You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher Public Beta - 1.7.0.174

• Staff
2 hours ago, PaulEC said:

Could I request that the help will be checked so that all entries actually exist, and are not just a line of "????????".

Also it would be nice if all the entries were Windows specific, rather than the MAC version! (For example you can't drag an object to add it to the Assets panel in Windows - the help says that you can!)

The help (in any language) is not ready for review Once we say that the help is ready for review you can request that, if ????? still exists, but currently the documentation team have not written anything for sections that say ???? and it's there to remind THEM to add something. Sorry about the missing bits I know that makes it hard for you guys to check out the new features, but if you have questions that the help doesn't cover please make a new thread and we will try to help.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Starts up noticeably faster, about 30% compared with last beta. Thankyou for a nice piece of software to rival IDD.

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

On 11/17/2018 at 2:57 PM, Mithferion said:

On Windows 10 (specs of the system in my signature), there is a point in the startup where the splash screen looks like this, with the black square behind it:

image.png.504e722832dac1abd82a66978206db54.png

In this system, the total startup time is 1:10 (00:21 mark for the App to show and 01:10 until the CPU usage goes down) . Not a big improvement as with the ThinkPad (I gues it's the CPU or something, but it's OK).

Best regards!

In addition to a new splash screen, I noticed the Affinity Designer and Photo Persona icons have changed and become 'flatter' and a bit more abstract. I expect the main icons for these apps will change soon.

Still having install-over-previous-version failures. I tried then running the old version just to see if it at least got as far as uninstalling, and the old version can no longer be run, but in a weird way- it doesn't say the item referred to by the shortcut no longer exists; it says it cannot be accessed, ("you may not have the appropriate permissions"). So I went to the file explorer and browsed my way to Program Files\Affinity\Publisher Public Beta and found that I can't open that folder. ("Access is denied.") I can't see who the owner is, even, or browse into it using admin priviliges, or take ownership of it. The folder is in a weird, inaccessible state, and I don't know what user it belongs to. Going to try rebooting and seeing if I can read it then.

Okay, this could be a clue. On reboot, the program folder has disappeared. It was visible to Windows Explorer after the failed installation, but inaccessible, then it was removed altogether during the reboot process. I know that there is some way Windows deals with marking files that are in use for removal or replacement during a reboot (as in Windows updates or other installers that will sometimes notify you a reboot is necessary, or some installers which give you a choice between attempting to close everything that's in use or requiring a reboot at the end), and maybe that's being invoked here somehow. If so, that suggests there is a deletion attempt being made on this folder while it is considered by Windows to be "in use". Which to me further suggests that either 1) One process from within the installer/uninstaller is doing something in that folder and isn't letting go of it before the step comes to delete the folder; or 2) Publisher, once launched, leaves something running or otherwise holding onto its program folder long after it has exited, making the installer unable to remove that folder.

The second theory comes to mind because I think most (all?) times I've run a new installer, it has been in the same powered-on-and-logged-in session in which I earlier had Publisher running.

18 minutes ago, trajanmcgill said:

2) Publisher, once launched, leaves something running or otherwise holding onto its program folder long after it has exited, making the installer unable to remove that folder.

The second theory comes to mind because I think most (all?) times I've run a new installer, it has been in the same powered-on-and-logged-in session in which I earlier had Publisher running.

This was my leading theory, for a minute. I just experimented by running the .167 installer and then running the .174 installer, in the same Windows session but without ever launching the application in between, and it worked without error. Of course, I then tried to confirm it by uninstalling .174, reinstalling .167, launching the application, quitting, then running the .174 installer...and suddenly for the first time ever, I saw the installer for one version successfully update from a previous version without a reboot. So I'm still not entirely sure what is going on, unfortunately.

the last 2 beta upgrades are having a negative effect on this program on my win 10 pro 64 bit computer.  The program just stops working (Freezes) and the only way to exit the program is through the Task Manager.  Never had a crash before the last 2 updates

Call me odd, but I actually don't like the new loading splash. Not that I particularly like the old fluffy cloud either. If I were in charge (which obviously I'm not) I would take design cues from the Jetbrain splash screens - each revision gets a new 'fresh' design and also has a small loading bar to show progress if things are taking longer than anticipated. For example:

image.png.650f8e04e30da6304711e9dff2125fe2.png

image.png.403904186ff8068ecceed48753f4ac4e.png

Just two pennies worth! No more no less ;) Feel free to ignore :)

Release is great though, can I purchase it soon please before the new tax year starts, I need to get rid of some cash!

I like the new splash screens very much. They are simply great.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

On 11/17/2018 at 8:57 AM, Mithferion said:

On Windows 10 (specs of the system in my signature), there is a point in the startup where the splash screen looks like this, with the black square behind it:

image.png.504e722832dac1abd82a66978206db54.png

In this system, the total startup time is 1:10 (00:21 mark for the App to show and 01:10 until the CPU usage goes down) . Not a big improvement as with the ThinkPad (I gues it's the CPU or something, but it's OK).

Best regards!

I have windows 10 and have neither of these problems. It takes 10 seconds for it to start up. That's with a lot of fonts.

4 hours ago, jobeyb said:

Setup failed again. I would like to know why. Seems I'm the only one so far.

Windows 10/64

SetupUI.log

Went to uninstall, told me it couldn't uninstall as it had been installed from a removable device. That was a load of twaddle, I made sure I installed from the download directory.

Again, had to force uninstall the old version, then the new version installed correctly. At least I know what to do now.

Help - Just downloaded Beta 1.7.0.174 on my Windows 1 system and it appears that text wrapping no longer works in a new document.  If I open an existing  document with text wrapping, that still works fine and also if I copy some wrapped text from an existing document to a new one, that still works too.

23 minutes ago, PMan said:

Help - Just downloaded Beta 1.7.0.174 on my Windows 1 system and it appears that text wrapping no longer works in a new document.  If I open an existing  document with text wrapping, that still works fine and also if I copy some wrapped text from an existing document to a new one, that still works too.

As the first post in this topic says:

Any problems actually using this version please make a new topic in this forum and we'll get back to you as soon as we can.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

On 11/20/2018 at 1:12 PM, mmuller said:

Call me odd, but I actually don't like the new loading splash. Not that I particularly like the old fluffy cloud either. If I were in charge (which obviously I'm not) I would take design cues from the Jetbrain splash screens - each revision gets a new 'fresh' design and also has a small loading bar to show progress if things are taking longer than anticipated. For example:

image.png.650f8e04e30da6304711e9dff2125fe2.png

image.png.403904186ff8068ecceed48753f4ac4e.png

Just two pennies worth! No more no less ;) Feel free to ignore :)

Release is great though, can I purchase it soon please before the new tax year starts, I need to get rid of some cash!

Splash screen is not important! I don't work with it or can't make pages with it. So, in short: nothing to worry about.

Hello Affinity Team

I have a few more features that I still miss.

1. I would like to be able to decide whether to load it with or without transparencies when placing pictures, graphics and PDF files.

2. I would like to be able to additionally assign outlines and background colors to the frame of pictures and PDFs files. When placing pictures I can choose a frame, but no background color. And with PDF files, I can not assign either.

3. I am missing a color table with CMYK colors.

4. It is very good that you can also insert a feeling text if you make a layout in advance. But unfortunately I miss the opportunity to assign the feeling text with multiple text formatting in the same frame.

Could you perhaps add or change these functions? That would be great.

Many Thanks