You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

My first try with Affinity Designer

DeyanApp

• 2 weeks later...

@DeyanApp Love your illustrations, but these two aren't quite working for me. The image just doesn't look like it is on the rocks, instead it looks like transparency over a photo.

Do you have Affinity Photo? If so, perhaps investigate the Displacement feature… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svaIoTqIWdU

If not, perhaps a bit more experimentation with blending modes, or even chopping up the image and displacing it by hand might add some realism?

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

Here is a very quick tweak of the top left corner of your Aztec Water God image.

1890107014_AffinityDeyanAppRejig.png.dd92f40a17bda5c651d78847c2fffb85.png

I drew in a few of the blocks with the pen tool, and put a slightly scaled and rotated copy of the image inside block. Then added a drop shadow and bevel to the blocks to make them pop out of the surface.

Only a few minutes work, but shows what could be achieved.

Also think that a textured stroke on the black outline would really help bed the illustration onto the stone work.

And let me reiterate - I love your work!

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

This is the result from one more hour of experimenting with blending options and adjustments. Plus one more texture for the body and wings. For me is way better, but still not "perfect". Later I'll try to edit this piece in Affinity Photo, but first I'm going to program some games at work 9_9.

AztecAB.thumb.jpg.8ffb1ddef464785ef73737ab159ccbd1.jpg

AztecAngryBird.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

After a long break (I needed to focus on my game) today I decided to draw something for fun. I wanted something much simpler to get a video that more people could recreate. After 30 minutes the result was this cool leprechaun.

After a while, I decided that this leprechaun would make a pretty good character, and after another 90 minutes this is the final result. I hope you like it.

Leprechaun.thumb.png.bf4d02b3d349ae955ef0fb01dac9258c.png