You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher Public Beta - 1.7.0.174

• Staff

Purpose: Stability and General Testing
Requirements: 64 Bit Win 7 SP1 / Win 8 / Win 10 

Hi, we have a preview of Publisher build 174 now available. It is currently provided as a manual download from the link above.

As this is a beta it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity where you may be adversely affected by the application failing, including the total loss of any documents. 

We hope you enjoy the product, and as always, if you've got any problems installing or running up, please don't hesitate to post in this thread.

Any problems actually using this version please make a new topic in this forum and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Please feel free to leave general suggestions and comments in the Discussion Forum. Many thanks for your continued feedback.

---

Updates

This build is the first Publisher Beta build containing the updated Artwork for the 1.7 Releases.

Fixes

This build fixes a critical bug preventing run up on some Windows 7 systems.
This build fixes a critical bug in PDF Export and Printing where rasterised elements could be omitted or corrupted.

---

Thank you for helping us track down these issues and for your continued support.

Earlier Release Notes Beta 167

Quite a difference in the initial splash screen and especially in the load time (about 7 seconds on my machine).

I assume form what @AdamW wrote above that this new splash screen is to become the "norm" for all the range?  If so, and the rapid start-up is also to be common then very great congratulations are in order for the devs.  9_9

(Edit to add):  I have over 2000 fonts installed so the font scan/enumeration/whatever must have been greatly improved.

Jeff

Edited by emmrecs01

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

Easy and quick install on Win 10. This release has fixed the pdf problem I had in .167. 

Like the splash screen much better. Now that it's gone I can tell that I hated the original "fluffy teddy bear" look of the original one. Thanks again for your hard work.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

Minimal Splash Screen... I like it.

Also, greatly improved startup time. The thing on Windows that's still there is the CPU usage after the App windows has finally showed, but that time has also been reduced.

On a Windows 8.1 system[*], it took 25 seconds total, until the CPU usage reduced.

Best regards!

[*] Lenovo ThinkPad :: Core i7-4702MQ 2.20 Ghz :: 8 GB of RAM

While I do not tend to comment on splash screens, this time I do ;)
I appreciate that there is no more transparent artwork around. It looks less fuzzy.

The startup is really fast and install went (obviously) without a problem.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Installed without problems.

Runs OK, but it took 28 sec to start up.

So, it is time for Photo and Designer 1.7 when everything is OK, I think. :)

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

Don't forget to change the icon everywhere.
On Windows 10:
* Start menu icon is new;
* App taskbar icon is old (until taskbar is refreshed - e.g. after sleeping - might not be the same for new installs);
* Help taskbar icon is new;
* Help intro screen icon is old;
* Within the Help, the Persona icons are old.

• Staff
1 hour ago, GarryP said:

Within the Help, the Persona icons are old

The help will catch up before release.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Have downloaded he beta version.

Installed it and .. It's loading is slower than previous beta version and there is nothing expressing the publishing purpose of APub just the square at the launch !

Please fix !

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

It's loading is slower than previous beta version 

That's NOT the experience of a number of posters to this thread, including me.

there is nothing expressing the publishing purpose of APub just the square at the launch

Please read the release announcement, the first post to this thread, where you will see that this new icon is part of a "new appearance" for the entire suite.

Please fix !

IMO, there is nothing amongst the things you have listed that needs to be fixed!

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

1 minute ago, haakoo said:

@Uncle Mez
From your sig, it states you are using a machine,why are you posting in the windows beta forum?
Besides the windows version loads faster than the previous version

OMG sorry !

I'm Using a phone to follow the threads !

Really sorry for that and Yes you are right I'm Using a Mac.

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

On Windows 10 (specs of the system in my signature), there is a point in the startup where the splash screen looks like this, with the black square behind it:

image.png.504e722832dac1abd82a66978206db54.png

In this system, the total startup time is 1:10 (00:21 mark for the App to show and 01:10 until the CPU usage goes down) . Not a big improvement as with the ThinkPad (I gues it's the CPU or something, but it's OK).

Best regards!

1 minute ago, Mithferion said:

In this system, the total startup time is 1:10 (00:21 mark for the App to show and 01:10 until the CPU usage goes down) . Not a big improvement as with the ThinkPad (I gues it's the CPU or something, but it's OK).

Perhaps it's just my view of things, but to me "startup" is from the time I click the icon to start the program, until it is usable for me. How long it takes after that for the CPU usage to go down is not relevant. I can be opening files and working on them as soon as the full display is there :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

2 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

The help will catch up before release.

Could I request that the help will be checked so that all entries actually exist, and are not just a line of "????????".

Also it would be nice if all the entries were Windows specific, rather than the MAC version! (For example you can't drag an object to add it to the Assets panel in Windows - the help says that you can!)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

18 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Perhaps it's just my view of things, but to me "startup" is from the time I click the icon to start the program, until it is usable for me. How long it takes after that for the CPU usage to go down is not relevant. I can be opening files and working on them as soon as the full display is there :)

True that. It's just something else I take into account to see how the Application behaves. And that depends on the Hardware you have; you can see that with the Laptop Core i7 it goes really fast even if you consider my way of testing. :P

Best regards!

At first, thanks fpr this new Beta.
Installtion was working well and without Problems.
On my System (WIN 10) it needs 8 Seconds to start up and  ~1 Minute until the CPU Fan slows down. But 8 Seconds is a very good time and after this i can start directly with my work. I don´t have to wait longer.

Have a nice day.
Ich wünsche einen schönen Tag.

34 minutes ago, affwin said:

Hello, in the .174 go the preferences - UI - Background Gray Level not.
Only dark and bright.
Greetings Dieter

@affwin
Please check out the Gamma-Slider. This is for the program interface to make it lighter or darker. On my System it works.
The other Sliders are for Document Background if you have opened a Document and for Art Boards. On my System works just like in Designer and Photo. I compared it with them.
Greets
Uwe

Have a nice day.
Ich wünsche einen schönen Tag.