You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher Public Beta - 1.7.0.167

5 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Note: On WIndows 10 I had to drag the Preview Mode icon from the Customise Toolbar dialog to get it (after resetting the user defaults); it wasn't on the toolbar by default (as the text in the first post seems to suggest). Don't know if this is expected behaviour or not.

I had to drag it there too. And as you can see on my Signature, I also use Windows 10.

Best regards!

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

Note: On WIndows 10 I had to drag the Preview Mode icon from the Customise Toolbar dialog to get it (after resetting the user defaults); it wasn't on the toolbar by default (as the text in the first post seems to suggest). Don't know if this is expected behaviour or not.

I also reset the user defaults, and Preview Mode is not on the Toolbar. I see that Baseline Grid is also missing. Both should appear between the Wrapping and Snapping icons, but it's blank:
image.png.7d6570cbf3a5cc49ce3721d5e5bb241c.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
26 minutes ago, rjo said:

Installation failed : 1.7.0.167

Sorry it may not seem like it but the installation was successful. Build 1.7.0.167 does not run on Windows 7. We will release a new build as soon as we can. in the meantime please uninstall 1.7.0.167 and continue to use 1.7.0.162 instead

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff
29 minutes ago, rjo said:

Sorry Patrick 1.7.0.162 no go.

Was this after manually uninstalling build 1.7.0.167?  If not, first please restart the machine and then manually uninstall  build 1.7.0.167 first.

Your next step is to restart the machine and try the 1.7.0.162 installer again please

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

On 11/13/2018 at 8:05 PM, jobeyb said:

Hi Chris_K

Checked log, got this - see attached. But AP was installed from download folder - I think. Is there some way to check?

error.jpg

You get that screen if there is something wrong with Windows installer. You might want to fix that first.

download link for fix...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed

On 11/13/2018 at 3:48 PM, jobeyb said:

Guess what. Still getting setup failed. Not got a lot of hair left!

Tried restarting.

I notice there is nothing about curing setup failed in updates and fixes. Perhaps they've not noticed!

and you will not get any help from Serif. This is the response I got ' As Publisher is in beta at the moment we only provide support through our Support Forums. Please make a post about this in the sub forum found below. and I've tried to install on three win 10 64 bit PCs, all failed

37 minutes ago, Wolfie2 said:

and you will not get any help from Serif.

Hi @Wolfie2,

I do not understand how you come to post this. Serif's staff is all over the place (= forum) posting help and instructions.
They even pointed you on how to get the best of assistance by pointing you to the right forum.

44 minutes ago, Wolfie2 said:

I've tried to install on three win 10 64 bit PCs, all failed

This, of course, must be very frustrating, I am with you there. Here I installed on a Win 10 64 bit PC without a problem. It seems the current beta is having some problems. I am sure the team at Serif will sort out those problems and it will eventually work on your computer as well.

Best regards,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

On 11/13/2018 at 3:48 PM, jobeyb said:

Guess what. Still getting setup failed. Not got a lot of hair left!

Tried restarting.

I notice there is nothing about curing setup failed in updates and fixes. Perhaps they've not noticed!

Oh! they know about it because I've told them. Their reply was as this is a Beta they will not get involved. They say that is what the forums are for.

• Staff
19 minutes ago, Wolfie2 said:

Oh! they know about it because I've told them. Their reply was as this is a Beta they will not get involved. They say that is what the forums are for.

There are some things that only the (small) QA team and the developers can help resolve, and the customer service and support team members are advised to put all issues here on the forums. Different staff and different ways to support the software before release and after.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

2 hours ago, Wolfie2 said:

and you will not get any help from Serif.

3 hours ago (an hour before you posted that comment) you got a response from Serif to a thread that you created about this.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks for the updates. Still unable to install directly over the previous version on a single try without rebooting, though. Windows 10 (1803), updating Publisher from beta .162.

Logs are attached for three installation attempts. You'll note that the failures seem to be permission-related...but the failure and success both happen while logged in as the same user, with the same UAC popup approval given. So my best guess is that there's some issue with a lock on the folder involved (or a file in it) that's still active at the point that the uninstaller or installer is trying to delete or modify the item in question.

Attempt 1: After running Publisher to check whether I had the latest version, exited, downloaded the newest, and ran the installer. Installation failed.

Attempt 2: Tried again immediately. Installation failed.

Attempt 3: Rebooted, logged back in as the same user. Ran the same installer. Installed successfully, and launches successfully.

Publisher .167 install logs.zip

• Staff

@JFisher please check the cause of these and pass onto development

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

On 11/13/2018 at 3:51 PM, dominik said:

Can anyone explain what 'Thin Space handling' is?

Unicode defines various fixed width spaces, including one called a Thin Space. Previously long lines could be broken at a thin space; now they can't; it is treated as a non-breaking space instead. This is preferred behaviour when the thin space is used as a separator in numbers. Also, previously Publisher always used its own widths for fixed spaces, according to their Unicode definitions. Now if the font defines the space, Publisher uses the font's width instead. More discussion at https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/71532-thin-space-should-be-non-breaking-and-fixed-width-157/.

7 hours ago, Dave Harris said:

Unicode defines various fixed width spaces, including one called a Thin Space. Previously long lines could be broken at a thin space; now they can't; it is treated as a non-breaking space instead. This is preferred behaviour when the thin space is used as a separator in numbers. Also, previously Publisher always used its own widths for fixed spaces, according to their Unicode definitions. Now if the font defines the space, Publisher uses the font's width instead. More discussion at https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/71532-thin-space-should-be-non-breaking-and-fixed-width-157/.

Many thanks for taking time to explain. I was on a completely different track and did not think of a unicode entity :)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

On 11/13/2018 at 7:27 PM, artbraune said:

Getting the same error - Windows 7 - 64bit.

Same problem here, also Windows 7 - 64 bit.

EDIT: I tried to install the previous version instead, and it failed. Now I do not have any working version of APub :(

EDIT2: Removing the program and re-installing the .162 was successful.

Edited by WordHammer
More info

• Staff

This build has been replaced by the a newer one. Currently 1.7.0.174 but any later one would be pinned to the top of the forum

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd