You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

DNG and Affinity

• Staff

Hi kervanoel :)

Thanks for your report, I've downloaded your DNG and I can see the RAW originates from a Canon M50. Unfortunately this is not currently a supported RAW camera in either Serif LABS or the Apple Core RAW engine and this is why the image is not loading correctly.

Hopefully your camera will be included in the next RAW update, but I cannot provide a guarantee or timescale for this currently, my apologies.

I will also move this thread to Feature Requests as it isn't a bug within Affinity, many thanks. 

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• Staff

Unfortunately DNGs aren't a part of our official import list (see below), we can only guarantee compatibility for DNGs created from supported RAW files currently, apologies.

image.png

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

I think that the OP has converted the CR3 and embedded the original in the DNG, it works fine with ordinary DNGs without the embedded RAW original. (I have been using them for a while as I have a M50)

Use these preferences in the Adobe DNG Converter and it is OK.

DNG OK.jpg

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

2 hours ago, Dan C said:

Unfortunately DNGs aren't a part of our official import list (see below), we can only guarantee compatibility for DNGs created from supported RAW files currently, apologies.

image.png

However, Adobe Digital Negative (DNG) is on the list of "Serif Labs Supported Cameras", which may be why the OP expects this to work. I find it odd that a file format is listed as a camera; perhaps there's room for clarification or enhancement there :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
5 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I find it odd that a file format is listed as a camera; perhaps there's room for clarification or enhancement there :)

Thanks for that, I'll raise this with the relevant team!

7 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

However, Adobe Digital Negative (DNG) is on the list of "Serif Labs Supported Cameras", which may be why the OP expects this to work. I find it odd that a file format is listed as a camera; perhaps there's room for clarification or enhancement there :)

It should really just say “SerifLabs Supported Raw Formats”. After all, it’s the raw format which is supported in each case, rather than the camera itself!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

@kervanoel Could you possibly provide the original RAW that was used to create the DNG you've supplied? I've tried to replicate the issue with your DNG using a sample M50 RAW and I'm having no issues on import to Affinity. The RAW can be uploaded to this link - https://www.dropbox.com/request/nO2gECq28xpuqhYLU7GE

Regarding DNG support, AFAIK we only guarantee compatibility with supported RAW formats pre conversion, but our provided list appears otherwise so I'm trying to get clarification here from a developer and will report back with any findings.

11 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

It should really just say “SerifLabs Supported Raw Formats”. After all, it’s the raw format which is supported in each case, rather than the camera itself!

I don't think that's quite correct, Alfred. I have seen reports in these forums, for example, that a files of some format (just guessing here, but I'll say .cr3) produced by camera model A work but files with that same type produced by camera model B don't.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

40 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I don't think that's quite correct, Alfred. I have seen reports in these forums, for example, that a files of some format (just guessing here, but I'll say .cr3) produced by camera model A work but files with that same type produced by camera model B don't.

You’re right, Walt, but I think I just didn’t express myself clearly! What I meant is that “Canon Model A supported” is shorthand for “Canon Model A CR3 format supported”, the point being that CR3 isn’t really a single raw format, since (in this case) the CR3 files produced by Model A and Model B don’t look the same to the raw engine.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

As I mentioned previously DNGs from the CR3/M50, I have been using it for 7 months, are fine BUT don't embed the original CR3 in the DNG.

If my first post had been read and acted on it was a simple solution, here is the CR3 extracted and converted to DNG again.

AP No Embedded.jpg

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

• Staff

Thanks for that, I've tried your file in our new 1.7 beta and I'm not seeing any issues with opening your DNG. Could you please try installing the beta from the following link and letting me know if this fixes your issue?