telemax

PDF import bug

Hi telemax :)

Thanks for your files, I can see the file was created in AutoCad, I'm not sure of the PDF export settings that were used but something here seems to be causing the issue you're seeing.

I've opened the PDF in Illustrator and I can see the objects are compound paths, with some rather strange settings. The PDF import into Affinity is importing these objects as Curves with a stroke of 0.1pt and a Mitre of 10, which is rather irregular. The wall objects imported into Affinity are 'Curves', meaning they are compound objects. When divided, the 2 'Curve' objects appear to be visually similar to the compound objects in Illustrator, with anti-aliasing applied where they join, which causes this white line effect.

When opened in Photoshop, the PDF is being rasterised as one layer and the objects are being lost, unlike Affinity where we're preserving the document as closely as possible. Do you need these layers, or is a rasterised image enough?

If possible, could you provide us with a copy of the original AutoCad document, and the export settings that were used (if known)?

2 hours ago, Dan C said:

Hi telemax :)

Thanks for your files, I can see the file was created in AutoCad, I'm not sure of the PDF export settings that were used but something here seems to be causing the issue you're seeing.

I've opened the PDF in Illustrator and I can see the objects are compound paths, with some rather strange settings. The PDF import into Affinity is importing these objects as Curves with a stroke of 0.1pt and a Mitre of 10, which is rather irregular. The wall objects imported into Affinity are 'Curves', meaning they are compound objects. When divided, the 2 'Curve' objects appear to be visually similar to the compound objects in Illustrator, with anti-aliasing applied where they join, which causes this white line effect.

When opened in Photoshop, the PDF is being rasterised as one layer and the objects are being lost, unlike Affinity where we're preserving the document as closely as possible. Do you need these layers, or is a rasterised image enough?

If possible, could you provide us with a copy of the original AutoCad document, and the export settings that were used (if known)?

Thanks,

I found in layers, a layer named ArchiCAD. Perhaps it is ArchiCAD.

Not my file, and I don't have the original file.

I partially solved the problem by increasing the stroke thickness. 

Thank you for the file :)

I downloaded the latest AutoDesk trial and opened the .dwg, at which point I see the following error -

image.png

So I downloaded a trial for ArchiCAD and the file opened here without issue.

I then exported it to PDF, ensuring the export settings were compatible with Affinity, then imported the PDF into Designer (to avoid Photos anti-aliasing) and saved the file. 001 1.afdesign

This can now be opened in Affinity Photo as a vector file and can be scaled and printed to whatever size/dpi you require. I'll continue to investigate the issue with the initial PDF however, to see if we can improve Affinity for future updates. I hope this helps!