You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Danish hyphenation

Just to be sure: Did you specify Danish as the language for your text in the Text Frame via the Character studio/panel (Language section), and do you have the hyphenation language specified as either Auto or Danish?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Yes, I have specified Danish in the Character panel and also set hyphenation to Auto. (Unfortunately, it is not possible to select Danish as the hyphenation language. See the attached screen dump.) Furthermore, I have checked the auto-hyphenation option in the Paragraph panel. (The second screen dump.)

In shorter texts, it is quick to manually insert soft hyphens. However, this would soon be tedious when working on a document with more than a few pages. 

Best,
Boye

---

iMac 3,06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
MacOS 10.13.6
Affinity Publisher Beta 1.7.0.174

character panel.png

paragraph panel.png

I know that Publisher does not ship Danish dictionaries for spell-checking or hyphenation, at least on Windows.

I also think that on Mac it integrates with the OS-provided spell-checking, which probably explains the availability of Danish on your system at all. I don't have that language option on Windows.

Apparently, though, your system doesn't have the Danish hyphenation dictionaries installed, or you'd be able to specify Danish as the hyphenation language, too.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

2 minutes ago, boye said:

Thanks, Walt. Hopefully, in the not too distant future Publisher will offer a hyphenation option in my native language.

On Windows a Publisher user can install additional dictionaries for both spell-checking and hyphenation. 

Perhaps that is also possible on Mac, in which case you could install the hyphenation dictionary yourself. But someone who uses a Mac would have to explain how :)

-- Walt
PC:

26 minutes ago, Chris_K said:

HI boye

As there are so many languages and dictionaries for them we only ship with libraries the app natively supports. Anything outside of this will require the user adding their own dictionary

cheers

Thanks, Chris. Your answer suggests that it is indeed possible to manually install a Danish hyphenation dictionary. Any hints of how I might proceed with this?

Best,
Boye

1 hour ago, Chris_K said:

As there are so many languages and dictionaries for them we only ship with libraries the app natively supports. Anything outside of this will require the user adding their own dictionary

What does this mean? It ships with language support for languages the app has been translated to? English, german, french?

I would really prefer Affinity to supply needed dictionaries for all european languages. At least. As links at least.

Hi boye

If you go to Finder > Applications and ctrl or right click on Affinity Publisher Beta you will get the option to Show Package contents. From here go to Contents > Resources > Dictionaries, you can create a folder in there and place the dictionaries you require. These should then be found when you next start the app

4 minutes ago, Fixx said:

What does this mean? It ships with language support for languages the app has been translated to? English, german, french?

Pretty much

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Thanks, Chris. I will try your solution when I have found a suitable Danish hyphenation dictionary. If my memory serves me right, someone  recently posted a link in another thread on this forum.

Best,
Boye

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.