You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo does not release closed graphics

After editing and closing multiple graphics, I find they are still locked by Photo, specifically by instances of "exiftool.exe" which must be killed via task manager

This is random but fairly often behavior

2018-11-09_21-50-14.png

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

Don't know if this invocation method is possibly used though for APh for exiftool interoperation/communication (?) -> C++ Interface for ExifTool (by Phil Harvey)

... and specifically here the ...

-stay_open FLAG

If FLAG is 1 or True, causes exiftool keep reading from the -@ ARGFILE even after reaching the end of file. This feature allows calling applications to pre-load exiftool, thus avoiding the overhead of loading exiftool for each command. The procedure is as follows:

1) Execute exiftool -stay_open True -@ ARGFILE, where ARGFILE is the name of an existing (possibly empty) argument file or - to pipe arguments from the standard input.

2) Write exiftool command-line arguments to ARGFILE, one argument per line (see the -@ option for details).

3) Write -execute\n to ARGFILE, where \n represents a newline sequence. (Note: You may need to flush your write buffers here if using buffered output.) Exiftool will then execute the command with the arguments received up to this point, send a "{ready}" message to stdout when done (unless the -q or -T option is used), and continue trying to read arguments for the next command from ARGFILE. To aid in command/response synchronization, any number appended to the -execute option is echoed in the "{ready}" message. For example, -execute613 results in "{ready613}".

4) Repeat steps 2 and 3 for each command.

5) Write -stay_open\nFalse\n to ARGFILE when done. This will cause exiftool to process any remaining command-line arguments then exit normally.

The input ARGFILE may be changed at any time before step 5 above by writing the following lines to the currently open ARGFILE:

-stay_open
    True
    -@
    NEWARGFILE

This causes ARGFILE to be closed, and NEWARGFILE to be kept open. (Without the -stay_open here, exiftool would have returned to reading arguments from ARGFILE after reaching the end of NEWARGFILE.)

Note: When writing arguments to a disk file there is a delay of up to 0.01 seconds after writing -execute\n before exiftool starts processing the command. This delay may be avoided by sending a CONT signal to the exiftool process immediately after writing -execute\n. (There is no associated delay when writing arguments via a pipe with -@ -, so the signal is not necessary when using this technique.)

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• Staff

Hi Rick G :)

Thanks for your report, this has been logged with our developers previously, I'll bump the log with this thread now!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

1 hour ago, Dan C said:

Hi Rick G :)

Thanks for your report, this has been logged with our developers previously, I'll bump the log with this thread now!

Thanks Dan/

I was moderated for using the beta and posting in this forum. Should I load the release which is the same AFAIK and generate a graphic without the beta stamp?

Edited by Rick G
Address micro moderation

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

• Staff
24 minutes ago, Rick G said:

I was moderated for using the beta and posting in this forum. Should I load the release which is the same AFAIK and generate a graphic without the beta stamp?

No need to do this, part of the moderation was actually my fault as I originally moved the thread from bugs to Windows Beta bugs without thinking after seeing your screenshot, hence the comment Patrick made when it was moved back to bugs. Apologies for any inconveniences or confusion caused, your bug report is fine as is :) 

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

3 minutes ago, Dan C said:

No need to do this, part of the moderation was actually my fault as I originally moved the thread from bugs to Windows Beta bugs without thinking after seeing your screenshot, hence the comment Patrick made when it was moved back to bugs. Apologies for any inconveniences or confusion caused, your bug report is fine as is :) 

Thank you sir!

beers.png

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

• 2 weeks later...

Bump this again as it is still present in 1.7.0.188 although I am having a lot less trouble with it for some reason, just one file last nigh and I had loaded several batches of 10 or more files

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

• 2 months later...

CAUTIOUSLY I am finding that this is fixed in 1.7.0.231

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

• Staff

Many thanks for letting me know, I'll update this info with our QA team and have them test this against the latest beta build!

Please note -

Many thanks!