You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Customer Beta (1.7.0.98)

• Staff

Purpose: Features, Improvements, Fixes

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Photo

Mac App Store: Not submitted

Download: Download

Hello,

We are pleased to announce the immediate availability of the first beta of Affinity Photo 1.7 for macOS.

Photo 1.7 is a (very) significant change to the currently shipping 1.6 version, so, as ever, I would strongly urge users to avoid the 1.7 beta for critical work. This is especially true as this is the first of many beta builds we will release before 1.7 ships. Things will be broken in this build - please use it to explore the new features and not for real work.

If this is your first time using a customer beta of an Affinity app, it’s worth noting that the beta will install as a separate app - alongside your store version. They will not interfere with each other at all and you can continue to use the store version for critical work without worry.

It’s also worth noting that we aren’t done yet - we are still working through reported bugs from previous releases and hope to fix as many as possible before the final release of 1.7.

With all that said, we hope that you will enjoy the new capabilities introduced in this initial release and we look forward to any and all feedback you give to us.

Many thanks (as always),

Affinity Photo Team  :ph34r:

Affinity Photo 1.7 - Changes Since Last 1.6 Release

Performance

- The core processing engine in Affinity Photo has been rewritten to take advantage of the powerful discrete AMD GPUs in modern Mac hardware. It will now automatically use any compatible discrete GPU, alongside the Intel GPU support present in 1.6. Typically this improves compositing / editing performance by at least 1000%. Performance when using integrated Intel GPUs has also been massively improved.

- External GPUs (eGPU) are also supported - including hot-plug-and-unplug support.

- Multiple GPUs are supported - if you have more than 1 GPU (ie. Intel + AMD in MacBook Pro, or Intel + eGPU in other Macs) Photo will use them all, at the same time, to improve performance. There is no limit to the number of GPUs which can be used.

Brushes

- Photo 1.7 introduces a new “sub-brush” mechanism, developed in conjunction with Paolo Limoncelli (DAUB® Brushes). This exciting feature allows any brush to have a list of other brushes attached which will draw at the same time. Each sub-brush has a fully separate and customisable set of dynamics. You can control when the sub-brushes are drawn and how they blend with the main brush.

- The brush engine in Photo has been rewritten to use the new GPU architecture described above. With GPU support, even huge brushes with 1% spacing will perform well. All brushes / brush tools are accelerated.

- Symmetry (up to 32-way) is now supported - including on-canvas controls and optional mirroring. We have more symmetry features on the way - so stay tuned during the beta process.

- Wet edges and accumulation are now available on colour brushes and brushes with HSL variance.

- Brushes with multiple nozzle textures have always chosen the nozzle at random. In 1.7, the nozzle choice has a dynamic controller and ramp for greater control.

- All brush tools now support left and right arrow keys for rotation - a common feature request ;)

RAW

- The RAW processing engine in Photo has been rewritten - producing better results and improved performance. It also takes advantage of the GPU architecture changes described above.

- RAW files now load much more quickly - especially if you have a compatible GPU.

- Reimplemented support for XTrans sensors.

- The denoise algorithm has been rewritten. It produces better results and takes advantage of the new GPU architecture.

- Hot pixel removal is now automatically performed by the Serif Labs engine.

- Profiled lens correction are more stable, apply more quickly, and can be toggled in the Develop UI.

- The histogram in the Develop persona is now presented in the output colour space - as opposed to always being linear.

Filters

- New “Procedural Texture” filter with advanced presets support.

- New “Voronoi” filter.

- Denoise, Clarity and Shadows / Highlights filters have been rewritten (using technology from the Develop Persona).

- More filters are now available as Live Filters - including the new Procedural Texture filter.

- Live filters have been rewritten to improve performance - especially when multiple filters are used in a document.

- Improved Polar to Rectangular and Rectangular to Polar filters.

Adjustments

- The HSL adjustment layer has been rewritten. It now supports custom hue ranges, a new algorithm, new UI and picker controls.

- The Levels adjustment layer now supports output levels - a common feature request.

- The White Balance adjustment layer has been rewritten.

- The Selective Colour adjustment layer has been rewritten.

- PSD import / export of adjustments has been improved.

- The Vibrance adjustment layer has been rewritten.

- The Recolour adjustment layer has gained a lightness slider.

Tools

- The Crop tool has been rewritten - it now supports resolution changes, absolute pixel size and has a much improved preset mechanism.

- The Sponge Brush tool now gives more correct / pleasant results.

- A general tools overhaul has been performed - providing editing of grids, guides, page origin, across multiple tools (not just in the Move tool)

General

- “Alternate futures” for document history have been added. Traditionally, if you roll back the undo history then do something else all your changes after that point are lost. Photo will now display a small branch icon in the history tab when you do this. Pressing that button will cycle between all the different “futures” after that history entry - meaning you will never lose work you have done.

