You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Line Spacing - Questions

hello guys!

first of all: english is not my native language so i hope i can explain myself.

i usually use indesign at work but hopefully i can switch to the complete affinity suite. he main work i do are magazine layouts, print ads and so on.
therefore i use the textframe tool quite a bit! so it comes that i recognized some strange settings between publisher and indesign. let me explain this.

i draw a textframe with a filler text in the same font in publisher and indesign but publisher has some different line spacing settings:

Some common InDesign Examples:
font size 8pt - line space 9,6pt
font size 10pt - line space 12pt
font size 12pt - line space 14,4pt

but publisher has these settings:
font size 8pt - line space 8,3pt
font size 10pt - line space 10,4pt
font size 12pt - line space 12,5pt

the publisher settings are too close for each line. why are these settings used?
can i change these odd behavior so that the standard line spacing settings are used?

ah and one small or even big bug (i think): i cant select characters or even sentences with my cursor.
it is either all or nothing that i can select. even with my arrow keys! its the start of an paragraph or the end of it.... 

maybe you have some advice for me handling these kind of problems!
Thank you!

I may be wrong but I think filler text is actually supposed to be select all or nothing.

If you notice, when you resize the text box the text always fills it, it never shows the eye symbol for text overflow. Its actually quite handy as you never need to paste more text in when you're preparing a visual, but you're right - it would be good if the filler text contained headings etc.

If you paste in a load of lorem ipsum or something from Word etc you'll be able to select individual lines and characters etc.

Regarding the leading, I normally change it to % and set it at around 125% or so. I agree, the default is a little tighter than I'd like.

• Staff

Hi mettwurzt,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
As @icreate pointed out, filler text is only selectable as a block. You can turn it into "editable" text going to menu Text ▸ Expand ▸ Expand field if you want.
You can set the Filler Text to always be inserted as editable text in Affinity Publisher Preferences, General section, ticking Insert filler text as text. Additionaly you can also set you own filler text in Affinity Preferences, Filler Text section.
Thanks for your feedback regarding the leading.

You can change filler text in Preferences so that it behaves like normal text.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Just now, MEB said:

Hi mettwurzt,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
As @icreate pointed out, filler text is only selectable as a block. You can turn it into "editable" text going to menu Text ▸ Expand ▸ Expand field if you want.
Thanks for your feedback regarding the leading.

Meb, is it possible to have headings (or pretty much all styles) as part of the filler text? That way you can style each element and see the filler text change accordingly. Is this worth adding to the discussions and suggestions forum?

On 11/13/2018 at 9:16 PM, mettwurzt said:

the publisher settings are too close for each line. why are these settings used?

Each font contains a setting that says what the leading should be for that font, as decided by the font's author. That leading is what Publisher uses by default. As far as we're concerned, the font's leading is the standard for that font.

On 11/13/2018 at 9:16 PM, mettwurzt said:

can i change these odd behavior so that the standard line spacing settings are used?

Yes, of course. The leading control is in the Paragraph panel, with a shortcut to it in the Text context toolbar. You can also change it via text styles. Any change will also apply to new text created from that point in the same document. Edit > Defaults > Save will make the current default apply to new documents.

27 minutes ago, Dave Harris said:

Each font contains a setting that says what the leading should be for that font, as decided by the font's author. That leading is what Publisher uses by default.

Thanks for pointing this. I never use 120% or other random value that's not suitable for each font, pefering to do it depending manually, for a good visual effect.

Now, I'll try APub setting knowing this :)

• 4 months later...

hello guys!

i cant figure it out with these default settings. i want this 12pt "space after paragraph" removed, but it doesnt work.
i select the textfield (with the 0pt paragraph settings) and then Edit > Defaults > Save. But Publisher goes like "i dont care."
i also changed the fillertext in the options with a german one, but publisher goes like "i dont care." and does not use this new text.

:-( maybe you can give me an advice, please?

thanks!

1 minute ago, mettwurzt said:

i select the textfield (with the 0pt paragraph settings) and then Edit > Defaults > Save.

I think you need Edit > Defaults > Synchronize from Selection first.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.