You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Customer Beta (1.7.0.98)

On 11/14/2018 at 2:50 PM, Andy Somerfield said:

- Multiple GPUs are supported - if you have more than 1 GPU (ie. Intel + AMD in MacBook Pro, or Intel + eGPU in other Macs) Photo will use them all, at the same time, to improve performance. There is no limit to the number of GPUs which can be used.

So if I have an iPad Pro connected to a Thunderbolt 3 Dock which also connects my MBP, Affinity will also leverage the A12X on the iPad Pro ????

That wud be awesome if Affinity could turn one's connected iPad Pro (or Mac) into an eGPU for the other device, in real time. So I could choose to work on the iPad for freehand sketching and painting, then set it down and use the MBP and mouse for precision, expanded workspace, etc....

Yes, YES, YEEEESSSSS!!!!! :72_imp: 

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• Staff
42 minutes ago, ronnyb said:

So if I have an iPad Pro connected to a Thunderbolt 3 Dock which also connects my MBP, Affinity will also leverage the A12X on the iPad Pro ????

No, only the integrated (Intel) and discrete graphics card of your Mac plus any external eGPUs you may have are supported - you can connect more than one eGPU through the Thunderbolt 3 ports on your Mac (an external eGPU enclosure + graphic card, not iPads).

16 minutes ago, MEB said:

No, only the integrated (Intel) and discrete graphics card plus any external eGPU (an external eGPU enclosure + graphic card, not iPads) are supported.

I figured as much... was being facetious but that wud be sweet if Affinity cud leverage connected devices’ CPUs/GPUs

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

7 minutes ago, ronnyb said:

I figured as much... was being facetious but that wud be sweet if Affinity cud leverage connected devices’ CPUs/GPUs

That seems like something that would require additional hardware & OS level support that Apple would have to implement before it would become feasible.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I was able to get the beta to run on my MacBook Air and to discover what I was most curious about: the various deficiencies in Curves LAB mode are not being addressed in this release. (RGB histograms displayed when LAB or CMYK channels are requested; numerical range of A and B is 0-1 rather than -1 to 1 or a scaled version.) I have started to collect my suggestions on LAB in AP in the feature request forum and will add to that.  These issues have been known for a while and are said to have been passed on to developers, so I conclude, based on earlier posts, that Serif is not ready to devote resources to them. I had hoped to adapt the methods of Dan Margulis to Affinity and that AP's capabilities might grow as I learned more about his methods, but it may be easier to do that in PS. Would appreciate comments on Serif's plans if senior people can comment.

AP 1.7.3, MacOS 10.14.6 (usually latest of each, but not going to Catalina until more issues are resolved)

Mac Mini, Late 2012, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB; HD replaced with SSD

Liking the performance increases, when in the develop persona editing a raw image on a 2016 MacBook 13" nTB changes are now live where before you would change a slider and it would redraw the image on the screen in blocks. very nice.

So far it works generally on high sierra. Thanks. BUT: maybe you should write a warning in the feature-list-text "default = metall on" -  on my 2015 imac it first worked after i disabled this!

Bug: Smudge tool will written as macro, but the smudge-steps will not played by recall!

Really nice texture-filter :-) But the old nasty behavior that filters will re-appear on the standard place in standard size, instead the last point/size is not fixed now. 

I also really like the brush-rotion by left&reight keys (even with shift!) - sometimes just the smallest develops brings the most enjoying. Keep calm on develop faster and smarter user-app-interaction.

Where is the media-browser now? Or is there a better replacement for this now, how its called????

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

• Staff

This beta has been replaced by a more recent build, currently 1.7.0.99 but you will find the latest pinned to the top of this forum

If you wish to discuss a bug reported in this thread please make a new thread as this one is now locked

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon