You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Selecting only within selection rectangle (unwanted selecting of background)

Let's say I have a background layer with some big elements. On top of that I've got number of smaller elements that I want to select. When I start dragging a rectangle in order to cover desired elements it selects a background element and moves it accidentally.  Doesn't matter if CTRL is held or not. I'm in Move Tool mode.  I know I can lock layers which I want to exclude from selecting process but this is annoying especially when a background consists of many elements. Did I missed some obvious way of using selection ?

You have a choice in Preferences that specifies whether you need to totally enclose an object to select it, or merely touch the object to include it as part of the selection. Possibly you have the latter option set, but need the former for your workflow or file?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, Michal_R said:

Let's say I have a background layer with some big elements. On top of that I've got number of smaller elements that I want to select. When I start dragging a rectangle in order to cover desired elements it selects a background element and moves it accidentally.  Doesn't matter if CTRL is held or not. I'm in Move Tool mode.  I know I can lock layers which I want to exclude from selecting process but this is annoying especially when a background consists of many elements. Did I missed some obvious way of using selection ?

If it is a PC, make sure the background image layer is not selected first, (you can click on one of the layers to select that) then press Alt and drag a marquee. It will select everything you drag around. But not the background.

If there are several layers in the background, you will have to select the ones you want individually in the layers panel.

That is the purpose of Vector layers in Designer. By organising layers in 'packs' you can exclude certain layers, or not. The 'Edit All Layers' option.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

I'm sorry guys. I meant Affinity Designer and my OS is Windows. 
@walt.farrell : Thanks for remaining about that option, I switched the option for a day of tests to check what's more comfortable
@v_kyr : The answered most of my questions I was going to ask. Thanks, I must watch all these tutorial videos carefully again. 
@toltec : This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a million :)

This is my first post here and I can see going with Affinity series was a right choice. I didn't expect such a quick and substantive reaction. Thanks again.