You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

NIK DXO v1.1 for Affinity Photo

Hi,

Yesterday DXO DxO has announced a new update saying "Nik Collection by DxO can also be opened with other host programs, including DxO PhotoLab 2, Serif Affinity Photo, Skylum Luminar, and other image processing software that features an export menu to a third-party program or is compatible with Photoshop plugins."

Anyone using NIK DXO collection with Affinity Photo since yesterday´s update? Feedback? What is different?

I use the pre-Google payed version because I don´t see major improvements yet to pay again for the Collection.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hi AT.HA,
Sorry the delayed reply. The Nik Collection by DxO works with the current Affinity Photo 1.6.7 (retail) on Mac and 1.6.5 on Windows 10 with minor issues but not with the upcoming Photo 1.7 Beta (Mac only). There's isn't much differences between the DxO and the old Google version. As far as I know this first DxO release was mostly to ensure compatibility with the latest versions of Adobe Photoshop CC. There wasn't new features.

Thank you MEB.

DxO NIK version works just fine as a standalone suite. No new features for now but works without issues.

Also works with "our" Aff. Photo 1.6, as we know, as Photoshop plug-in.

Will it work with the final AFF. Photo 1.7? Will Serif apps support DxO NIK suite? That would be nice.

• Staff

Hi AT.HA,
Affinity Photo 1.7 is now being built/compiled using Xcode 10 - and due to this change a few things work in a different way. DxO must update their plugins so they become compatible with apps built using this version of Xcode (not only ours but third-party apps where they plugins run as well). There's nothing we can do on our part to "fix" this.

I have recently installed and tried all of the DxO Nick collection plugins (installed November 2018) with Affinity Photo 1.7 Beta and Windows 10. They all work perfectly.

I have also installed and tried the following Topaz plugins: Adjust 5, Clarity, Clean 3, InFocus, Remask  5 and Simplify 4. These also work properly. They are all older versions, before Topaz Studio.

Imagenomic Noiseware (unregistered) and Neat Image Reduce Noise 8 also work.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

1 hour ago, AT.HA said:

How did you installed the DxO NIK in AFF. Ph. 1.7?

I ran the DxO NIK installer, locating the files into D:\DxO\Nik Plugins. In Affinity Photo 1.7 Beta, I opened the Photoshop Plugins dialogue and selected Add. I then pointed AP to the location of each plugin, in turn: D:\DxO\Nik Plugins\Dfine ..., repeated for all the plugins.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

23 hours ago, MEB said:

Yes, the old free Google version works with Affinity Photo 1.7 Beta ... but not on Mac.

Hmm, then something must have been changed on the APh plugin interface side here due to the connectivity/interoperation. - For all major OSX verions or just the latest?

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

39 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Hmm, then something must have been changed on the APh plugin interface side here due to the connectivity/interoperation. - For all major OSX verions or just the latest?

I think what has changed is what @MEB was talking about in this earlier post regarding the Mac version of Affinity Photo 1.7 being using using Xcode 10.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

A bunch of things changed in Xcode 10 again, which as always is an eternal construction site and probably buggy as always too.

According to the following which is from a posting out of this thread (Google Nik Collection is now free for everyone) these aren't good signs at all in terms of OSX version backward compatibility.

OfficialNik-DXOCompatibility.png.4d747286dcf76b42a9f92cdc77465fc0.png

In other words if APh looses the backward compatibility here with the older Google NIK version under former MacOS versions, one would have then to use PSE or GC then for that older NIK package.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2