You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I scale vector strokes proportionally?

Hello:

I have an existing EPS logo I'm adding to a photo illustration and want to shrink it first, then maybe rasterize it. But when I shrink it, the strokes remain the same thickness and do not scale proportionally. If I were working in Adobe Illustrator, this is a simple preference that can be checked or unchecked. But I can't find any sort of preference like that in Affinity Photo. I tried opening it in Designer, but it similarly didn't have an option to keep strokes the same proportion.

So how do I keep the vector strokes the same proportion when scaling?

This is one of the MANY frustrations I've had with Photo! While Photo does have easier ways to edit PHOTOS, it's hard for me to use it for GRAPHIC raster-based illustrations the way I did with Photoshop (lack of bitmap mode, lack of raster stroke selection, etc.)

Thanks.

Gear Maker:

Hey, thanks. You're right about AP not having a stroke panel equivalent. (Well, there oughta be one! :) )

My solution: I opened the EPS logo in AD, found the stroke panel (clearly I don't use AD as much as AP), checked the Stroke With Object and scaled the logo down to roughly what I need it to be. Then I copied and pasted it into my AP illustration. Strangely, I can now scale the logo WITH appropriate stroke proportionality in AP, so now I won't have to rasterize it. I still can't choose if I want the stroke to scale or not within AP. But this works for me right now.

I hope Affinity is taking notice that I shouldn't have to open a totally separate app just to be able to scale a vector object the way I need it. They also should include better documentation with the apps.

Thanks, forum people!

That's the first place I looked for the option…oops! Well, thank you all for helping me figure that out. As you might have guessed, I'm pushing to get some art finished…

Still think some sort of comprehensive manual would help…then I wouldn't have to bother you good people!

27 minutes ago, Gear maker said:

gdenby, I never thought to look there in AP.  Good catch.  Thanks.

Glad to help

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

6 hours ago, Gear maker said:

gdenby, I never thought to look there in AP.  Good catch.  Thanks.

The contextual toolbar stroke properties popup menu in Affinity Photo is only available when a single vector object is selected with the Move Tool -- include two or more objects in the selection & that item is no longer available, making it impossible to change any of their stroke properties in one shot.

But there is a simple if not obvious workaround for that: after making the selection, switch from the Move to the Node Tool & the popup stroke properties menu is once again available. :)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 4 years later...
1 minute ago, Sponsi said:

And how the hell do you make it a global setting? I can see a lot of settings are per object... OMGGGGGGGGGG

If you are talking about the Object Defaults, please start a new topic about whatever puzzles you about that, or (better yet) search the forums for topics about that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 minute ago, Sponsi said:

I found here it's not possible to make it a global setting.

Not sure what you mean by "global setting" but from the help topic:

Object defaults are stored separately for stroke and fill attributes, artistic text attributes, and frame text attributes.

Are you reading any of these help topics or just experimenting & hoping to figure out how everything works from doing that? If the latter, you could probably save yourself a lot of time & frustration if you spent some time exploring the help system & at least a few of the tutorials.

Affinity Photo