You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer PSD export improvement?

Has anything been done (or can anything be done) to have better compatibility with PSD's in AD 1.7?

I just did a quick test, exporting a simple file with 1 line of text and 4 simple shapes as a PSD and opened in the latest version of Photoshop and they're all rasterized, which is not useful to me when I want to work in Affinity Designer as my primary tool and export PSD's for clients to have an editable copy of the work since they use Photoshop. Does that make sense?

• Staff

The launch thread is not really the place for feature requests, I have split this off. Hope that's ok

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 3 weeks later...

@MattP Yeah I can totally understand that! :(  It just seems to me that the ability to export PSD that actually is editable within Photoshop would allow us designers to use Affinity Designer/Photo 100% of the time and still give the client the format they want would really help with adopting the affinity apps into peoples workflow much easier. As it is now I have  to work in Photoshop (for many clients) when really the affinity apps are much more intuitive for me.

Anyway, thanks for all of your hard work! Looking forward to 1.7 release!

Yes. I agree. 

I absolutely love these new Affinity tools (Photo, Designer, Publisher), but importing from and exporting to Adobe file formats will be a key strategic piece for the widespread adoption of these great Affinity tools.

• They've already proved that they can build first-class professional design tools.
  • They've nailed it with a customer friendly price and licensing agreement.
  • Now, breaking through the barrier to widespread adoption (which is Adobe's dominant position, and the strong network effect of being regarded as an industry standard) is the last key strategic challenge for Affinity to overcome. And this is all about making it easy and painless for designers and their clients to round-trip documents between the Affinity and Adobe apps. 

I want to abandon my Adobe tools so badly, in order to be free of their onerous subscription licensing agreement, and the Affinity tools appear to be a godsend, but I don't operate in a bubble. My collaborative work flows demand that I be able to exchange editable files back and forth with others outside of my office.

• 3 months later...
  • Staff

As MattP says - text in PSD is far from trivial.  You will not find another third party app that can export editable text to PSD correctly.  Adobe has not documented this part of the file specification - the data for text arrangement is hidden and proprietary.

It is something we want to add, but it needs to be done right.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff

No.....???

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.