You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am a pro designer getting a new iMac and can’t afford InDesign & Illustrator. Will Affinity Designer, as Illustrator’s replacement run on OS Mojave? (Specs on site go to High Sierra.) I can wait a little while for a solid replacement for InDesign. What is the estimated time frame for the Affinity Publisher release? Do these programs work with font management like Suitcase Fusion? Thank you.

• Staff

Hi Designing Woman,

Welcome to the forums :)

The Affinity range is completely compatible with Mojave. We don't have an exact ETA for the launch of Publisher but it should be around the end of the year. As far as I'm aware the apps aren't compatible with Suitcase fusion.

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Thank you. So how are designers using Affinity Designer managing fonts? In the past I’ve had hundreds managed by Suitcase or ATM Deluxe. Is Font Book on a  Mac enough with the newer .otf open type format? Another question: can I open Illustrator .ai or .eps in Designer or InDesign files in Publisher? Thanks in advance ... migrating to the latest is a lot to think about! 

17 minutes ago, Designing Woman said:

Is Font Book on a  Mac enough with the newer .otf open type format?

I’m on Windows, where the Affinity apps automatically update the font cache when they detect any loading/unloading of fonts that I perform via my font manager. I think Font Book should be enough for you to do something similar on your Mac.

Another question: can I open Illustrator .ai or .eps in Designer or InDesign files in Publisher?

You can only open AI files which have been saved as PDF-compatible (so that there’s a PDF stream for the Affinity apps to read) but you should be able to open most EPS files. We can’t currently open INDD or even IDML files in Publisher, but IDML import (and export?) is expected to be added eventually.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

4 hours ago, Callum said:

We don't have an exact ETA for the launch of Publisher but it should be around the end of the year.

The end of this year ? :)

I had better save my Xmas budget by cutting down on unnecessary expenses, like presents for the family. They never liked me anyway :(

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

2 minutes ago, Designing Woman said:

Thanks that info is helpful. Can anyone who uses a Mac chime in on how they manage fonts using Affinity Designer?

I just use Font Book.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

5 hours ago, Designing Woman said:

Thanks that info is helpful. Can anyone who uses a Mac chime in on how they manage fonts using Affinity Designer?

I have 313 fonts, many of them added to the Apple fonts and ranging from the plain to the very intricate (think Augsburger Initials) in my MAC Font Book.   Some are TT fonts, many are OTF fonts.   Affinity Publisher (the beta version we are all working with now) handles them all perfectly!!  I don't know about Designer, but don't see why not.   

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9