You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I haven't posted much here for a while as the current MAS version meets my editing needs quite nicely - thanks to all for your great work.   However, it seems like a lifetime ago that we were assured that a DAM was coming.  Is this still the case or has it been dropped?

Retina iMac (4K display, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM) OS X 10.11.6  Capture One 10.

It's been "wait until next year" since day 1.  I can understand that Serif devoted resources to other developments such as the iThingy version for sound commercial reasons, but would have preferred that they just drop the DAM and be done - and let us know that's where things are.

Last I saw was that they were still actively working on it, but Publisher has been the priority, and that is still in open beta and has not been released yet.

Best guess is that they will hit the DAM a lot harder once Publisher is released and out of beta.

2 hours ago, billtils said:

It's been "wait until next year" since day 1.  I can understand that Serif devoted resources to other developments such as the iThingy version for sound commercial reasons, but would have preferred that they just drop the DAM and be done - and let us know that's where things are.

This ETA was mentioned by Ash in a recent interview, so now we have a number.

Best regards!

21 hours ago, Mithferion said:

This ETA was mentioned by Ash in a recent interview, so now we have a number.

Best regards!

And what is that magical number if I may ask?

I’m looking forward to a DAM from Serif as well...

Spohr Photography - Capturing the wild side of life...

http://www.spohr-photography.com

6 hours ago, Spohr_Photography said:

And what is that magical number if I may ask?

I’m looking forward to a DAM from Serif as well...

2020. Which month? That wasn't mentioned

Best regards!

9 minutes ago, Mithferion said:

Best regards!

That could be anything from 13 to 25 months from now.  It's almost certainly already too late for me and in that time frame "almost" can be deleted.  Could attract others though.

7 hours ago, Mithferion said:

Best regards!

2020 is not too bad. There might be a public beta sometime next year. 

I know the have first spoken about in 2015, but since then they have released some awesome apps...

1 hour ago, Spohr_Photography said:

I know the have first spoken about in 2015, but since then they have released some awesome apps... 

I'm not complaining about or criticising what Serif have done in the last 3 or 4 years, with AP or with the other lines, but I would have been happier if they had just said when this was first discussed that a DAM was of interest but not a priority.  The moment has passed.

38 minutes ago, billtils said:

I'm not complaining about or criticising what Serif have done in the last 3 or 4 years, with AP or with the other lines, but I would have been happier if they had just said when this was first discussed that a DAM was of interest but not a priority.  The moment has passed.

It was not a thought to be as criticism on your post. I'm just looking positive forward to see what they come up with. At present, there is nothing out there which satisfies my needs, especially with AP file format.

8 hours ago, Spohr_Photography said:

especially with AP file format.

I do use Adobe Bridge which is good enough for many of my (limited) needs but I was a little unhappy with the preview of certain images. It seemed to be unsharp compared to the acutal files. This made me look around for an alternative (many of them are mentioned in threads in this forum, just search for DAM and look into the thread with the most pages :) ) and to my surprise XNviewMP does a good job. Especially since it is able to preview *.afphoto and *.afdesign files (on Windows, I don't know about Mac and Linux). It currently does not preview APub files but I could imagine this will come at a later time.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• 3 months later...
On 11/18/2018 at 12:11 AM, Spohr_Photography said:

It was not a thought to be as criticism on your post. I'm just looking positive forward to see what they come up with. At present, there is nothing out there which satisfies my needs, especially with AP file format.

I understand that NeoFinder works well and supports AP format. But, I'd rather wait than transfer all photos from Apple Photos to, say NeoFinder, and then transfer again to Serif's DAM.