You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Exporting multiple files at smaller sizes

Hi,

In the export persona there is a feature to increase the size of the file/slice being exported. The little plus button gives you the option to x2, x3, x4 the slice. However I am finding that I rarely want to export to bigger size but rather export to smaller. For example I'll be working on a full size raster image, but I would then want to export that at 4-5 different sizes - but all smaller from the original full size version. I can not see how to do this in the export persona area. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks in advance.

Screenshot 2018-11-16 at 15.38.59.png

Presumably you have one image that you want to export at different sizes. You will have to resize the document (Document > Resize Document), Export, then step back in your history and repeat it for each size.

If you have multiple documents, then I would suggest writing a macro to perform the resizing, then apply this to each file in turn using the batch facility. A warning however, Document > Resize Document will not work in a macro with relative sizes (such as percents), but it should work with absolute sizing. If you need relative sizing n a macro, the you need to use Filter > Distort > Equations.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

36 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

Presumably you have one image that you want to export at different sizes. You will have to resize the document (Document > Resize Document), Export, then step back in your history and repeat it for each size.

Why would that be necessary? The Export Persona's slice boxes let one specify the image width and/or height directly.

Resizing outside of the Export Persona should only be needed if the user wants more control over the resize method being used.

I'm away from my computer and can't give more information to @Davidlower than to suggest looking at the other pulldown values shown in the dialog or looking at the Help info.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Why would that be necessary? The Export Persona's slice boxes let one specify the image width and/or height directly.

Resizing outside of the Export Persona should only be needed if the user wants more control over the resize method being used.

I'm away from my computer and can't give more information to @Davidlower than to suggest looking at the other pulldown values shown in the dialog or looking at the Help info.

I ave to admit that I am unfamiliar with the Export Persona, so I bow to your superior knowledge here.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

• 1 month later...

@walt.farrell Hey did you manage to have any time to look at this question. I am also wondering if you could help me on a smaller issue, but similar theme.

When I export a picture of 700x400px (for example). I click on the + to create a 2x and a 3x size (3 images in total). When I export, sometimes I get the original at 350x200px and 2x version at 700x400px and the 3x version at 1400x800px. Do you know why export persona is shrinking my first original file to half the size? 

It means now I have to exporting a x4 version and then rename the files to the correct naming onced exported.

5 hours ago, Davidlower said:

@walt.farrell Hey did you manage to have any time to look at this question. I am also wondering if you could help me on a smaller issue, but similar theme.

When I export a picture of 700x400px (for example). I click on the + to create a 2x and a 3x size (3 images in total). When I export, sometimes I get the original at 350x200px and 2x version at 700x400px and the 3x version at 1400x800px. Do you know why export persona is shrinking my first original file to half the size? 

It means now I have to exporting a x4 version and then rename the files to the correct naming onced exported.

No, I never found anything more. The pulldowns in the dialog are fairly clear about the options you have in them.

But you raise an interesting question about your experiences. In a quick test that does not happen for me. So, it would help to have a sample file that demonstrates this phenomenon. It would also help to know which Affinity application you're using, and whether you're on Mac or Windows.

(I have a vague memory of having read something about 1x, 2x, 3x being intended for different screen resolutions/sizes, which (if I'm remembering correctly) might help explain what you're seeing. But I don't know what/where I read about that. Sorry.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 11/16/2018 at 4:39 PM, Davidlower said:

...but I would then want to export that at 4-5 different sizes - but all smaller from the original full size version. I can not see how to do this in the export persona area. Does anyone know how to do this?

Double click into the shown [1x ] text field and edit the 1x value there to the desired XXXw, XXXh (width, height) size. Do that on every field for all 4-5 different sizes you want!

smaller_size.jpg.7c8ca68380e2e120e11db2d0128c5b42.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

@v_kyr Thank you for your solution - I had no idea you could actually phyiscally add the values there (I thought the list was the predefined values). What a great revelation. Thank you so much.

@>|< This solution was also brilliant. It turned out I did indeed have 144dpi selected and when I changed document to 72dpi it fixed the issue. THANK YOU.

@walt.farrell Thank you as well for your help. I was on mac / affinity designer. The 1x, 2x, 3x is designed with the idea that you create an original image and then for the next x value it doubles the size of original image. In HTML you have the ability to do that same - add an x value to original image. In short it basically means if a device that has 3 or 4 times more pixels than a standard display you can give them a 3x or 4x image and it will display the same phyiscal dimensions, without being pixelated. So typical retina screen would be 2x. But some phones are 3x and even 4x. Forgive me if you already knew this info.

Thank you everyone your help. Really appreciate it. This has been bugging me for months.

• 2 years later...

thats awesome i just had the same issues exporting a logo out for onscreen use and need specific sizes - just needed to key in the width in pixels and away they went - made sence when i saw it - such a great app - you just need to get your head around a few things... each day learn something new.