You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.7.0.2)

2 minutes ago, Uncle Mez said:

Guys i'm just in love with the new very simple CMD+Drag to clone a subject (shape, curve etc...) it's nice to feel free of the old Shift+Alt thing !
Did someone noticed it yet ?

I think I have misunderstood what you mean because it has always been possible to CMD+Drag to duplicate an object. Alt+Drag has always worked too, the difference being Alt+Drag disables snapping.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

4 minutes ago, MattP said:

Hi R C-R, I think Uncle Mez just means that you can start/stop the cloning during the drag by holding/releasing the Command key?

Thanks! I had not noticed that subtle new feature until you mentioned it.

I stand corrected.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Whatherver i love it.

The brushes i already had just work like a charm, it's a revival of everything with 1.7 beta cycle

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

• Staff

Hi Wafer,

Just want to say that I'm sorry we aren't making the right decisions for you, nor are we making them in the timeframe you feel is acceptable. I understand that and accept it. We're working as fast as we can with the resources we have. Whether you agree with our decisions or not, only we really know the factors which guide our business decisions and we're making products we're proud of and excited about. I know nothing about the inner workings of your business, I suspect you know a similar amount about mine - which is fine. Are your devs on your forums talking to customers about the decisions they make and how to improve your features? All of our new construction tools, Node Tool functionality, column guide and Isometric studio features are entirely as the result of talking things through with customers and engineering a solution for their needs, so to suggest we are not delivering for our customers is just not true.

How you may view our priorities is guided by what you can observe... but what you can't observe is that actually the person writing a lot of the things you've called out as your priorities is going to be me and I've been writing the iPad version of Designer for the last year, so I've missed almost an entire cycle. As I've explained earlier in this thread, the iPad version is now written so I can get back to adding features... You're now going to say to me that I shouldn't have been developing the iPad version and that I should focus on customer requested features as priorities - and I'm now going to refer you back to the beginning of this response where I do try to politely point out that you can't possibly know what is actually critical for our business to succeed and that we are talking to customers daily and trying our best with our resources to offer something we're proud of and excited about.

I have to say that if, as you alluded, you're used to developing large scale products with complicated interactions, then I'm genuinely shocked that you can predict with accuracy the timescales different items will take... We generally find that development of research projects to levels where they're ready for public consumption takes an extremely unpredictable amount of time - and always has. Sometimes things go better than you hope, sometimes they go much worse... but if you're under pressure to hit a timescale then you are forced to pursue a route which will lead to a poor solution :(

There's no doubt in my mind that we offer a genuinely great alternative to just about any other design/illustration application and we're working to improve it to the best of our abilities. We'll get there, but rushing will just wreck the whole thing and it's not what anybody actually wants to receive and not focusing on the things our business requires along the way will result in no products at all... The updates are free, they'll keep on coming and we're trying our hardest. The decisions we make aren't accidents or misguided if you understood our business (which nobody else could unless they worked here and were privy to all our meetings). There's nothing to be too down about, is there?

Thanks again,

Matt

Hey @MattP can we expect a possible Blend tool anytime soon ? Here i'm asking because i tired of doing the blend stuffs from my Linux machine then copy on USB drive as SVG then paste it on my Mac then work on it with APhoto or ADesigner.
To be capable or doing that from the same software is far away better.

Please make available a way to shape build, or transform the boolean operation group and make it become a tool on it's own that will be not only able to handle basic boolean operations but also do shape building.
Anyone have tried to do some kind of color harmony with the new beta ?

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

• Staff
4 minutes ago, DuctTape said:

Has blend/interpolation made into this version?

I think there's a thread about it somewhere where Tony Brightman (Head of Serif Labs) was asking for examples of where it was actually used to create things that weren't actually a poor version of what someone was really wanting to achieve via a new (as yet unseen) tool instead. ie If nobody could come up with something compelling then we were going to just implement a new tool that works differently so that we can actually produce the effect that users were actually trying to achieve in the first place. The normal examples are people trying to make wineglass shading out of 10,000 slightly different, blurred shapes that blend together, etc - and this would be much better achieved with a tool that produces a controllable gradient. That kind of thing...

