You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer. Cropping

Hello. There is one more unpleasant moment in your wonderful program.

For example. I need to crop the image, and this is done very easily and conveniently ...

Ashampoo_Snap_2018_11.14_00134.thumb.jpg.c8bc6c49acbb5ddd96912da2ee8c595e.jpg

Ashampoo_Snap_2018_11.14_00135.thumb.jpg.aa40aca1c73b2c418cde28beb2b94902.jpg

But after saving the image, the “trimmed” areas are also saved! It is necessary to frame in extraneous programs ...

Ashampoo_Snap_2018_11.14_00136.jpg.409b798c78ad0dc5e465bc0d12fe14e9.jpg

Ashampoo_Snap_2018_11.14_00138.thumb.jpg.67f88f5ec5510027106b94a50017f280.jpg

Cropping does not crop the image, but masks it, and this is not very good ...

Maybe it makes sense that the frame of the crop just cut the picture, and not mask?

Thank.

If I use the Crop Tool in a Text, and then export said text, the resulting image is just what I trimmed it to.

• Crop Tool and Export using "Selection with background":

image.png.081b1c365c129fba508c18cb162e97fe.png

• I open it back in Designer

image.png.a136e77cf2a226db513294de48adf134.png

Best regards!

Hello graphos,

I don't know if my solutions are right for you, it may depend on the content of your drawing.

1) If your map is composed of curves, you can use thin lines at the points provided for cutting your drawing, these lines must extend beyond the drawing. With these selected lines, "Expand Stoke". Then select the set (drawing and lines) and do a Boolean operation " Divide ". Once "Dividend" is completed, select the parts to be deleted and press the "Delete" key.

2) If you have exported your drawing to png for example, place it in AD, "Convert to Curves" and add the cutting lines as before ("Expand Stroke" on the lines), do the "Divid" operation and delete the unwanted parts.

In both cases the final drawing no longer contains the external parts.

Découpe carte.png

On 11/14/2018 at 7:07 AM, graphos said:

Cropping does not crop the image, but masks it

With vector drawings, ‘crop’ and ‘mask’ are two different words for the same thing. For destructive cropping, use the ‘Intersect’ command.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

In case you have vectors and you'd rather not go through the trouble of intersecting every shape, you can instead use artboards as cropping tools. Simply create an artboard and size it to the rectangle you want to crop with. Provided you have snapping enabled it will snap to the edges of the rectangle afaik.

Mădălin Vlad
Graphic Designer

45 minutes ago, blureshadow said:

Simply create an artboard and size it to the rectangle you want to crop with.

Having drawn and selected a suitable rectangle, you can use the ‘Convert Object to Artboard’ command to create an artboard of the desired size.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

5 hours ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Having drawn and selected a suitable rectangle, you can use the ‘Convert Object to Artboard’ command to create an artboard of the desired size.

Yes, but unfortunately it's still not cropping the vectors if you need vectors as output. Real cropping in Designer is only possible when converted to pixels. Impossible with vectors if you don't want to go through all curves one by one and do a lot of work using the boolean tools.

I need a real destructive vector crop tool too. Right now cropping vectors is a real pain and takes forever.