re-use the padlock icon from Publisher’s Glyph Browser? It has the open-closed states in addition to the changing background. :)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.