Hi HennieRoets and Welcome to the Forums,

With the Artistic Text tool, you can set the background colour from the Character Panel (View>Studio>Character) and then set the Background colour.

For a text frame, you can use the same option but it would only highlight the text and not fill the text frame with colour.  So the simplest way to do this, would be to the use the Rectangle Tool from the left hand toolbar, make a shape to fit your canvas and apply a colour to it from the Colour Panel. You then need to drag this layer down below your Text layer in the Layers Panel 

The simplest way would surely be to use the Text Frame panel. With the Frame Text tool you can use Insets (6mm in the screenshot). With the Artistic text tool you can still have a fill and stroke but the Inset is greyed out.

image.thumb.png.83afcf95a036e5497a7bac6c391b3786.png

image.png

Windows 7 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

3 hours ago, MickRose said:

The simplest way would surely be to use the Text Frame panel

Isn't that only in Publisher for now?

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, April 2018 Update (1803), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.209 Beta
Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.209 Beta
Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.221 Beta

10 minutes ago, MickRose said:

It is but I thought the question was about Publisher. My mistake if that's not the case.

It's hard to be sure, as the OP didn't say, but as the question isn't in one of the Publisher forums I assumed (bad idea, in general, I know) that it's not about Publisher :D

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, April 2018 Update (1803), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.209 Beta
Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.209 Beta
Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.221 Beta

I wish the Affinity Desktop questions section was split into different programs. But I think you're probably right.

Windows 7 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM