You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New Icons Too Similar

Hiya!

I like very much the new icons. And after a liile time I discover that the Affinity Designer's icon has a pencil inside. Clever. And the obvious obturator of a camera of the Photo's icon is what everybody sees.

And as someone says in this thread for me are a fresh air in the land of the circles.

I like Iconfactory design and the icons that the make for great applications like Coda, Transmit and so on. But this icons are a in a very different game. Not skeumorphic or realistic. The icons are an abstraction, a symbol, a sign. They must be a clue of what are they represent. As a sleeve of a book.

Or maybe you can create something very crazy like a rock with tubes and pipes or spikes, or a planet, or an "fantastique" animal. But one thing always must to be acomplished. The icons have to have personality. For me the current icons are full of it. If they were a sign or a lighthouse near the shore we could be sure that we will se them even we wolud be far away from them. Think that the dock  are a beach full of people, seats, beachballs, surf tables, sand castles and so on. Well, in a dock full of icons I can see it perfectly amonf dozens of icons.

Well played, Affinity team. Were you the creator of the icons, Neil Ladkin? Mmmmmm haw haw haw!!!

Graphic designer from Bilbao (Spain) FreeHand forever. Affinity Designer rocks! - Diseñador gráfico de Bilbao (España). FreeHand forever. Affinity Designer ¡mola!

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

9 minutes ago, fde101 said:

I had a discussion about this with another forum member a while back and we came to the conclusion that it is actually a pen rather than a pencil.

Here:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, fde101 said:

I had a discussion about this with another forum member a while back and we came to the conclusion that it is actually a pen rather than a pencil.

It is perhaps worth mentioning that on Macs, it isn't an "it," it is family of icon resources of different sizes. The application, Dock, toolbar, etc. versions are all slightly different. The largest application icon resource is 1024 x 1024 px. It is not 'flat' -- it resembles a slightly round-edged, etched tile viewed at an angle, as shown in this detail view:

1782370608_BetaAppIconsection.jpg.9f8c6271114b2b68a79ef6889ffa317e.jpg

If anything, to me it looks more like the stylized tip of a tablet stylus than a pen or pencil, but regardless the symbolism seems obvious -- it's a tool applied to a stacked & layered design of some sort.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.