You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

In the list view of the swatches pane any new swatch gets an auto-name with its defined values.

Unfortunately these names don't auto-change when the color definition got changed by the user. This results in wrong swatch names, both for global and non-global swatches.
To avoid wrong names the user has to rename any swatch manually after changing its color. To fix the name it needs several clicks to the manual renaming option window.

Suggestions:
– auto-change a swatch name when its color definition got changed
– enable renaming on double-click the swatch name

swatch name 1 true.jpgswatch name 2 definition change.jpgswatch name 3 wrong.jpg

p.s.: in the actual renaming option window a hint appears: "This is not an undoable operation." – Why does it warn me that I can undo this operation?

This is not an undoable operation.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

Suggestions:
– auto-change a swatch name when its color definition got changed
– enable renaming on double-click the swatch name

p.s.: in the actual renaming option window a hint appears: "This is not an undoable operation." – Why does it warn me that I can undo this operation?

auto-change a swatch name: I think this would cause so many problems, I have a global colour and I change it to a better shade Now I Don't Know its Name.

enable renaming on double-click the swatch name: Current method is Control click.

"This is not an undoable operation.": I think you are just having some fun here.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

Now I Don't Know its Name. 

May be you use "ideas" as names, not values? I can imagine that you might get irritated if your color for instance "sky blue" or "green 4" would get a different name by the application. What I meant are names with values only, as shown in my screenshots: I changed a blue into a yellow - but the name (values) remain as blue. This might become disturbing especially if you use global colors and use to alter them. I showed it with this two very different colors to make it more obvious. In reality the color change might be more subtil and a wrong name not such obvious.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

I think you are just having some fun here. 

No, I am wondering, why this menu does tell me. It gives the impression I have to be careful. Usually you can undo every change you do in a file – and therefore a warning would make sense only when an undo would NOT be possible.

49 minutes ago, thomaso said:

a warning would make sense only when an undo would NOT be possible.

4 hours ago, thomaso said:

"This is not an undoable operation." – Why does it warn me that I can undo this operation?

That is exactly what it says. You can not undo that operation.

Your other point regarding colour values as names I now understand. You have a valid point which conflicts with my way of working. We'll have to figure something out for that.

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

5 minutes ago, thomaso said:

even if a simple "undo" would not undo, I still could undo by re-rename it

True, but you'd have to accurately remember and retype the complete original name. Still, that's not an undo, just a rename :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 3 weeks later...

+1 for swatch names automatically updating when the colour values are changed.

This is a useful feature for print production, especially when global colours are used. 

[ macos 12.6 Monterey; Memory: 16GB;  Graphics: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB; Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 ]

7 hours ago, Jim_A said:

+1 for swatch names automatically updating when the colour values are changed.

This is a useful feature for print production, especially when global colours are used. 

I really don't like automatic but I do see the value of your desire for it, how about we split the baby and have an auto rename button or check-box for you folks who want it and I get to name things after projects or people's favourite colour and have it stick forever. Check-box would be best I think, set it and forget it.

4 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

how about we split the baby and have an auto rename button or check-box

It's even easier:
1. auto-re-naming happens only if a name shows the color values, and
2. once a swatch got named with custom name by the user it will not become renamed even if the values get changed.

The current solution automatically assigns a first name of the swatch and names with color values, but will result in incorrect names as soon as the user changes color values without manually changing the name.

On 11/15/2018 at 9:47 PM, fde101 said:

This is not a bug, but it is an undesirable behavior. 

Hm? A swatch gets a name from the application. If the automatic name is no longer correct, then it is wrong. A wrong auto-name is a bug.

It would not be an error if the name was a user-defined name entered by the user.

Compare: You create a new textframe. Its properties appear automatic in the transform palette. If you drag the frame to change size or position then its properties in the transform palette will auto-change, too. – Would you call it just "undesirable" if you would have to type its correct properties in the transform text fields – after you have changed values by dragging?