You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vector Brush pressure sensitivity won't work

Hi, I am using Affinity Designer on iPad Pro 12.9 inch (2018.10) + Apple Pencil 2, both iOS and the app are up to date, for some reason the vector brush tool won't work with pressure sensitivity. 

It's always fixed width no matter which brush I selected, and when I tried to adjust the pressure by dragging the pressure handles, it always came back to default settings. 

Could anyone help me with this issue? Thanks!

O.

I'm trying to realize what's happening there ( but anyway, I'm not often around here, so this is more a tip in case someone else sees this thread) , but it could be very helpful if you could make screenshots of where you find the problem, so could be seen what is resetting, and if you are in the right page.

My best workflow recommendation, in general, but I'm desktop-only, is to double click on a brush in the library ( I quite prefer just the basic round brushes, but I have a very specific way of painting) so that you can access the settings. Is very similar to hit the "More" button in the top  bar when having the brush , but this way you save permanently the changes to whatever the brush on the brush library ( or that's what I do, lol.... ). Still, I suspect all these UI things are very different in the iPad versions.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

Hi.Odding,

When the vector brush tool is active, there is a control bar at the bottom of the screen with a button called "more." Click on that to bring up the brush editor. Set the size, opacity, etc variables there, and whatever controller variable, pressure/velocity you like. Then select pressure/velocity as the controller in the vector brush control bar.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

• 2 years later...

Hi, there,

I’m facing the same problem, is that no matter how I drag the pressure handle it will reset to the original position. Which means it deals nothing with pressure. Not sure what I can do with it. Please help…

•  
  • gdenby
  • Members
  • 1,887 posts
  • Location"Michiana," USA

Hi.Odding,

When the vector brush tool is active, there is a control bar at the bottom of the screen with a button called "more." Click on that to bring up the brush editor. Set the size, opacity, etc variables there, and whatever controller variable, pressure/velocity you like. Then select pressure/velocity as the controller in the vector brush control bar.

This doesn’t work for me. The brush is still in same pressure. I uploaded a video so you can see what happened.

Edited by Yi Liu
Upload a video to show what happened.

16 hours ago, Yi Liu said:

The brush is still in same pressure

Change the Controller setting in context menu to Pressure or Brush default. You have it set to none, so no pressure.🙂

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 1 month later...

Hi, I’m facing the same problem. I’m using an iPad Pro, 12.9 2020 and Apple Pencil 2nd Gen. Latest Designer update version 1.10. After sketching, I try to start my line work with vector brushes on a layer above the sketch. No matter what I do I cannot get pen pressure to work.

Controller setting is set to pressure, but this does not help either. I even deleted the app then reinstalled, but it continues with the same response. I have now exported the sketch into Clip Studio Paint to address the inking stage of my workflow. Since this is a commissioned stage backdrop and will be rescaled up to 6m x 4m, it’s imperative that the content be vector based. The current file I’m working with has the same aspect ratio, but is way smaller. The vendor will rescale the finished graphic at his end.

Please help

Thank you…

• 2 months later...

I'm experiencing this issue on my ipad (ipad pro 11" 2021, everything is up to date as I just got it) too, I try to change pen pressure on a standard vector brush (with pressure as control) and it immediately snaps back when I try to move a point on the pressure graph.

This issue does not apply to the pen or pencil tool as far as I've seen, just the brush.

On 11/1/2021 at 8:20 PM, SkwithOv said:

This issue does not apply to the pen or pencil tool as far as I've seen, just the brush.

I suspect this because affinity brushes are not true Vector brushes. They use raster patterns. You can vary thickness using pressure with Apple pencil or with the width slider. Using pressure you can only see the points on the curve when you select the curve layer after drawing.
Note: Controller in context menu must be changed from None to Pressure.

483F01A5-9B43-4739-AA5E-7AD5574128D6.jpeg

25CAD118-02E2-4008-A378-C909FFA69B97.jpeg

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 6 months later...

I'm having the exact same problem on Windows 10, whatever the latest version of Designer is at time of writing - I just downloaded today.

Sometimes pressure works, sometimes it stops. Just like Yi Liu's video, the handles snap back. Yes Control mode is on Pressure.

I also can't Select All and Delete all Vector Brush Tool strokes using my keyboard backspace or delete keys. For some reason I have to click the rubbish bin in Layers.