7 minutes ago, MattP said:

I think there's a thread about it somewhere where Tony Brightman (Head of Serif Labs) was asking for examples of where it was actually used to create things that weren't actually a poor version of what someone was really wanting to achieve via a new (as yet unseen) tool instead. ie If nobody could come up with something compelling then we were going to just implement a new tool that works differently so that we can actually produce the effect that users were actually trying to achieve in the first place. The normal examples are people trying to make wineglass shading out of 10,000 slightly different, blurred shapes that blend together, etc - and this would be much better achieved with a tool that produces a controllable gradient. That kind of thing...

The short answer, No it will not be added to this version. Thanks MattP

17 minutes ago, MattP said:

I think there's a thread about it somewhere where Tony Brightman (Head of Serif Labs) was asking for examples of where it was actually used to create things that weren't actually a poor version of what someone was really wanting to achieve via a new (as yet unseen) tool instead.

I certainly could be wrong but I think by "Blend Tool" what is meant is one that can blend one shape into another shape through a series of intermediate  shapes, each one a bit more like the last one in the series than the previous one.

Affinity Photo 

23 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I certainly could be wrong but I think by "Blend Tool" what is meant is one that can blend one shape into another shape through a series of intermediate  shapes, each one a bit more like the last one in the series than the previous one.

That"s the exact thing we mean here, it is also called interpolation.
Let me see if i can compile a quick video of how i do that with Inkscape so you have better view of the idea the you tell us if and how we can achieve it with already existing tools.
@MattP we ask it because it is very useful and helpful

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

16 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I think that’s exactly what most of us mean! With a Blend Tool such as the one in DrawPlus you can easily create a series of evenly-spaced concentric circles by blending between two different sizes of concentric circle, but if you ‘power duplicate’ a transformed copy of a circle in AD you get a geometric progression of sizes instead of an arithmetic one. There are many other such things that you can’t achieve by power duplicating.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff
23 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Yes, I've definitely seen this as the way a blend tool is used - but usually it's because you're trying to achieve a certain look. It's very unlikely that the arbitrarily-interpolated results are going to be exactly what you were after if you were intending to use each of them for some particular purpose, so a dedicated tool to perform that action, together with some way of specifying key points/joints and controlling their motion (potentially individually) over the blend would be more appropriate and produce actual results that were desirable. We're simply trying to understand what people are really trying to achieve, because the Blend Tool in most other programs is just a generic answer and doesn't really give the exact results to the problem people were trying to solve, I think?

1 minute ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

There are many other such things that you can’t achieve by power duplicating.

Just consider the number of clicks or type you will have to do, a proper but dedicated tool makes it possible in few steps dear

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

1 minute ago, Uncle Mez said:

Just consider the number of clicks or type you will have to do, a proper but dedicated tool makes it possible in few steps

That’s true, Arnaud, but I’m focusing on things that are currently impossible (rather than just tedious) without a dedicated tool.

Alfred spacer.png

37 minutes ago, MattP said:

Yes, I've definitely seen this as the way a blend tool is used - but usually it's because you're trying to achieve a certain look. It's very unlikely that the arbitrarily-interpolated results are going to be exactly what you were after if you were intending to use each of them for some particular purpose, so a dedicated tool to perform that action, together with some way of specifying key points/joints and controlling their motion (potentially individually) over the blend would be more appropriate and produce actual results that were desirable. We're simply trying to understand what people are really trying to achieve, because the Blend Tool in most other programs is just a generic answer and doesn't really give the exact results to the problem people were trying to solve, I think?

@MattP you just said it all, it's exactly what we want, something that we can control in all its ways.
We know it as blend tool or interpolate tool but believe this: We can just guess how it will look like and trying to manipulate it can be a nightmare sometime.
Let me share with you how i do it with inkscape so you see (did it on my Linux laptop and it took 1min but i increased the speed so you don't get tired watching) 
... but what you said in the text quoted above (i repeat and confirm) is exactly what we dream about and ask for years now.

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

48 minutes ago, MattP said:

It's very unlikely that the arbitrarily-interpolated results are going to be exactly what you were after if you were intending to use each of them for some particular purpose, so a dedicated tool to perform that action, together with some way of specifying key points/joints and controlling their motion (potentially individually) over the blend would be more appropriate and produce actual results that were desirable.

I think it is more to use a group of blended/interpolated shapes collectively for some purpose, rather than to use each of them individually. For example, the (long gone but still loved by many old-timers) Macromedia Freehand implemented this as a 'live' path operation on a group in version 7, circa 1997.

