You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Moving objects in Affinity Designer for iPad

Hi,

I'm having troubles to move objects on Affinity Designer on the iPad Pro 12.9 2' generation.

I can't find a proper tool to move objets and, every time, instead of moving the object it end up by deforming the vectors...and it's very frustrating!

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to solve my problem?

If not, would be possible to add a kind of "move tool" that allowed the user to just move the object without applying any modification?

Thank you very much! :)

(Please delete this topic if the question has already been asked)

2 hours ago, Matteo Borghi said:

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to solve my problem?

No, it is definitely not your fault, it is Serif's fault. This is a known issue that many people (including me) have been complaining about.

By far and away the worst thing about trying to use Designer on an iPad. In fact it is nearly impossible to use it.

Serif have been very quiet about this but hopefully they will listen to all the complaints from their customers and fix it.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Matteo...

Quite inexperienced myself, I also find many problems and difficulties with Designer but this has not been one of them.

Of course you will certainly have tried it, but I'm puzzled why the Move tool, top of toolbox, does not do what you want? 

Yes, I've always found that Double-tapping with Move tool does indeed put you in Node-edit mode (activating the (2nd down) Node-edit tool), but otherwise I myself can find no way to make the Move tool show or affect the vector nodes.

Doesn't help you, I know, but only say this to let you know there's others (I for one) who do not find this happening.

It's more curious because toltec (very experienced) and others do find the same as you.

• Staff

Hi all, 

This has already been logged as an improvement. Basically, it really depends on the size of the shape and the zoom level. If you have a small shape and zoomed our really far ( the shape being smaller than the fingertip) you will, of course, have a hard time moving/resizing. Zooming in should make your life a bit easier. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

• 4 months later...

Guys, I know you are very busy but nothing has changed and this problem is really freaking me out.

I can't work like this. If it will not be improved I will start searching for another vector app on the iPad (even if I really don't want, because my workflow is based on Affinity softwares now!).

My suggestions to solve this problem are:

A) The Move Tool must be able EXCLUSIVELY to move things, otherwise it will keep deforming the shapes you are trying to move and that's #@‘ç[¶%* frustrating. And if you want to modify the shape you can use the Node Tool - or another tool that you can add.

Or

B) When you have to Move Tool selected you will be able to move the shape just if you click and drag outside the shape body (like in Procreate) and, if you want to modify the shape, you click on the shape body. So you will not accidentally modify the shape like it's happening now!

Please, make it happen. My ideal solution would be B, but any solution would be greatly appreciated anyway.

Thank you :224_monkey:

On 3/23/2019 at 1:46 PM, Matteo Borghi said:

A) The Move Tool must be able EXCLUSIVELY to move things, otherwise it will keep deforming the shapes you are trying to move and that's #@‘ç[¶%* frustrating. And if you want to modify the shape you can use the Node Tool - or another tool that you can add.

I think I’d go for your first option. Clean and simple. If need be add another tool which can do more, but when I need to move something around, it’s just that I want to do and nothing else. 

• 1 month later...

I confirm that even in my experience some operations  not just moving objects, are particularly frustrating.  This is due to the lack of appreciation of the potential of the iPad Pro laminated screen and the wonderful Apple Pencil.  I wrote a post today in which I was referring to the lack of an instrument, it would be enough to associate a gesture, which allows to select all the nodes of a curve, after having selected only one.  In this way the movement without deformation would be much easier.

Ciao Matteo, sei italiano?

@Angelos58

quale problema incontri... spesso con lavori a tanti livelli ci si confonde, però riesco ancora gestire le cose in modo appropriato.

Forse mi trovo peggio con lo spostamento rispetto all'annulla perché se le due dita non sono bene coordinate si rischia di invertire la funzione.

Ciao
Fabio

8 minutes ago, Filo63 said:

@Angelos58

quale problema incontri... spesso con lavori a tanti livelli ci si confonde, però riesco ancora gestire le cose in modo appropriato.

Forse mi trovo peggio con lo spostamento rispetto all'annulla perché se le due dita non sono bene coordinate si rischia di invertire la funzione.

Ciao
Fabio

CIao Fabio.  Il gesto delle due dita per annullare funziona benissimo, molto più problematico è l’uso della Apple Pencil, ma anche delle dita per lo spostamento o la selezione.

Si per annullare è perfetto.

Mi sono spiegato male...Quello che mi capita spesso è che a zoom elevato, l'uso delle due dita con la mo sinistra + la penna con la mano destra, comporta degli spostamenti o degli zoom indesiderati. Ci vuole un allenamento non indifferente.

• 1 month later...