You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cropping and adjusting images in Publisher needs to be easier

I am still having trouble figuring out how to easily make adjustments to an image within a picture frame. It seems that we need to select the image itself in the Layers panel and then adjust the image inside the frame. Once we have done that, selecting the frame and adjusting the borders crops the photo. But if we have not adjust the image itself first, adjusting the borders of the frame changes the contents as well. It seems very complicated. In InDesign this is SO easy to do and so intuitive -- I can't understand why Affinity would make such a common procedure so much more complicated.

Furthermore, it seems that once I have made adjustments to the image and/or the frame, when I then go to Properties and choose from the various options, they sometimes do not do anything to the image. This might be a bug, I'm not sure.

8 minutes ago, jlhopes said:

how can I then move the picture around in the frame to get it exactly where I want it?

Hi @jlhopes

CTRL+click on the image. This selects the image and you can move and resize it to your liking.

And why can't I crop the image simply by adjusting the borders of the picture frame?

Click on the picture frame. On the toolbar at the far right end you see a checkbox called 'Lock Children'. Enable it. Now you can resize the picture frame without changing the size of the image.

In InDesign this is SO easy to do and so intuitive -- I can't understand why Affinity would make such a common procedure so much more complicated.

Just because you have learned how to do it in InDesign does not neccessarily make it intuitive. You just know how to do it. In APub we all have to learn some things new. Me too :)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

3 hours ago, dominik said:

Hi @jlhopes

CTRL+click on the image. This selects the image and you can move and resize it to your liking.

Click on the picture frame. On the toolbar at the far right end you see a checkbox called 'Lock Children'. Enable it. Now you can resize the picture frame without changing the size of the image.

Just because you have learned how to do it in InDesign does not neccessarily make it intuitive. You just know how to do it. In APub we all have to learn some things new. Me too :)

d.

Hi dominik, thanks, I appreciate the help!

I am on a Mac, and neither Ctrl+click nor Cmd+click works as you suggested. Ctrl+click just brings up the contextual menu, and Cmd+click creates a duplicate of the picture frame, the same as Alt+click does. However, I discovered that double clicking on the image selects the image -- so that is useful!

However, "Lock Children" does not seem to do what it's supposed to. When an image is first placed in a frame (or an image is converted to a picture frame), the image still resizes along with the frame, whether Lock Children is checked or not. And if the image has been selected and adjusted within the frame once, after that the image never resizes along with the frame, whether Lock Children is checked or not. I wonder if this is a bug...

It's true, Publisher will have some different ways of doing things that may take a little getting used to. I just wanted to say that this a very common operation in layout work, and therefore should be quick and intuitive.

Hi @jlhopes,

sorry, I was not aware that you are on a Mac. Double clicking on the image works the same way on Windows, so that should do :) I do not know, if there is a modifier key similar to CTRL+click on Windows. One of the other Mac afficionados here in the forum may help.

9 hours ago, jlhopes said:

However, "Lock Children" does not seem to do what it's supposed to. When an image is first placed in a frame (or an image is converted to a picture frame), the image still resizes along with the frame, whether Lock Children is checked or not.

Other than 'Lock Children' you also should look at the picture frame's properties (it's a button almost at the left end of the toolbar where 'Lock Children' is located. The button is next to 'Replace image'. If you enable 'Lock Children' and set the picture frame's property to 'None' you can scale the picture frame withouth changing the image at all. Is this what you are looking for?

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

On 11/15/2018 at 4:15 PM, dominik said:

Spent 15 minutes looking for this, can not find it dominik, where is it please? Certainly not next to replace image, which is on the left. Even when searching in the 'customize toolbar' there is absolutely no 'lock children' option that I can see.

Also ""CTRL+click on the image. This selects the image and you can move and resize it to your liking.""  This just copies the image when you select and ctrl click.  That's it.

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

13 hours ago, Chris26 said:

Spent 15 minutes looking for this, can not find it dominik, where is it please?

In the case that your APub window is not wide enough the toolbar kind of get's cut off. In that case at the very right end a little double arrow (see #1 in the screenshow below) shows up. Once you click on it a small flyout menu reveals 'Lock Children' (see #2 in this screenshot):

1727286893_LockChildren.thumb.png.445fe41a839eb4da184b38011fa46beb.png

13 hours ago, Chris26 said:

This just copies the image when you select and ctrl click.  That's it.

You should not 'select and CTRL+click' but only 'CTRL+click' to select it. This only selects the image within the picture frame and then (without CTRL) you can move it around.

I hope this makes things clearer :)

d.

Well, could it be any more discretely placed?  I thnk this would be far better on a right click menu when you click on an image or right click on any frame I suppose or better make it a part of the layers pallette since that is where it belongs.  Nevermind.Thank you Dominik for your help on both questions.

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

4 hours ago, Chris26 said:

Well, could it be any more discretely placed?  I thnk this would be far better on a right click menu when you click on an image or right click on any frame I suppose or better make it a part of the layers pallette since that is where it belongs.  Nevermind.Thank you Dominik for your help on both questions.

Well, I too, see room for improvement. To be fair, in a window that is wide enough the checkbox is visible all the time and once I got used to it I can work that way easily. As always it's a matter of knowledge and routine :)

Cheers,
d.

Your'e right