You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.7.0.2)

FWIW, "Replicate/Blend" is mentioned on the Designer roadmap, so it is reasonable to assume they will "make it happen" ... someday.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

20 hours ago, Gear maker said:

In version 1.6 there is an icon (widget) in the node tool context toolbar for Snap, "'Snap-off curve handles" this allowed the node's handles to be snapped at 90 degree intervals of the other node handle.  I found this extremely handy to get a smooth transition between a straight segment of path (without a handle) and a curved section (with a handle).  It is missing in 1.7.0.2, or I'm blind.  It now snaps to vertical and horizontal which isn't much help with nodes.  How can I get the old functionality?

Are you talking of creating tangent nodes, Mike? Well, these are called “tangent nodes” in Fontlab. If so, this functionality is part of the new “construction mode” … or rather the snapping options belonging to this mode … please have a look at my video. :)

Cheers, Alex

1 hour ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Well Yes, have read and seen that but still Procreate is dominant on his YouTube Channel,Go check And enjoy

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

7 minutes ago, A_B_C said:

Are you talking of creating tangent nodes, Mike? Well, these are called “tangent nodes” in Fontlab. If so, this functionality is part of the new “construction mode” … or rather the snapping options belonging to this mode … please have a look at my video. :)

Cheers, Alex

Nice, 14sec and not even tired ... Do you feel Okay with it @R C-R :D

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

2 minutes ago, A_B_C said:

Cheers, Alex

Alex, good find.  The term "Tangent mode" works but it used to show handle movement in 90 degree positions, would that be tangent?¬¬  Anyway In the last couple days I had a drawing that had several construction points/shapes in the area of the node.  So every few degrees of movement the handle turned red and locked.  So I never noticed that what you found is the case.  I had to turn off the snapping to construction mode or hold down the opt key to make small movements of the handle possible, both of which stopped the "tangent mode" function.  So we can either use construction mode or snapping "tangent mode" but probably not both?

Mike

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

Ah, yes, Mike, it still snaps to 90° increments as in the previous version, and certainly that will not count as “tangent” behaviour … ^_^ … I was just thinking in terms of your example … smooth continuation of a straight line into a curve. In Fontlab there is a special triangle-shaped node icon for it.

And yes, in some cases, I believe we will have to switch between sets of snapping options. As for a suggestion, maybe it would make sense to allow assigning shortcuts to sets of global and local snapping options in the future. :)

Tangent.png.cd09cb88cf68cb51a656c04047eaa6ca.png

7 hours ago, MattP said:

Hi R C-R, I think Uncle Mez just means that you can start/stop the cloning during the drag by holding/releasing the Command key? (whereas you used to have to hold it prior to drag previously and releasing it would not toggle it off/back on again)? Could be wrong though? :)

Cheers for adding this Matt!

Also @MattP forgot to tell you that mails that indicates the availability of a new version never reached my mailbox.

Was surprised to see the new version populated here while I'm registered to mailing list and newsletter. Please organize a fix !

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

• Staff
1 hour ago, Uncle Mez said:

Also @MattP forgot to tell you that mails that indicates the availability of a new version never reached my mailbox.

Was surprised to see the new version populated here while I'm registered to mailing list and newsletter. Please organize a fix !

I don’t think they wanted to direct traffic here until the Windows builds were ready... :)

Okay !

Waiting now for newly improved Mac iteration of the suite.

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

@MattP another fact of why personally i ask those tools (like other does too) is because having them on Affinity Designer (photo and Pub too) will actually draw some ESport designer from everywhere, remember this: with what Adobe cost to them, quite many of them are running cracked software's but the minutes Affinity suite provide with the tools they like to use (like many other creative too) they will convert one after another and that will create better balance among creatives.
Just coming back to celebrissima Replica/Blend tool + the strongly requested Rotate on plane, (you brought construction already so it's a good beginning) just have a look at the attached designs to understand a bit of what i have in mind.

Blessings

waves.png

DsO8LsbVsAAU3O2.jpg

DsIZC2SX4Ac7CAr.jpg

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

I wonder if some kind of hashed fill pattern support with an option to scale, rotate, and otherwise distort the fill along with the object might not support at least some of that?

Patterned/hashed fills are currently missing from all of the Affinity products, and with a few extra options might be able to provide some interesting capabilities.  Some of those same options might be interesting for picture fill too...

I am thinking it might work similarly to texture mapping in 3d-land: each node would have a set of "texture coordinates" in addition to their actual position on the page.  These would initially be the same as the on-page position, but would not normally be adjusted as the nodes move.

A separate mode for the node tool would move the texture coordinates instead of the on-page position of the node, and there would be a button or menu item somewhere to reset the texture coordinates to match the on-page node positions.  

A picture fill or hash fill would take on the shape defined by the texture coordinates, so if they don't match the positions of the nodes, the fill would be warped/resized/etc. to match the shape implied by the texture coordinates of the nodes.  That way if someone adjusts a node position, the fill gets warped; if the shape is resized, the fill is resized accordingly.

The move tool might have an option to scale the texture coordinates when scaling the shape such that the fill would maintain its general size while still being warped?  (Not as sure about this one...)

There could also be several "mapping modes" for a layer:

• Use fill/texture coordinates - this would cause the fill to be mapped as described above
  • Use page coordinates - this would ignore the texture coordinates and render the fill based on the position on the page; if the shape is moved, the texture "stays" so that multiple objects on the page using the same fill would have the fill line up
  • Use layer coordinates - this would work like use page coordinates except that it would offset the fill coordinates by the bounding box of the layer

This configuration could open up a lot of potential use cases...

• Staff

A newer build is now available, currently 1.7.0.3.

Any later build will be in a post pinned at the top of this forum. This thread is now locked.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon