You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer - Brush with wedge nib

Dunno if you can find sth like that here...   :   http://www.paololimoncelli.com

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

• Staff

Hi @maxmax,

Welcome to the forums. 

We have got a few articles on how to create your own brushes:

Even though they are for iPad, the same settings apply on Desktop:

https://affinityspotlight.com/article/how-to-create-raster-brushes-in-affinity-designer-for-ipad/

https://affinityspotlight.com/article/creating-your-own-brush-nozzles-from-real-life-media/

https://affinityspotlight.com/article/how-to-create-vector-brushes-in-affinity-designer-for-ipad/

You can also create your own shape and use that as the nozzle. You can also use a standard round brush and change the shape to an elipse. Put the spacing back to 100 and you're done.

image.png

BTW you can often also import and reuse PS brushes for AD (Deadbeat Marker), though can't tell if those can then possibly be transformed into vector brushes. However, if you search the Net you will find tons of brushes (free and commercial), maybe you find something which comes close and you can possibly adapt here.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

The only thing I could suggest is creating a few raster brushes in Affinity Designers Pixel Persona.

Here are few brushes I knocked up quickly, there are 30º 40º 45º 0º and 90º the screenshot below is me just messing around with the settings and I quite liked the effect. These are raster brushes so will show up in the Pixel persona in Designer

383981291_ScreenShot.png.ee0c5d58307f1b1b1d68367f05449437.png

Calligraphy.afbrushes

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, >|< said:

Calligraphic brushes are on the roadmap for inclusion in Designer 1.x, but with no ETA.

Interesting point! :)

For now, like @firstdefence, the only way I find to do this is pixel brushes, with a better result when adding a wet edge, and using some tricks since you can play with the nib leaving partly the paper to get different effects. When there's a fine border of the nib, the borders aren't continuous.

Plumes.afbrushes

2 hours ago, >|< said:

Calligraphic brushes are on the roadmap for inclusion in Designer 1.x, but with no ETA.

I'm looking forward to the Calligraphic brushes support.
I need the brushes around them on vector shapes.
Thanks for all hints and help.

Hi

I believe at the moment without the option of Calligraphic brushes the best workaround is to create vector brushes based on simple wedge shapes. With Vector brushes you can get better control over the graphic shape by manipulating the nodes. There is a weird bug in 1.6 AD where the end of the brush/vector line 'wiggles'. To get around this you can draw a vector line (pen/pencil/sculpt+-stabiliser); then apply the brush stroke to the line.

I personally use the pencil tool with stabiliser to draw outlines (shaped using the pressure controls)..to get tapered lines...and then convert to raster (with simple key press)...You will find the line edges are much smoother than using a raster brush..

Try the attached brushes just to see if they are closer to your requirements (cannot guarantee they will be perfect!:))

I set at 1000px width with min height 100px

Brush Test.zip

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2371
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

21 hours ago, StuartRc said:

I personally use the pencil tool with stabiliser to draw outlines (shaped using the pressure controls)..to get tapered lines...and then convert to raster (with simple key press)...You will find the line edges are much smoother than using a raster brush..

Try the attached brushes just to see if they are closer to your requirements (cannot guarantee they will be perfect!:))

Thank you! I will wait ...

designer-corel.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...