EDIT: that app was capable of blending different shapes, like rectangles into ellipses, along a path. Unless the blend was ungrouped, the path could be altered dynamically.

Affinity Photo 

3 minutes ago, Uncle Mez said:

it took 1min but i increased the speed so you don't get tired watching

Maybe it’s just me, but I got tired watching it because you speeded it up!

Alfred spacer.png

35 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

That’s true, Arnaud, but I’m focusing on things that are currently impossible (rather than just tedious) without a dedicated tool.

Dear !

You are an already confirm genius which i am not yet (still finding my way) so ... :D won't go your route i don't want to trow my laptop on the wall because i can't achieve this or that the way you do it, so i ask for tools that can make it okay for me.
One of my mentors said to me one day: Good workers uses good tools !

So i stick to that, the more the tool is okay is the more the results by which i'm judged get better.
A bit of story please:
Months ago a took a decision to learn more about the Adobe thing and hired a trainer at home (actually the most skilled guy i knew around my town) for 5 lessons.
Long time before he starts the course, i went and downloaded Adobe PS  + Ai 2018 in its early days on my Mac, then came the guys with all his knowledge and found it difficult to teach me the way he wanted because he was used to PS (not Ai) but 2016 version ... we ended up sharing and talking about tech and stuffs after 3 sessions, i then invited him to get my demo copies of Adobe products and give it a try for a week or two.
Since that day he grew and became even better than before, he bought couples of licenses (while i moved to Serif Affinity) and really improved, recently we talked and i told him about the 2019 version of the thing and he jumped and decided to go for it.
Not that i'm making marketing of Adobe products but its a story to tell you that even the most skilled one, when he get the most refined and equiped tool dedicated to his work, he simply becomes far more better and his brain and creativity gets released and thats what you can feel when you watch hand lettering from ian barnar done with Procreate 4.2.

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

7 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Maybe it’s just me, but I got tired watching it because you speeded it up!

The 1min stuff is 3meg and i'm actually on battery (another power outage happened and don't know when they will restore it) so my modem + 4G internet make massive use of battery power that why i incresed the speed which devided the size by 3 ... but ...:D

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

• Staff

I believe you are misunderstanding Matt's post. He is not asking about what a blend tool is or how it works. He's suggesting we usually use it as a (generic) mean to achieve something else (a particular effect/result) but that the result isn't usually good enough/close enough to what we really wanted and could eventually be better if it was accomplished through a dedicated tool with a set of specific options designed for that end. 

While there's some cases where the blend tool does exactly what we want (the clip @Uncle Mez posted above is a good example of this), there others where we may be using it just because there's no other tool able to get as closer to the result we want as what the Blend Tool provides currently - for example using it to create a gradient that follows an horizon outline - you may create several shapes, change their colours and (in certain programs) their feather values to get a smooth blend between the colours that compose the gradient (or for shading faces suing blended shapes to help distribute the shading along a face) while following the outline. It works, but a dedicated tool do deal with complex gradients/its deformations/colour blending with a set of dedicated controls/options would probably generate a better result/could be more efficient. Is that type of examples/uses that (i believe) Matt is asking about so he can develop tools specifically geared/designed toward those ends.

2 minutes ago, MEB said:

I believe you are misunderstanding Matt's post. He is not asking about what a blend tool is or how it works. He's suggesting we usually use it as a (generic) mean to achieve something else (a particular effect/result) but that the result isn't usually good enough/close enough to what we really want and could eventually be better if it was accomplished through a dedicated tool with a set of specific options designed for that end. 

You said it so well dear, the way you described the tool and the way @MattP is the beginning of what we want.
Something efficient with all that you said as possibilities, so make it happen guys !

Our Wacoms, XP-Pen and Hiuon are waiting :D

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

19 minutes ago, Uncle Mez said:

Not that i'm making marketing of Adobe products but its a story to tell you that even the most skilled one, when he get the most refined and equiped tool dedicated to his work, he simply becomes far more better and his brain and creativity gets released and thats what you can feel when you watch hand lettering from ian barnar done with Procreate 4.2.

Ian Barnard seems to be an Affinity user these days!

https://affinityspotlight.com/article/stay-curious-ian-barnard-shares-his-tips-for-learning-lettering

Alfred spacer.png