You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Does Affinity photo support vector graphics?

Hello all,

I'm trying to create a photo with a text overlay for print, however, the print person I'm working with says the files I'm sending over don't scale properly. I suppose that means that the text graphics are not vector. 

Is there a way to do this in Photo? It's just two words inside a rectangle border. 

Thanks in advance!

Yes, it does support vector graphics, although you do need to export your file in a format that supports vector graphics, like SVG or PDF or the text will be rasterised when you export it.

However, why does your print person need to "scale" the files ? They should really be at the right size to start with or you are likely to have issues with pixellation of the photo as well as the text.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

If you are exporting to PSD, the text will be rasterized. For those purposes, I convert Text to Curves.

What's the Format you are using to send your files to the print person.

Best regards!

Hi Toltec - 

I originally exported it as an EPS and he said that even at 100% zoom, it was showing up as a tiny picture (like half of what the size should be). The full resolution file is 24 MP. I guess I exported it in the wrong format though so I'll try PDF.

Hi Mithferion, 

I originally sent it as an EPS. I only chose that format because somewhere online, I read that EPS was a good file format for printing, no other reason.

Thanks to both of you for the insight

My print person is using Illustrator and basically no matter what file format I send to him, PSD (converted text to curves), PDF, EPS, it always ends up small, even at 100% zoom with the text pixelated. 

Either I'm missing something or there's some incompatibility between Affinity and Illustrator

Can you provide us with a sample .afphoto file, and the exported version, so we can see what's happening?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 hours ago, Mithferion said:

By any chance, are you applying any kind of effect to said text?

Best regards!

Hi Mithferion, 

No, I checked and am not applying any effect to the text. I've also attached the file I'm attempting to export in this post. 

5 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Can you provide us with a sample .afphoto file, and the exported version, so we can see what's happening?

Hi Walt,

I've attached the .afphoto file below.

Thank you! 

Drew's_Gift.afphoto

12 hours ago, Ashwin said:

Hi Mithferion, 

No, I checked and am not applying any effect to the text. I've also attached the file I'm attempting to export in this post. 

Hi there.

Well, I exported your file using the EPS (For web) preset:

image.png.37af20b5c1e98683a836e3e7ce9f6e4c.png

• And this is what I see if I open the file in Photo again (I don't have Futura, so I used a similar Font):

image.thumb.png.b99a64197c4a85d5dd3b621d5953b51d.png

So, here is the thing:

• The top object iside the Layer is an image (red rectangle), that has the picture and the text you put in there
  • But below that (blue rectangle) you have your Curves (text and rectangle) and more images.

So, I guess that the first object is what the print person must be seeing. The other thing I noticed about the way I exported it is that the color of the other images images changed a bit; there must some setting to address that issue; I'll make some more testings.

Best regards!

On my second attempt, I did the following with your file:

• Grouped all the effects with your original image, and then I rasterized it.

image.thumb.png.c1782dd226ad94a05c341990abf06b6f.png

• After that, I set the text's stroke color to transparent (this is to avoid redundant Curves):

image.thumb.png.e7d46b00ca66c566998f8ee10834489e.png

• Then exported it with the following settings:

image.png.2bdea1e909d3024cd4df1566bfea243f.png

• And the result was this, your text converted to curves and the image as a separated object, with all the adjustments you originally did. For your printing purposes, I guess this should be enough:

image.thumb.png.56ee6f6a572ae57e1eef8a5d6fc94621.png

Hope this helps. I also attached the EPS file.

Best regards!

Drew's_Gift.eps

If Mithferion's ideas don't help, @Ashwin, perhaps you could get your printer to take a screenshot of what they're seeing, and send it to you. You could then post it here so we can see what they're seeing.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 3 weeks later...