You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feature request - Font groups/tags

Hello Affinity developers,

first, let me congratulate you for the excellent work you are doing. I love Affinity Designer and I completely switched from Corel and Illustrator to AD, and I even (successfully) instructed a lot of my friends/students to do the same.

The reason I decided to write this post is because I have a problem that none of the graphics software that I ever used managed to solve. It's about fonts and their licences. As a graphic designer, I'm a big font hoarder (I think most of my colleagues would agree with that), and currently, I have a lot of them installed on my mac. And let's say I want to create some kind of a template to sell in my shop for other graphic designers to use in their work. For that, I require a font with a commercial licence. My problem is, there is no way to figure out inside Affinity Designer which ones of my 3000 (random number) fonts have commercial licence and which don't. So, for every font (that I think might be appropriate for the template I'm working on) I need to manually search my documents to see if I have a commercial licence for them. It would make my life SO much easier to be able to somehow tag fonts with "Commercial Licence" and then filter those out from my drop-down list when needed. Or, even better, to be able to add multiple tags to the same font and filter out just "Commercial Licence" "Serif" fonts.

Please consider this as a future feature. You would be the first one to have a feature like that. Thanks!

Keep up the good work!

Hi there!

I like the idea of having tags and groups, that would make it easier to organize them inside the Application.

Now, on a side note, I am one of those that use the least possible number of Typefaces; there's so much quality out there, but one thing I make sure about is that the Typeface/Font can be used commercially and refrain myself from installing "Personal use only" Typefaces, and even doing that, I have over 1,000 Fonts (including those that come with Windows and Microsoft Office); that way at least I don't have to be worried about the use I can make of them.

So, the thing Steve Jobs said can be applied here: People think focus means saying yes to the thing you've got to focus on.  But that's not what it means at all. It means saying no to the hundred other good ideas that there are. You have to pick carefully.  I'm actually as proud of the things we haven't done as the things I have done.  Innovation is saying ‘no’ to 1,000 things.

Best regards!

4 minutes ago, Mithferion said:

I like the idea of having tags and groups, that would make it easier to organize them inside the Application.

I like the idea of having groups, but since I can already tag fonts in my font manager I wouldn’t want to tag them all over again inside each of the Affinity apps.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Just now, αℓƒяє∂ said:

I like the idea of having groups, but since I can already tag fonts in my font manager I wouldn’t want to tag them all over again inside each of the Affinity apps.

I see. So, I guess having both options would make more users happy. :P

I'd use the Groups to make conventional categories for them: Serif, Sans Serif, Script, etc.

Best regards!