You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.7.0.2)

15 hours ago, Gear maker said:

The construction mode looks like it'll be very handy ...

Could some kind soul explain to me what exactly "construction mode" is & how to activate it? I do not see anything in the Status bar or Context Toolbar with that mode name, & for now the built-in help just opens the old 1.6 version.

TIA

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

4 hours ago, MattP said:

Hi! :)

Construction objects can be deleted by Ctrl-clicking their visible handle - this is because they aren't ever 'selected' so there's no way to select one and press Delete. I've spoken to Ben about resizing circle construction objects and we'll look at this - sorry about the inconvenience in the meantime... :/ 

Thanks,

Matt

Thanks Matt.  I ran into a weird issue, the construction marks are not saved with the document.  So they are easy to be deleted, just reopen the document.  But if I go through all the work of creating them I will probably want to save them.  Is this intentional?

Also construction mode changes don't mark the document as Modified.  And if construction edit mode is "on" the document is not saved using a cmd S or from the menu.  But the Save is not grayed out.  If I do a Save As (also not grayed out) it goes through all the process of doing the save but it isn't.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

50 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Could some kind soul explain to me what exactly "construction mode" is & how to activate it? I do not see anything in the Status bar or Context Toolbar with that mode name, & for now the built-in help just opens the old 1.6 version.

TIA

R C-R if you go into the Node or Pen tool.  On the context toolbar the 5th icon in the Snap group.  Click on it and another set of icons will open up for construction and it also makes any existing construction marks available for snapping.  The first of the construction icons puts it into construction mode.  You'll be able to figure out the rest easily enough I think.  Read my earlier entry to Matt for a couple gotchas.  AD will ignore almost all other commands when construction mode is active so don't forget to exit construction mode when you aren't creating or editing construction marks.  Hope that helps.

5 minutes ago, Gear maker said:

Hope that helps.

Indeed it does. I doubt I would have ever noticed the extra snap group item without your help. O.o

Thank you very much for that! 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

22 hours ago, Petar Petrenko said:

Thanks very much A-team. Really great work.

But, IMO a lot of users will be a little dissapointed. Or... maybe much more dissapointed... Why? Because of arrowheads and mesh tools. They where asked 1000s time more then node, pen, isometric... and other enhancements. And not a word about it, or anything else.

I have no doubt Serif will blow us away and will put the same effort as they have shown with the added features into the age old requests you have mentioned here. Now that all the babies have hatched (except Publisher) they can NOW go and make us all happy and add those requests.

On 11/15/2018 at 5:06 AM, MattP said:

- Many tools now allow for 'Alignment widgets' which you can toggle the visibility of in the context toolbar. When enabled you can visually adjust the alignment or even, for example, 'align to centre, snapped to the left edge of this object' by simply click/dragging.

Has anyone figured out the "Alignment widgets" yet?  If so can you explain them?

27 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Indeed it does. I doubt I would have ever noticed the extra snap group item without your help. O.o

Thank you very much for that! 

R C-R you are welcome.  You probably don't realize how many times when reading your explanations I have said "Duh, why didn't I think of that!"  Thank you for that.

• Staff
48 minutes ago, Gear maker said:

Has anyone figured out the "Alignment widgets" yet?  If so can you explain them?

They give you access to some of the most common Alignment operations you may need to do, and they're accessed from the selection box. Best way to describe it is by way of video:

4 minutes ago, Sean P said:

They give you access to some of the most common Alignment operations you may need to do, and they're accessed from the selection box.

So they are the Show Rotation Center, Hide while dragging, etc. group.  I just didn't recognize the name.  Thanks.

FYI my widgets look different than yours.  Why is that?

408942349_ScreenShot2018-11-16at9_07_36AM.png.b6c34b8faf06ac1a35a9df2399c89ef8.png

57 minutes ago, MEB said:

They seem the same to me (other that the Light UI interface). What differences are you referring to exactly?

Oops, in the small screen they looked different.  You are right going full screen they do look the same.  Thanks.

@MattP and @Patrick Connor thanks for your answers.
No worry, i have time and i will load them manually one by one and see how it works but would first like to say BIG THANKS for Paolo Limonceli brushes and the way you actually implemented them, they work just like a charm, i'm now impatient to load the one i got from @Frankentoon and play with.

Blessings !

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

• Staff
2 hours ago, evtonic3 said:

Is there any way we can get a more in depth explanation of new features when they are introduced

More in depth than the video tutorials? No there isn't. I think the video tutorials are one of our strengths rather than an area where we are "lacking"

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

38 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

More in depth than the video tutorials? No there isn't. I think the video tutorials are one of our strengths rather than an area where we are "lacking"

I mean these new NEW features, for instance in my request I mentioned the new brush engine with the sub brushes, is there any information on how this works? BTW I think your tutorial videos are excellent.

• Staff
2 minutes ago, evtonic3 said:

I mean these new NEW features,....

I will see if the tutorial videos can be made public as they are completed, but currently you have to be in the room when they are demonstrated by the project leads & programmers. It's a bit "invite only" with a company our size...

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

On 11/15/2018 at 5:13 PM, Petar Petrenko said:

Thanks very much A-team. Really great work.

But, IMO a lot of users will be a little dissapointed. Or... maybe much more dissapointed... Why? Because of arrowheads and mesh tools. They where asked 1000s time more then node, pen, isometric... and other enhancements. And not a word about it, or anything else.

Are any of these features from the roadmap from - just one - added to Affinity 1.7 BETA?

• Mesh fill tool
  • Mesh warp/distort tool
  • Knife tool
  • alligraphic line styles
  • Arrow head line styles
  • Export slices previews with actual export data
  • Pages
  • Text features including Bullets and Numbering
  • Knockout groups
  • Multiple Effects/Fills/Strokes per shape
  • Convert Pixel selection to Vector shape
  • "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

2 minutes ago, Wafer said:

Are any of these features from the roadmap from - just one - added to Affinity 1.7 BETA?

• Mesh fill tool
  • Mesh warp/distort tool
  • Knife tool
  • alligraphic line styles
  • Arrow head line styles
  • Export slices previews with actual export data
  • Pages
  • Text features including Bullets and Numbering
  • Knockout groups
  • Multiple Effects/Fills/Strokes per shape
  • Convert Pixel selection to Vector shape

Bullets and Numbering working fine on my system... haven't had a chance to explore other text features.

3 minutes ago, Aongus Collins said:

Bullets and Numbering working fine on my system... haven't had a chance to explore other text features.

Why shouldn't they? If they work good in one app then they are just Copy/Pasted in other app where they are needed.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

8 minutes ago, Aongus Collins said:

Haha, bullets. Rocket science. I am beginning to fear that perhaps Serif is not the tech company I was hoping it is.

Still waiting for knife tool, distortion tool and mesh fill!!! :39_angry:

On the plus side I am starting to forgive Illustrator and Adobe for the subscription model and user interface. It is really more meaningful to deliver and get paid than to wait for years. For Godot.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

21 minutes ago, Wafer said:

Still waiting for knife tool, distortion tool and mesh fill!!! :39_angry:

The Node tool’s new Transform Mode allows for a high level of distortion and transformation. Now in addition to the traditional rectangular selection, it’s possible to lasso-select points freehand style. Designer highlights the selected points  in a bounding box on which operations such as skew, scale, move, rotate etc can be performed. Just started exploring this feature, which promises to be very powerful.

I’ve used mesh fills in Illustrator for years, and look forward to seeing them in Designer some day!

A knife tool would work faster (though probably less precisely) than my current practice of selecting points and clicking ‘Break Curve.’ 

29 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

Why shouldn't they? If they work good in one app then they are just Copy/Pasted in other app where they are needed.

He is not referring to copying & pasting but to the additional in-app features (similar to those in the Affinity Publisher beta). For example, compare the options available in the paragraph panel in v1.6 on the left to those in the 1.7 beta version on the right:

1472866189_AD1.6.jpg.3ee70f0304e4d73a6b5db2d50340bd42.jpg 1081089860_AD1.7beta.jpg.2ad3146882d4c0fb67d4364381528795.jpg

Among other things, the text in the highlighted Text field is fully editable.

Affinity Photo