- HEIF images can now be loaded directly into Photo. If they contain a depth map, this will also be loaded as a second layer. Because depth maps are typically lower resolution than the main image, optional “smart” upsampling will be performed.

- A large number of new cameras are supported for RAW development (we will provide a list of the new supported cameras as soon as possible!).

- The batch process dialog now fully supports expressions for height and width - available constants are “w”, “h” and “dpi”.

- Photo now supports custom document presets - a popular feature request.

- A new blend mode - Linear Burn - has been added.

- New “Move inside / outside” commands have been added - useful for quick operations on clipping masks etc.

- The Hard Mix blend mode has been improved.

- New provider options have been added to the stock panel - support for Unsplash and Pexels. Both of these providers offer full-resolution stock imagery which is free to use.

- Metadata is now dynamically synchronised with your document - so if you resize then export, the values will be correct.

- Numerous text improvements have been made - including new features.

- Significant PDF import / export improvements and fixes.

- Numerous other bug fixes - too many to list!

Cleaning my cache file and will download it straight then revert here?
Thank you so much @Andy Somerfield this was waited for long time now.

Blessings !

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

24 minutes ago, Andy Somerfield said:

- The core processing engine in Affinity Photo has been rewritten to take advantage of the powerful discreet AMD GPUs in modern Mac hardware. It will now automatically use any compatible discreet GPU, alongside the Intel GPU support present in 1.6.

oops.gif

*discrete

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

4 minutes ago, Andy Somerfield said:

chilacho,

It asks because it cannot find the purchased copy - but it only looks in /Applications for it.. If you have moved the purchased copy into some subdirectory, or not in /Applications, please move it back to /Applications then it should work :)

Thanks,

A

Hey Andy

Thank you for your quick reply, this was the problem. Now it works. Thanks a lot!

Best

chilacho

2 minutes ago, Jens Krebs said:

Thanks for the Stock Photo options.

Going to install and then click on the "Photo" button in Publisher to see what happens. :)

Like the new, square logo!!

It opens Photo Beta :D

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• Staff
8 minutes ago, Jens Krebs said:

Nope, not yet ... still just pops a window, explaining that it will work in a later beta. Was worth a try.

Not yet guys, sorry 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Affinity Photo Beta loaded.
NO issue on install.
A bit slow at launch.
Nice Splash screen
Thanks for more stock image website (pixabay.com would be great too)
Thanks for the mirror tool.
Will do more test in the morning as it's 2.40AM on my side.

Blessings !

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

I installed without problems but it is unusable because it is impossible to see on the subject of images and brushes as you can see from attachments.

I have not altered my preferences.

I'm using iMac 5k late 2015 ... do you have any suggestions?

Ciao

Fabio

Schermata 2018-11-15 alle 09.17.05.png

Schermata 2018-11-15 alle 09.18.07.png

Schermata 2018-11-15 alle 09.18.49.png

Schermata 2018-11-15 alle 09.24.09.png

• Staff
20 minutes ago, Filo63 said:

I installed without problems but it is unusable because it is impossible to see on the subject of images and brushes as you can see from attachments.

I have not altered my preferences.

I'm using iMac 5k late 2015 ... do you have any suggestions?

Ciao

Fabio

Hi Fabio :)

Could I get you to try going into the Preferences and go to the 'Performance' section and turn off Metal compute, then restart the application? Does everything draw correctly after that or not? Please let us know - thanks! :)

Matt

13 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Not yet guys, sorry 

The "Edit in Photo" option of Publisher is working, but there is no corresponding "Edit in Publisher" option in the Photo beta - any chance we can get that added to the next one?

Also there is currently no way to switch pages/spreads if bringing in a multi-page document from Publisher - it only shows the first one.

20 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Also there is currently no way to switch pages/spreads if bringing in a multi-page document from Publisher - it only shows the first one.

At least for me, the "Edit in Photo" option of the Publisher beta only sends the currently displayed workspace page spread (master or regular) to the Photo beta. I would not expect anything more than that since Photo does not support pages, spreads, or page masters.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

38 minutes ago, R C-R said:

only sends the currently displayed workspace page

Not quite true - if you print from the photo beta after sending the document over, you can choose an "n-up" document format and all of the pages can be printed from there, so all of the pages are actually sent to Photo; you just can't switch pages for editing once you are there.

You wouldn't really need the whole Pages studio panel to fix this - just previous/next page buttons at a convenient place in the interface, maybe a "go to page" menu option, would probably be appropriate?  (ok, showing the current page number you are on would probably be a good idea too...)